Dutch door will not open handle loose

Dutch door will not open handle loose

Postby zipwood [OP] » December 28th 2016, 5:44am

2003 Safari rear Dutch door is shut and handle will not open. I thought I posted this but, could not find so here it goes again. First off Merry Christmas and all the best in 2017! My rear dutch door is closed and the handle seems to have disengaged from the linkage, ergo, the door will not open. The hatch opens just fine. I just want confirmation that I have to take off the inner cover to get at the linkage. Seems that this is the only way?

Thank you in advance.
Original Poster [OP]
zipwood
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: zipwood has been a member for 5 full yearszipwood has been a member for 5 full yearszipwood has been a member for 5 full yearszipwood has been a member for 5 full yearszipwood has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3l V6 rwd

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Dutch door handle part number?
    by Coyotecamper » September 7th 2020, 4:53am in Exterior
    5 Replies
    Last post by Coyotecamper View the latest post
    September 7th 2020, 8:15pm
  • Rear bottom door wont open
    by Diablo_deth » January 2nd 2021, 7:42am in Exterior
    1 Replies
    Last post by Rod's Trucks View the latest post
    January 2nd 2021, 8:23am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 4th 2021, 10:29am

Re: Dutch door will not open handle loose

Postby juststartin » December 28th 2016, 5:54am

Yeppers, should be pretty obvious once you look inside.
03 Astro Cargo 4.3L RWD
I love Oscar the van....most of the time
juststartin
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: juststartin has been a member for 9 full yearsjuststartin has been a member for 9 full yearsjuststartin has been a member for 9 full yearsjuststartin has been a member for 9 full yearsjuststartin has been a member for 9 full yearsjuststartin has been a member for 9 full yearsjuststartin has been a member for 9 full yearsjuststartin has been a member for 9 full yearsjuststartin has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: cargo 4.3L RWD g80

Postby safariking » December 28th 2016, 6:04am

Not sure this video might help https://youtu.be/sOHjMopkXQw
safariking
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: safariking has been a member for 7 full yearssafariking has been a member for 7 full yearssafariking has been a member for 7 full yearssafariking has been a member for 7 full yearssafariking has been a member for 7 full yearssafariking has been a member for 7 full yearssafariking has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 23
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: SLE 4.3

Postby zipwood [OP] » December 28th 2016, 7:59am

Thanks for this. this is for the "hatch" my issue is with the dutch door. I do think I have to take the inside door skin off.
Original Poster [OP]
zipwood
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: zipwood has been a member for 5 full yearszipwood has been a member for 5 full yearszipwood has been a member for 5 full yearszipwood has been a member for 5 full yearszipwood has been a member for 5 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby TurnNburn » December 28th 2016, 8:26am

Yes the door card needs to come off. Like juststartin said, once you have it opened up it should be pretty obvious. Don't worry if it's broken, that handle is like 10 bucks on Amazon. I just did mine. It's common. Especially when cold.
2000 Astro- Camperized, bumpers, lifted, LS 5.3 V8, 4x4 T-case, Truetrac rear locker, 31x10.5x15 BFG KO2's
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
Build thread- https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?t=103066"
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)
Years of Membership: TurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): iGoogle
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 5.3 4x4 Overlander

Postby Astrofarian » December 28th 2016, 1:46pm

Another Astro with a broken door handle? This is extremely (and SADLY) common. Be sure to fish the busted pieces out of the bottom of the door cavity, you may even be able to rework/repair the handle so you have a spare. But for $10-15, order a new one for peace of mind.
-M!ke-
Move along....all is well.....return to your homes.....nothing to see here.
Astrofarian
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Astrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA): M!ke
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: Someday......

Postby zipwood [OP] » December 29th 2016, 7:08am

Fixed it! As I suspected the Actual DUTCH DOOR LATCH HANDLE was not broken (nor should it have been as it is only a year old). The linkage that connects the DOOR LATCH to the DOOR HANDLE had simply popped off. To fix this, I popped the top hatch, and was able to CAREFULLY POP off the inside door skin. I used a screw drive to pop the latch.

Opened the door, removed the 4 screws that hold the HANDLE ACCESS COVER. Then I reconnected the linkage. This set up is kind of dumb, it really needs a PRESURE FIT "washer" to hold that linkage better into the handle. Hopefully it will not pop out again anytime soon. I also sprayed a bunch of lube all over everything. If this fails again, I will try to find a pressure fit cotter washer, or maybe even attempt to drill a small hole and insert an actual cotter pin, or I will just use what most of you use: Duct Tape :D

The images show the linkage 1) Not Inserted and 2) Inserted Note: the white Nylon pressure fit and how easily the linkage can pop out.

Hop this helps someone with this simple issue.
Original Poster [OP]
zipwood
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Astrofarian » December 29th 2016, 7:53am

Glad I was wrong....and of course, glad to hear you got it fixed!
-M!ke-
Move along....all is well.....return to your homes.....nothing to see here.
Astrofarian
Years of Membership: Astrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA): M!ke
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: Someday......

Postby zipwood [OP] » March 13th 2017, 7:35am

Well it is March 2017 and just an update on the DUTCH DOOR LINKAGE ISSUE. FYI that linkage just pressure fits into a nylon seat. There is no cotter pin or anything. So of course what happened once happened again, the linkage popped out. The only real quick fix was a whack of duct tape. Uggg! But whatever it works. I think the "aftermarket" handle is a bit off spec or my the linkage itself has worn a bit. I guess his is what one can expect with a Vehicle that has about 435,000 km on and a back door that has opened probably 10,000 times. All the best
Original Poster [OP]
zipwood
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):