Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Fuel pump/fuel lines

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  drew 
#1 ·
I wanted to post this topic in the "Engine" section, but could not find the button for a "New Topic" if a mod could please move this for me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanksgiving weekend, i replaced my Fuel pump on my 2004 2WD Astro Cargo. I have driven it close to 2000 worry-free miles. Upon starting the van yesterday, it cranked but stalled, and fuel ran down from my fuel line send coming from the fuel pump. I climbed under the van to find that the nylon fuel line had come disconnected from the metal flared end fuel line that attaches to the frame. I took a look at everything, everything looked good, and I re-installed the line. I've ran the van at idle in my driveway for close to a half an hour, with no issues. I am kind of stumped as to why this may have happenned, at 60psi, i would believe that the line would have blew apart well before this. i also thought quite possibly i hadn't seated both sides of the blue clip in the nylon hose to the flared metal line properly, when i put the fuel pump in. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of problem?

I searched all throughout this forum over the last day and i noticed that there is an O-ring in this area. when everything is taken apart, where should i see this O-ring? Is it inside the flared end of the nylon hose, between the blue plastic clip and the black nylon hose, or should it be between the blue clip and the flared steel line? if there is no O-ring present on my fuel lines, would it hold pressure at all, or would i be leaking fuel all over the place?

Sorry for all the questions at once, but I am stumped, and leaking fuel makes me nervous.

Thanks in advance for any help.

See less See more
#2 ·
The O rings are located on the inside of the Female Connector.

Might I suggest you spray the Male Connector with some WD40 before you install it. Makes work a lot easier I find.

Hope this helps.:)

#3 ·
Thank you. It's all back together, and i've been pulling and tugging on that line, it doesn't seem that it will come apart again.
I drove the van about 40 miles yesterday, and everything is still in place.
I'm gonna chalk this one up to not seating the clip properly when i installed the fuel pump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.