Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Pop-Up Sun Canopy - One Man Operation?

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  smokinjoe 
#1 ·
Anyone have one of those Ez-Up or similar sun canopy things? Can I achieve a one man erection? (that should fill the thread up). I see reviews saying "You need 3 people". I also see YouTubes of one person doing it.

I gotta get some shade to be able to work on my van and I need to be able to move the thing around to wherever I might be working on it. So the ARB style camp awning won't do what I want. I need the four legs on the ground, free standing style.

Can ONE man get the thing up?

Lump

#3 ·
I've got a 10x10 EZ-Up. I can get it up all by myself (continue the jokes started by Lumpy's post), but it's easier with a second person.

Pull out both legs on one side until your arms can't streatch far enough, then do one leg at a time until they're as far apart as they go. Get the top secured to each corner. Slide up one post one notch, move to the next, move to the third, move to the fourth. Move the first up another notch, repeat.

#5 ·
I just bought a cheap $49 10 x 10 at Dicks and got it up while Jane watched. It will be used for tailgating and so it will straddle overtop of the...tailgate of the Astro. There were a few times when only one leg could touch the ground while I spread the other legs apart. I'm sure it would get tougher with a 12 x 12.

#6 ·
I have found that getting my 12x up by myself can sometimes be a chore. It's always nice when you have an extra body around to give it that extra pull here and there. I have used a maximum of 5 to help once in a while. I find it easy to spread the legs perfectly into place as long as it is lightly lubricated, not too much, not too little, for just the right amount of friction.

For this intended usage, the bigger the better, unless you are only doing rear end work. However if you are only working with a 10x or smaller, you will probably be able to get and keep it up using only your two hands.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.