Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

will Nissan's new van replace the love affair with a/s

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  chevymaher 
#1 ·
I saw this van (actuallly it was a 3500 with full six feet 3 inch standing room) but I think I like this one better.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/dr ... to_00.html

What ya all think. It looks like we finally have a contender/option to replace our aging vans with something new.

#6 ·
Honestly untill these vans as rare as the chevelle.Nothing will replace it.At that point it will sit next to the chevelle and driven on special occasions vacation etc. Then I will move on to the next durable vehicle.
Tahoe, Pathfinder along those lines as they get older.I have certain standards low as they may or may not be.1 Durable and easy to maintain at reasonable cost.These things have not been around near long enough to show their stuff in that category.2 Useful and roomy.Okay they got that one.3 Appealing to my eye.I must enjoy looking at my vehicle.Here I know it a personal choice and everybody likes different things.But I dont even think this will grow on me like mold.It plain butt-ugly to me.Looks like my uncles scion just bigger.And the abuse he takes at family get togethers.The X Box Car. Hey nice van. Or a constant barrage of what possessed you to buy that? No I will pass. :eek:bscene-hanged:

#7 ·
I don't like the looks of the Nissan at all. Looks like a pickup with a shell. Nothing "van-like" to me. A huge part of the fun of driving a van, IMO, is being "close" to the stuff in front of you. Sitting up there with that bus-like, closer to horizontal steering wheel, sitting upright, being an arm's length away from pedestrians in front of you. Not at all like driving a pickup or sedan. I like a box with wheels. Not a swolen station wagon.

Lump

#8 ·
I'm with CM and Lumpy, butt ugly, no fun.
My first van, a '70 Furd, the go pedal was a six inches to a foot in front of the front wheel. My roomates '68 chevy was in the trunk of the car in ahead of you! Your butt was just above the wheel. I loved those vans. I like the short nose of todays vans but working on a van like that '68 was a dream. Toss the seats and dog house way back, set your tools in front of that and you could re-build the motor in a blizzard.

#10 ·
Ya lump and chevymayer (suvs have no sliding door or flat cargo), I suspected I'd have some diehards (believe you me I luv my safaris too), but when you are running a bizz where you should be better off, driving a 7 year old truck starts to be questionable. Yaa one could buy fancy tires and stuff also sometimes new is just nice.

To me it is the first van that has anything close since our beluved got retired.

#11 ·
I give you the being new and function for a business.My buddy who I share the wine colored ford truck with.It is the work horse in my business.Nothing gets loaded in my van dirty.Engines etc.He uses it for the same thing.Steel hauling and we trailer cars etc.So for our purposes the truck better for work.And only gets used occasionally.
Anyway he had a Safari also same age as mine.And his wife used theirs for business as well.It was traded in for the Town and Country van of the top gun video.For 2 good reasons.Mileage and the Astro/Safaris were no longer made.Stow and go seating.Seats fold into the floor by themselves.Being a female the seats in the Safari were a little much to remove for hauling.It has sliding doors on both sides.its gas mileage is about the same.275 HP in his year van.He has already racked up 150 thousand miles it is dependable.It is front wheel drive.Not a bonus in my book.But at least it a good looking vehicle to drive and it rides like a luxury car.So unless your hauling cattle to the Outback steakhouse's slaughter house though he woods like the Top Gun video there are other good options out there.
And I am a diehard your right.When I like something I stick with it.I do my own mechanical work and untill there is no 2006 vans I can pirate parts from for my antique van.Thats what i will drive.In my brothers words.Thats what makes my van cool it so old and still looks brand new.Yea the motor a issue now but I worked for a Volvo dealership in my youth.New vehicles with less than 30 thousand have the same troubles all the time.Engines and trannies go out.So nothing last forever.Once my engine in tranny next it ,will have a new drive train.It will last the rest of my life barring accidents.My brother also said to me.Get over it once it wears some this time and the chevelle done you will do a full restoration like the chevelle.Better paint V-8.Yea a vehicle is an extension of your personality.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.