Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

1996 AWD LT ***SOLD***

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Astro Pop 
#1 ·
It's time to give up on the Astro. I don't have the time or facilities to replace the engine so Black Betty is going up for sale. My daughter borrowed the van and returned it on a tow truck. Overheated the engine now it misses on what appears to be two cylinders and spits water out the tailpipe. At 70 yrs old I'm getting tired of working on the van and need a better tow vehicle. So she's going away. It will be a really good deal, maybe the best deal in the world (to quote baby Pres.) for the right person. Here's the good:

ATRA rebuilt trans with needed upgrades (about 1,000 mi ago), 11" rear brake upgrade, 4 core full aluminum radiator, Cadillac steering wheel with functioning audio controls, Ford center console with B & M shifter, electric dual cooling fans, 4" lift with new poly body mounts, rear spring overload helpers, 250 Amp alternator, new fuel pump with access panel installed, all new computer sensors on engine and RV bed/sofa in back, front Jeep bumper with functioning LED lights. Best of all, it's always been in the Sacramento area....absolutely no RUST.

Just after I bought it (15,0000 mi ago)I put in all new front steering parts including steering box, tie rod ends (MOOG upgrades), shocks, ball joints, control arm bushings and loaded brake calipers. I also have a high flow air intake system on it with upgraded fuel injection system ( about 3 months ago).

Before my daughter overheated the engine I tested compression and found five cylinders at 150 psi and one at 148 psi.
The extra parts to go with it:
NP 233 transfer case and driveshafts to make it fit, most parts for adapting it also.
I live in Sacramento, CA. so for legal purposes I have to sell it for parts only no smog certificate available with the sale.

The bad:
A really screwed engine and needs paint or a re-wrap. The current Matte black is a wrap.

The whole thing is $2,500. That is less that the trans rebuild, which is still under warranty. Oh yeah the best part of all .... it has the very first ever Astro Gen 2 cup holder!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#13 ·
Congrats on the sale - and I'm glad it sold to someone who's going to teach their kid to work on vehicles. That's a good thing.

Nice Escalade, but too bad about the Crossfire. What a cool little car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.