Actual Cash Value: Should I push the issue?

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

Actual Cash Value: Should I push the issue?

Postby gastropod [OP] » January 21st 2016, 11:22pm

I am making settlement with the insurance company on my totalled '03 Safari SLT.
I received a letter stating how they determined the "Actual Cash Value", and if I have "additional information you wish us to consider, or if you believe we have not correctly determined the Actual Cash Value of your vehicle, please contact us."
I am kinda new to the Astro/Safari world, so I don't know too much about the "value" of these vans overall.
What I can say about mine is that it was very clean, no rust, never hit (very minor dent on left rear corner), interior clean and complete. Everything worked except for a couple very minor things like a light bulb in the radio, fan blower motor 'high' setting burned out. Just turned 170K the morning of the accident. Mechanically it was in really great shape, no oil leaks (that left puddles, maybe some weeping here and there), new rear brakes. Heck, two days prior I had put 378 miles on it delivering and picking up parts for work!
In researching the vin of the vehicle, and having looked at many of them while shopping for not only this one, but the one I bought to replace it, the one that got wrecked seemed to be "optioned out" quite a bit. Things like roof rack, running boards, pinstriping, G80 posi rear end, premium stereo w/rear controls, rear a/c, leather wrapped steering wheel, power front seat, overhead console, garage door opened, whatever a "driver convenience package (merchandising option)" is, etc. A breakdown can be seen in the vcvs section here: http://gm.17vin.com/vin/1gkdm19x93b516785

Anyway, they feel that the ACV is $5474. After some additional fees (that add on to what I get), minus my deductible and buyback, I would get just under $4900. Now that some of the dust has settled, and I have been shopping and looking, I haven't seen many that seem to have as much "stuff" as mine did.

I am not sure if what they offered is low, on target, or acceptable. It is more than I paid, and I am good with that aspect. I am also not sure how much I want to push the issue if it would only be a minimum difference between what they offered and what I "could get". I really don't want to spend a whole bunch of time looking online for similar examples, only to find they have sold for less! I did the KBB online thing, sell to private party, and the price was closer to 4K.

Anyway, any advice, pricing opinions, links to similar vehicles (sold or for sale), etc, would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jon
Jon
Original Poster [OP]
gastropod
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: gastropod has been a member for 6 full yearsgastropod has been a member for 6 full yearsgastropod has been a member for 6 full yearsgastropod has been a member for 6 full yearsgastropod has been a member for 6 full yearsgastropod has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 17
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 2WD SLT

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • ACTUAL fuel tank capacity?
    by Giesterfarher » July 22nd 2020, 8:52pm in Technical Information
    21 Replies
    Last post by TBLBill View the latest post
    September 26th 2020, 5:44pm
  • Upper Dutch door no response to push button
    by snailsafari » July 13th 2020, 5:12am in Exterior
    19 Replies
    Last post by snailsafari View the latest post
    July 22nd 2020, 5:05am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    October 30th 2020, 8:47am

Re: Actual Cash Value: Should I push the issue?

Postby chevymaher » January 21st 2016, 11:35pm

It is a set value in the book. You aint getting a dime more. I go through it all the time with mine. Talk is cheap but you are not replacing my van for the pathetic 900 bucks they give you. Lets see we went from a newly painted van with less than 60 thousand on anything in the drivetrain to 600 million miles rust and clearcoat off on 90% of the vehicle. And it knocks smokes and the trans slips. Because that is all your getting for 900 bucks.

Welcome to the world of insurance scamming.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby Lumpy » January 21st 2016, 11:36pm

They're offering you almost $5500 for a vehicle that's 13 yrs old, out of production and has 170,000 miles on the odometer. And is totalled.

Does that make the answer simpler?

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby AstroWill » January 22nd 2016, 12:03am

That seems perfectly in line.
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 106
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby Leeann_93 » January 22nd 2016, 12:33am

Unfortunately, it's in line.

An a$$ illegally turned left in front of me (two minivan drivers waved him over as okay to go - they were stopped - but I was in the third lane) while left turns were prohibited and totaled the 1981 4-dr Chevy Celebrity with carbureted 2.8L V6 slush box, manual windows and locks and push-button AM/FM radio, rear defroster, no cruise control I'd inherited from my grandmother less than a year before. When I inherited it, it had 16,200 miles on it. When totaled, it had 37,648 miles on it. This happened Friday, October 13, 2000, by the way.

The insurance company gave me a whole $1475 for the car. It was pristine; forest green metallic, tan "leather" interior, no scratches or dents, everything damn well worked. Ran beautifully, got 25 mpg. Had 10-month-old tires and a 2-month-old battery, all maintenance and fluids were recent. Didn't matter. The only reason I got $1475 was because of the low miles. If it had 100,000 or more, I would have gotten $350 for the thing. The insurance person told me.

Explain how I could replace a low-mileage, garage-kept, perfectly-running vehicle for $350? Answer: I couldn't possibly have done so. And they do not care.

