really only ONE diesel swap?

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

Re: really only ONE diesel swap?

Postby Taffy25 » September 16th 2010, 9:58am

Mines done and running making it 3 i know of, due to the price of stock parts for the 6.2 its still sat in the garage, i used a ford 2.5 di, cheap but tough i can pick up engine+ gearbox (mt75) for about £120 meaning if i kill one i can just get another quickly.

It is a pretty underpowerd engine mind they come with 76 hp 90 and 120 for the turbo intercooled although you can get 160 hp out of it with stock internals just by swapping out the injectors and fitting a bigger turbo.

Do miss that v6 though.
Taffy25
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Taffy25 has been a member for 11 full yearsTaffy25 has been a member for 11 full yearsTaffy25 has been a member for 11 full yearsTaffy25 has been a member for 11 full yearsTaffy25 has been a member for 11 full yearsTaffy25 has been a member for 11 full yearsTaffy25 has been a member for 11 full yearsTaffy25 has been a member for 11 full yearsTaffy25 has been a member for 11 full yearsTaffy25 has been a member for 11 full yearsTaffy25 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 37
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: vin z 2.5 D rwd

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Diesel heater exhaust
    by copperhead » October 13th 2020, 2:29am in Climate Control
    5 Replies
    Last post by Astrocurious View the latest post
    October 20th 2020, 11:47am
  • 99 swap to 01 motor and trans? Or LV3 & 6l80 swap?
    by kade225 » October 28th 2020, 11:38pm in Engines
    6 Replies
    Last post by stent View the latest post
    October 30th 2020, 9:53am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    November 27th 2020, 9:57am

Postby biggreenoger [OP] » December 22nd 2010, 8:08am

Bringing it Back from the dead thred zone! The Diesel swaps ARE NOW HERE. Two that are up and running - two in the building stages, and one of those closing in on the finish line.
Lets see, I don't remember the engine used in the first swap, but the latest up and running van sports a GM 6.5L (soon to be Turbo we hope). And now a '80s M-Bens 4 bangger with a stick trans in a shorty (how cool). And my own build 5.9L cummins 4x4 monster.
I think we might be onto something here.. :swerve:
Life's a GAS, It can at times make you laugh or smell real BAD!
Original Poster [OP]
biggreenoger
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: biggreenoger has been a member for 10 full yearsbiggreenoger has been a member for 10 full yearsbiggreenoger has been a member for 10 full yearsbiggreenoger has been a member for 10 full yearsbiggreenoger has been a member for 10 full yearsbiggreenoger has been a member for 10 full yearsbiggreenoger has been a member for 10 full yearsbiggreenoger has been a member for 10 full yearsbiggreenoger has been a member for 10 full yearsbiggreenoger has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA): Jake
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4x4 1Ton Cummins

Postby Van-GO » June 29th 2017, 11:26pm

I see an 1987 Astro with a 454 installed. It did not have an air conditioner compressor installed but there was enough room on the top of the engine for a small child to crawl over the radiator and curl up on top of the motor. I couldn't believe what I was seeing in the available amount of room on top.
Van-GO
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Van-GO has been a member for 12 full yearsVan-GO has been a member for 12 full yearsVan-GO has been a member for 12 full yearsVan-GO has been a member for 12 full yearsVan-GO has been a member for 12 full yearsVan-GO has been a member for 12 full yearsVan-GO has been a member for 12 full yearsVan-GO has been a member for 12 full yearsVan-GO has been a member for 12 full yearsVan-GO has been a member for 12 full yearsVan-GO has been a member for 12 full yearsVan-GO has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA): VanGeorge, DR Gyro and Van-GO
Van Model Year: 2005
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

Postby 97cargocrawler » June 30th 2017, 12:40am

biggreenoger wrote:Bringing it Back from the dead thred zone! The Diesel swaps ARE NOW HERE. Two that are up and running - two in the building stages, and one of those closing in on the finish line.
Lets see, I don't remember the engine used in the first swap, but the latest up and running van sports a GM 6.5L (soon to be Turbo we hope). And now a '80s M-Bens 4 bangger with a stick trans in a shorty (how cool). And my own build 5.9L cummins 4x4 monster.
I think we might be onto something here.. :swerve:

There's at least 2 other 6.5L swaps that I've seen on the web. Plenty of room. Turbos are easily relocated too.
97cargocrawler
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): KING OF OVERKILL
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Previous