the nightmare begins....

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

the nightmare begins....

Postby damnadodge [OP] » April 9th 2016, 1:44am

well this isn't an astro, but i thought i would give y'all a stab at it anyway since you's all's have been so helpful in the past :D ....here goes. i got an 1993 chevy conversion van, not a high top and a short wheelbase. my estute landlord was doing his yearly hiring of the lawn crew for the 3 grass cuts we get a year, and one of the fine lawn technicians thought it was a good idea to move from yard to yard via the gravel parking lot in between without shutting off the mower....thats right, as you can probably guess i was the lone recipient of a rock to the window. now that i have researched the window, i cant seem to find anyone to tackle it without some serious difficulty. i might try to do it myself, but i cannot figure out how to get the window out of the frame. i could just get someone to make a glass if i can just get it in the frame. its one of those aluminum frames with one seam at the top. and of course they do not make the whole frame with the glass in it anymore in that size. thanks in advance

steve

Original Poster [OP]
damnadodge
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: damnadodge has been a member for 8 full yearsdamnadodge has been a member for 8 full yearsdamnadodge has been a member for 8 full yearsdamnadodge has been a member for 8 full yearsdamnadodge has been a member for 8 full yearsdamnadodge has been a member for 8 full yearsdamnadodge has been a member for 8 full yearsdamnadodge has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 26
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1990
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • And so it begins, my van build
    by mglsite » October 17th 2020, 11:02pm in Projects/Builds
    3 Replies
    Last post by mglsite View the latest post
    October 18th 2020, 12:36am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    February 28th 2021, 2:00pm

Re: the nightmare begins....

Postby Lumpy » April 9th 2016, 1:46am

The glass company that your landlord's insurance company hires should have no trouble.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby damnadodge [OP] » April 9th 2016, 1:50am

neither of us did the insurance thing. i did not file a claim with mine because i dont want to give them an excuse to jack up my rates even if it was not my fault. have zero trust in insurance companies. the landlord said just send him the bill.
Original Poster [OP]
damnadodge
Years of Membership: damnadodge has been a member for 8 full yearsdamnadodge has been a member for 8 full yearsdamnadodge has been a member for 8 full yearsdamnadodge has been a member for 8 full yearsdamnadodge has been a member for 8 full yearsdamnadodge has been a member for 8 full yearsdamnadodge has been a member for 8 full yearsdamnadodge has been a member for 8 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby damnadodge [OP] » April 9th 2016, 1:55am

the problem really is finding someone who knows how to get the window in the existing frame. the only replacement ones i have found are the wrong size.
Original Poster [OP]
damnadodge
Alias (AKA):

Postby Lumpy » April 9th 2016, 2:01am

damnadodge wrote:
...the landlord said just send him the bill.

CargoCrawler might have some ideas. He installed some similar windows in his planter box.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Davo2530 » April 9th 2016, 3:42am

I have had several glass claims and it has never caused a rate increase, at least check it out to know for sure. Especially since you are up against it to find a replacement window. You don't have to file a claim to get information from your insurance company.
Davo2530
Years of Membership: Davo2530 has been a member for 5 full yearsDavo2530 has been a member for 5 full yearsDavo2530 has been a member for 5 full yearsDavo2530 has been a member for 5 full yearsDavo2530 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 20
Alias (AKA): Dave
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: 186kmiles

Postby Lumpy » April 9th 2016, 4:30am

It shouldn't be YOUR auto insurance company that's paying the claim. It should be the property owner's liability insurance (or his out of pocket, apparently as he's offered).

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Alias (AKA):

Postby RECox286 » April 9th 2016, 6:29am

IIRC... Look closely at the rubber gasket that holds the glass into the sheet metal. There should be

an insert (separate piece that works almost like a zipper) that expands the gasket to hold the glass

tight in the hole. Examine the bottom profile around the middle. The white stripe should be jointed

and you should be able to remove it from the gasket with a pick. After the "zipper" is out, the glass

shouldn't be too difficult to remove. Putting it back together is just as simple, especially if you slather

some plain Goop or Go Jo on the entire gasket first, then insert it into the sheet metal, followed by the

glass, and finally the "zipper" to expand the gasket. At least that is how it worked on my old full sized

vans. If you are having difficulty finding the right sized glass, try any glass shop, or auto glass service

like Safelite, etc.

Uncle Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby 97cargocrawler » April 9th 2016, 8:57am

I'm not sure exactly how the glass is replaced, you may need to remove some of the riveted channels.

You might check out

http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/showline/default.aspx?GroupID=21889

They may either have an complete replacement or just the glass...and maybe even customer service telling you how to go about it.
97cargocrawler
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): KING OF OVERKILL
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby damnadodge [OP] » April 10th 2016, 2:06am

i checked with crlaurence and they did say the glass could be replaced. they said the frame is clamped together somehow............so bob, if i remove the outer part of the frame that is between the aluminum frame and the van, the glass will slide out? wont that remove the entire assembly from the van?
Original Poster [OP]
damnadodge
Alias (AKA):

Postby RECox286 » April 10th 2016, 3:45am

I kid you not when I say I only have had experience with the gaskets when I used to do my own glass work.

