Intermittant noise... Stumped .... Opinions?

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

Intermittant noise... Stumped .... Opinions?

Postby tommckay [OP] » August 3rd 2010, 10:02pm

OK, Here's the story......

I was out in the Van today, everything was fine, running & driving great. Stopped at a drive thru and had to pull up and wait for part of the order. After they gave me my order, I pulled away and heard a horrible clanking and metallic rubbing noise. It was LOUD, I stopped in the parking lot and got out expecting to see the tail pipe or something dragging on the ground & flopping around. Nothing. Everything looked like it's supposed to. The van was running fine with no drivability issues so I got back in and took off. There was a slight noise after that, but no where near as bad as that one time. I drove back home (10mi or so) and the noise pretty much quit, but I was now hearing/feeling a grind when coming to a stop. I thought that maybe the brake hardware in one of the rear drums broke apart, was making the horrible noises while bouncing around inside the drum but then settled and stuck somewhere causing the grind I was now hearing. Logical, no?

I took the van directly to my neighborhood muffler & brake shop to have them check the brakes. They called me back a couple hours later, told me the brakes are fine, no issues there. But the Catalytic converter was rattling real bad & the rear end was making noise. Said they have a Safari van (they gave me a ride home in it) that has the same rear end noise mine does & to "join the club" :lol: . They said they would be happy to install a test pipe to eliminate the Cat if I wanted. I did have them put the test pipe on so I can give it a longevity test for quality of the pipe ;) . I drove it home and the grind is gone, but there is a mild "tick" as I go at low speeds.

So the question needing opinions on is this: Anyone else ever experience something like this? And, any ideas on what may have happened? Could that type of noise come from a Cat busting up?

I figure with the loud noises I heard, if it was the rear end the van wouldn't be able to go anywhere except on a hook. If a rear end makes noise like that it ain't gonna just go away on it's own.

All you experts sound off!
Why do it if it ain't fun?
95 Astro Cargo (for winter and RC hauling)
90 Honda Goldwing (Ridden as much as possible)
07 Kia Rondo (Wife's car)
Original Poster [OP]
tommckay
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: tommckay has been a member for 11 full yearstommckay has been a member for 11 full yearstommckay has been a member for 11 full yearstommckay has been a member for 11 full yearstommckay has been a member for 11 full yearstommckay has been a member for 11 full yearstommckay has been a member for 11 full yearstommckay has been a member for 11 full yearstommckay has been a member for 11 full yearstommckay has been a member for 11 full yearstommckay has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 19
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3 RWD Cargo

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • No heat has got me stumped
    by teafreak35 » October 24th 2020, 6:24pm in Climate Control
    3 Replies
    Last post by chevymaher View the latest post
    October 24th 2020, 10:57pm
  • engine noise and over heating
    by lukas » August 9th 2020, 4:02pm in Engines
    1 Replies
    Last post by Mmusicman View the latest post
    August 9th 2020, 8:02pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    January 19th 2021, 10:01am

Re: Intermittant noise... Stumped .... Opinions?

Postby cowboydan » August 3rd 2010, 10:11pm

yes the cat can. i'm pretty sure that it has some kind it batting, when it wears out, the cat rattles. the rattle will, over time crack and begin to fall apart.
Last edited by cowboydan on August 3rd 2010, 10:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
97 astro 4.3w AWD hotrod stand in and multi purpose custom cruizer: DD
2006 sebring 2.7 touring: DD
1990 f150 super cab 5.8/ 351w dual fuel: dq
1980 buick regal sport coupe???
1976 460/c6 ford e350 21' motorhome project
cowboydan
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: cowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 67
Alias (AKA): cbd
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3w CL AWD

Postby cowboydan » August 3rd 2010, 10:20pm

your rear end noise is could be ring and pinion bad mesh, loose crush sleeve, low on diff fluid. all including ones not mentioned can leave you on the side of the road, you do have a small drivability window, if you got it home, great. i wouldn't drive it unless it's to a shop.
97 astro 4.3w AWD hotrod stand in and multi purpose custom cruizer: DD
2006 sebring 2.7 touring: DD
1990 f150 super cab 5.8/ 351w dual fuel: dq
1980 buick regal sport coupe???
1976 460/c6 ford e350 21' motorhome project
cowboydan
Years of Membership: cowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 67
Alias (AKA): cbd
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3w CL AWD

