Van won't start will not crank over

Van won't start will not crank over

Postby wmmalett [OP] » October 30th 2011, 1:10am

Here's what happened..... Fuel pump took a crap but before I realized it I ran the battery dead. Pulled the battery out to charge it. Had window down and instead of putting battery back in to roll the window up my buddy hooked the battery charger up to the battery leads to roll the window up(didn't know at the time). Charged the battery replaced the fuel pump and put recharged battery in van. Everything works but when I turn the ignition to start it nothing. All idiot lights light up and gages work but will not crank over. Swapped battery with a known good one and same thing. Called buddy and he informed me what he did. What kind of damage has been done? What do I need to do to rectify this situation.

Thanks,
Bill
Original Poster [OP]
wmmalett
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: wmmalett has been a member for 9 full yearswmmalett has been a member for 9 full yearswmmalett has been a member for 9 full yearswmmalett has been a member for 9 full yearswmmalett has been a member for 9 full yearswmmalett has been a member for 9 full yearswmmalett has been a member for 9 full yearswmmalett has been a member for 9 full yearswmmalett has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Flickering odometer, then won't crank.
    by Halfdozen » January 17th 2021, 4:12pm in Electrical
    2 Replies
    Last post by Halfdozen View the latest post
    January 19th 2021, 4:26pm
  • Astro van alternator not charging
    by gillang » December 6th 2020, 12:40am in Electrical
    7 Replies
    Last post by dcsleeper View the latest post
    December 7th 2020, 4:00pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    February 25th 2021, 11:48am

Re: Van won't start will not crank over

Postby Big_kid » October 30th 2011, 2:46am

First thing I'd try is putting it in neutral and hit the key. It's a quick and easy test of the neutral safety switch (I once helped push a '77 Monte Carlo a mile down the road due to this). If that doesn't give any results, look at the fusible links on the starter, one may be blown. If this is where your trouble is, it's just a matter of splicing in a replacement.

Good luck, keep us posted, and welcome aboard!
:chevy:
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby paintdrying » October 30th 2011, 2:59am

Ah. I may be something as simple as a fuse. Or not. You need to see where power is going to. Is the fuel pump priming? Is the starter getting power? Get yourself a 12 volt test light and see what fuses are getting power. Post back
1999 chevy astro van awd ls 108,000 miles
parts van 2000 astro rwd 279,000 miles
paintdrying
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: paintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 94
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 108 000

Postby wmmalett [OP] » October 30th 2011, 3:08am

Thanks. I'll give it a try tomorrow and post my results.
Original Poster [OP]
wmmalett
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: wmmalett has been a member for 9 full yearswmmalett has been a member for 9 full yearswmmalett has been a member for 9 full yearswmmalett has been a member for 9 full yearswmmalett has been a member for 9 full yearswmmalett has been a member for 9 full yearswmmalett has been a member for 9 full yearswmmalett has been a member for 9 full yearswmmalett has been a member for 9 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby RECox286 » October 30th 2011, 4:25am

I can't say fer sure, but I doubt if hooking a charger to the cables without having a battery would do any damage at all. As long as there is resistance in a circuit, it should matter not

if there were no batteries, or many batteries. The most that could happen is if there were to be a dead short to ground, in which case there would be zero resistance, and of course the wire

and any thing in front of the short, becomes the fuse, which then is destroyed by unbridled amperage. It is easy enough to use a 12v lightbulb type tester to see if there has been damage

to a fuseable link. But if the only thing used was the window switch to move the motor, the motor has plenty of resistance, and the charger would only be putting 14v into the system, just like

the alternator does when running. Lets "assume" that the charger clips hopefully were hooked to the truck thusly: pos/pos and neg/neg.

Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby wmmalett [OP] » October 31st 2011, 12:35am

I was told that the charger clips were hooked up correctly but he wasn't sure if the charger was switched to boost or not. I tried the neutral thing and still no crank, but I did notice a click that coincided with the turn of the ignition switch. This click noise came from the fuse box area but I was unable to pinpoint exactly where. Was unable to crawl under the van today to start my search for the fuseable links. What exactly do they look like and where are they located? I guess my question is: If the ignition switch wasn't turned far enough to engage the starter is there actually any power going there when the ignition is turned to the first indent in the clockwise position?

Thanks Again for the Help,
Bill
Original Poster [OP]
wmmalett
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Big_kid » October 31st 2011, 3:31am

If the ignition switch wasn't turned far enough to engage the starter is there actually any power going there
Yes. The starter is connected directly to the battery, and the fusible links come off that.

I found this pic searching Google images for fusible link pics. http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=215835 I wanted to give credit where it is due, someone took a lot of time to do a nice writeup on fusible link replacement. It's a Buick forum, but the design is the same.
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8