So I used my $1400 (needed the $75 for the train fare) and my uncle added $500 and I bought my '92 Chevy Lumina 3.1L V6 slush box 4-dr with cloth (velour-type) seats, cruise control, manual windows and locks, rear defroster with 116,450 miles on it. The dealer I bought it from had to install new rear body mounts (clunk) and a lockup solenoid in the transmission (It would stall when it had been driven 15-20 mins if in gear. Would idle all day.), so I got new trans fluid and filter at the same time. Not exactly a fair trade.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby gastropod [OP] » January 22nd 2016, 1:18am

Thanks for the thoughts and comments. Lump, I did a similar base analysis of the situation, but like I said, I don't know "value" on these. I felt ok with what they offered, but in the back of my mind I was thinking it coudl be just another insurance lowball. I was asking mainly because last time I was in an accident (not my fault, guy ran a red light and hit me... hey, it's like deja vu all over again!) the insurance tried to screw me on the price and I had to fight it. I eventually won and got a significantly higher price for my totalled vehicle. I'm not looking to retire on this, just don't want to be shortchanged either. I think at this time I am not going to pursue it any further unless someone comes up with a super compelling reason for me to do so.
Thanks again

Jon
Jon
Original Poster [OP]
gastropod
Years of Membership: gastropod has been a member for 6 full yearsgastropod has been a member for 6 full yearsgastropod has been a member for 6 full yearsgastropod has been a member for 6 full yearsgastropod has been a member for 6 full yearsgastropod has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 17
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 2WD SLT

Postby markmitch » January 22nd 2016, 1:28am

biggest legal scam in the world- I had a license for 19 years had one speeding ticket and no accidents was the 3 car in a 4 car accident the second car driver was the only one hurt, she had revoked license, illegal tags, no state required safety inspection, and no insurance any of these in the state of Maine makes you automatically at fault in any accident. Yet my insurance company paid the claim and my rates tripled. OK so what happened to the 19 years of me paying into something I never used? should be outlawed but the government gets paid from that too. By the way 13 is considered unlucky only because of the hang-mans noose. in order for it to work properly it has to be looped around itself 13 times any less or more it won't work, just a bit of trivia from an old guy that reads to much lol.
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 608
Alias (AKA): AstroMark or 1st gen
Extra Info: RS V8

Postby Lumpy » January 22nd 2016, 3:00am

markmitch wrote:biggest legal scam in the world-...

The medical corporate structure is the biggest legal scam. But I suppose that's because of it's insurance relationship too. So one way or another...Insurance... :whack:

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby AstroWill » January 22nd 2016, 3:07am

Then again, this could be one of those 'collectors' vans for serious people, I hear they can command up to $20,000, you should take that ad into the insurance company.
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 106
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby gavio » January 22nd 2016, 3:24am

Things like roof rack, running boards, pinstriping, G80 posi rear end, premium stereo w/rear controls, rear a/c, leather wrapped steering wheel, power front seat, overhead console, garage door opened, whatever a "driver convenience package

Except for the G80 and the running boards, the rest of that is part of the LT or SLT package, so find another LT or SLT and you should have most of the goodies you are used to.... (caveat, sometimes a customer could special order delete one or more of those items)....

As for value, that's always tough because prices can be all over the board... In this case it seems that the 170k miles is seriously not in your favor.... That said, if you could find enough comparables (age, mileage, options) in your area that were selling for way more than $5500, you have the right to make a case, and if you are persistent enough, they will pay more (I've been through it twice, but both were cars that were rare and valuable enough to make a case)... You need a solid case, though, and I suspect it would be difficult to come up with evidence to justify a value enough higher to be worth the effort....

Probably a more useful question is, can you find another for what they are offering? If so, yer golden....
2004 Safari, 4 inch lift, NP-231 t-case, 255/70/16 BFGs, home-brewed pop top, full camper, on-board propane, lions and tigers and bears, oh my.....
gavio
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: gavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 77
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: AWD

Postby tedanderson » January 22nd 2016, 5:34am

Pushing the issue could get you more money but you would have to really know your numbers and have comparable sources. It's to the adjuster's benefit to err on the higher side so they don't have to pay out the claim themselves. The smaller insurance agencies are usually underwritten by a larger carrier so it is to their benefit to pay out the larger claims. It's just that they have to be able to justify the reasoning. They go by their pre-set price based on the condition of the vehicle (minus the damage) and if you are able to prove that a comparable vehicle is readily available on the open market for a higher price, they'll be able to justify the difference.
tedanderson
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: tedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 76
Alias (AKA): 2Big4aMiniVan

Postby plymouthcranbrook » January 26th 2016, 3:49am

Ever think about who finances a lot of the commercial building in America(and probably elsewhere as well). The Insurance companies. Now you know how they do it.
plymouthcranbrook
Years of Membership: plymouthcranbrook has been a member for 10 full yearsplymouthcranbrook has been a member for 10 full yearsplymouthcranbrook has been a member for 10 full yearsplymouthcranbrook has been a member for 10 full yearsplymouthcranbrook has been a member for 10 full yearsplymouthcranbrook has been a member for 10 full yearsplymouthcranbrook has been a member for 10 full yearsplymouthcranbrook has been a member for 10 full yearsplymouthcranbrook has been a member for 10 full yearsplymouthcranbrook has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: allwheel drive