Postby Leeann_93 » August 3rd 2010, 10:29pm

Also, the heat shield on the cat can come loose and rattle around like you wouldn't believe.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby tedanderson » August 4th 2010, 1:12am

x2 on the heat shield. I ignored it until it fell off. Also, the last time I heard a grinding type of noise, it happened to be my water pump. But I didn't figure this out until it started to leak.
tedanderson
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: tedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 76
Alias (AKA): 2Big4aMiniVan
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

Postby LEVE » August 4th 2010, 2:07am

So the question needing opinions on is this: Anyone else ever experience something like this? And, any ideas on what may have happened? Could that type of noise come from a Cat busting up?
I've never heard a cat converter causes a grinding sound. If the honeycomb is rusted/corroded and starting to fall apart I'd be surprised if it made that type of sound.
The van was running fine with no drivability issues so I got back in and took off.
Even if it did... there should be a noticeable loss of power.
LEVE
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: LEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 18
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: AWD 4.3L-W

Postby tommckay [OP] » August 4th 2010, 4:14am

Yeah.... the initial noise I heard definitely had a clunk & grind in it. That's why when i got out for the visual I expected to see the tailpipe dangling or bumping the driveshaft... Something! When it went away & I felt/heard a grind when rolling to a stop I figured it could be brake hardware loose in the drum. But no. The van ran great coming home other than the mild tick I heard, and I've heard identical type ticks before. One from a tweaked backplate rubbing the rear brake drum. I've had it checked now, I'll keep an "ear" on it to see if I hear more.

I wonder.... I turned the van off while waiting for the food, when I re-started it could the cat have had a catostrophic failure and sent pieces of honeycomb bumping and grinding down the exhaust pipe? Never heard of that, but????? Still doesn't seem like it would produce the kind of noise I heard.

Very strange. But the van seems fine.
Why do it if it ain't fun?
95 Astro Cargo (for winter and RC hauling)
90 Honda Goldwing (Ridden as much as possible)
07 Kia Rondo (Wife's car)
Original Poster [OP]
tommckay
Years of Membership: tommckay has been a member for 11 full yearstommckay has been a member for 11 full yearstommckay has been a member for 11 full yearstommckay has been a member for 11 full yearstommckay has been a member for 11 full yearstommckay has been a member for 11 full yearstommckay has been a member for 11 full yearstommckay has been a member for 11 full yearstommckay has been a member for 11 full yearstommckay has been a member for 11 full yearstommckay has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 19
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 4.3 RWD Cargo

Postby astroturf » August 4th 2010, 4:15am

tommckay wrote:Yeah.... the initial noise I heard definitely had a clunk & grind in it. That's why when i got out for the visual I expected to see the tailpipe dangling or bumping the driveshaft... Something! When it went away & I felt/heard a grind when rolling to a stop I figured it could be brake hardware loose in the drum. But no. The van ran great coming home other than the mild tick I heard, and I've heard identical type ticks before. One from a tweaked backplate rubbing the rear brake drum. I've had it checked now, I'll keep an "ear" on it to see if I hear more.

I wonder.... I turned the van off while waiting for the food, when I re-started it could the cat have had a catostrophic failure and sent pieces of honeycomb bumping and grinding down the exhaust pipe? Never heard of that, but????? Still doesn't seem like it would produce the kind of noise I heard.

Very strange. But the van seems fine.

Keep an eye

And keep us posted

Thanks Tom

Jim
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 112
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 2wd Passenger

Postby rev_les » August 4th 2010, 4:26am

drop that dif cover and check everything out.Esp check for the bolt that retains the cross pin backing out, it'll make it sound like all hell's breaking loose, and cause a "tick" that goes with speed. ( more of a hammering sound, truthfully, but I suppose it depends on how far it's out) Inspect the teeth on the spiders too :mrgreen:
Figure out the problem before buying parts
NRA Lifetime Member
2'nd amendment supporter
'13 Jeep Patriot
'01 Safari 150K 4.3 "W" 3.42's
'87 Monte Carlo SS
'79 Avco 32' RV
rev_les
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: rev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA): Les
Extra Info: LS 4.3 RWD