Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Maintenance

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  tex star detail 
#1 ·
After Thanksgiving I will be making a move from up North down to the South. My van has approximately 162k miles on it. What kind of maintenance do I need to have done between now and then. As far as what's been done, the only things that I know for sure that have been done are a coolant flush, brakes, oil changes, fuel pump, air filter. I'm planning on doing the from and rear diffs and transfer case this weekend.

#5 ·
Duck Hunter said:
get an AAA card.. I got one for christmas..
X2......make sure the tires are good, and properly inflated,clean windshield,rain x or aquapel, carry water with you, ( just in case) sedate the kids, and you oughtta be ok. Where ya heading to?

#6 ·
My 2 scents:

1998 is starting to sound like a long time ago. With over 150k mi, I would look under the truck for signs of rust and wear. Especially the suspension and steering stuff.

These trucks are notorious for idler arms, ball joints, sway bar link bolts. In the rear, check out the spring retainers, and anchor plates, you may find these plates somewhat eroded.

Next thing I would recommend is to check out the motor and tranny mounts. The motor mounts are captive, but when they ultimately fail, will give you terrible vibes @ Idle.

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.