I never had to deal with the style window you are showing. If it is the "zipper" style profile, then the whole

ball o' wax will come out as one piece. You may want to involve Safelight, as they have a lot more experience

factor with glazings. Have you determined whether or not it is indeed a "zipper" profile ? It is real difficult to

look at the pics from way over here where I'm sitting and be able to guess about (???) details.

Uncle Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby redfury » April 10th 2016, 5:02am

It may be as simple as a bunch of screws holding it together. That's the way they do a lot of windows on fiberglass toppers. It's an aluminum 2 piece design...inner and outer sections. You probably just have an insert hiding the screws.
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

Postby damnadodge [OP] » April 10th 2016, 9:15pm

bout ready to find out in a couple of days, going to drive it over to the glass guy tomorrow. all i had was pics to show him last time. said he was not sure, but he did say he thought the cllaurence guy was full of it and it was not clamped together. we'll see......i'll let yall know how that bad boy comes apart one way or the other.

probably end up doing a mod job myself so he can put the glass in, but sure would like to know how that bad boy comes apart before i get out the sawzall, blow torch and bumper jack :D

thanks
Original Poster [OP]
damnadodge
Alias (AKA):

Postby sixsix » April 11th 2016, 1:44am

Like RECox alluded to - it should not be that difficult to figure out. I think it's that white filler strip - they join at the top.
( some of the shots are oriented funny ).

Seems like the same window "style" used to form enclosures around Machine Tools.
Pulling the "Filler" strip allows enough room for the rubber molding to compress, allowing it to move past the sheetmetal.
Generally to the outside.

Mike

"Ban gerrymandering" out 1 side, then says, "We really need to get rid of the electoral college for starters, there is no way in hell that the person that receives fewer votes wins, simply crazy."
So only CAL, ILL & NY Elects

sixsix
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby damnadodge [OP] » April 11th 2016, 1:56am

not following what you mean by 'shots'.
Original Poster [OP]
damnadodge
Alias (AKA):

Postby sixsix » April 11th 2016, 2:11am

By "Shots" - I should have said Photos. Seems there are a couple upside down and I was going to say bottom, when in fact it was top.
Photo orientation has been a hot button issue here lately. I also did not mean it would be too difficult for you - just maybe give it a longer, closer look - it couldn't hurt to poke around at it a little :poke: with a plastic poker or non scratching implement.

It's already Broken...

Mike

"Ban gerrymandering" out 1 side, then says, "We really need to get rid of the electoral college for starters, there is no way in hell that the person that receives fewer votes wins, simply crazy."
So only CAL, ILL & NY Elects

sixsix
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby damnadodge [OP] » April 11th 2016, 2:55am

true. bout to find out pretty soon.
Original Poster [OP]
damnadodge
Alias (AKA):

Postby tedanderson » April 12th 2016, 1:03pm

damnadodge wrote: i did not file a claim with mine because i dont want to give them an excuse to jack up my rates even if it was not my fault. have zero trust in insurance companies.

I know what you mean. I called the insurance company to get a quote on the Safari the day that I got it. My rate was one amount. Then before the phone call ended, they asked me, "How did you hear about us? Why did you choose us?" I told them that I got crashed into by one of their policy holders and their company treated me very well in the claims process. The next day my rate changed. :(

But I hope all goes well. Anyone in the auto glass business who doesn't know how to fix that window definitely knows someone who does.
tedanderson
Years of Membership: tedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 76
Alias (AKA): 2Big4aMiniVan
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

Postby damnadodge [OP] » April 16th 2016, 2:13am

see, thats what i'm sayin! thanks tedanderson......fine example sir! i trust an insurance company about as much as i trust an electrician with scorched eyebrows.
Original Poster [OP]
damnadodge
Alias (AKA):

Postby damnadodge [OP] » April 16th 2016, 2:28am

alright....here goes. i got the window out and took it to the glass guy, be done in a couple weeks, gotta send off to get glass made. the way this bad boy comes out is you have to unscrew about 15 screws on the inner aluminum ring that is screwed to the frame from the inside. then it just shoves out to the outside. the plastic white subframe ring that goes around the black frame is actually part of the frame, kinda mounted to it. it all comes out as one piece. what you have to do to get another glass in there is remove the two screws on both sides of it that hold the cross bar in, then cut another split line/seam at the bottom to take it apart. the existing seam at the top is held together with 4 screws that go thru a 5 inch brace (in pic). according to the glass guy you cannot pry it apart enough to get another glass in without cutting another seam at the bottom. it was just meant to be replaced as one with the frame and all.

55170551625515455146551305512255114551065509855090550825507455066550585505055042
Original Poster [OP]
damnadodge
Alias (AKA):

Next