Upper body mount location ??

Upper body mount location ??

Postby Digidonny [OP] » May 30th 2020, 3:13pm

Hey I have an issue ... replaced all 6 body mounts with 2in. spacers and the center body mount on passenger side the upper nut/collar is spinning therefore I can not tighted the new bolt. Can anyone tell me how to get access to that upper nut and if it is welded to the frame ? Thanks !!!
Original Poster [OP]
Digidonny
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Leather

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Upper body mount location ??

Postby Digidonny [OP] » May 30th 2020, 3:51pm

BTW... it is the larger M14 bolt of the center mount
Original Poster [OP]
Digidonny
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Digidonny [OP] » June 1st 2020, 3:11pm

OK I thought I would respond to my own post ! There is no way of accessing the top frame nuts for the 6 body mounts. They are welded into the frame and fully inclosed in the frame.
1 locate area of the mount
remove carpet
you will see rows of weld marks that mark the body frame
drill holes
use a cutting tool to create a access point
use vice grips to secure the nut
Attachments
astro1.jpg
astro 2.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
Digidonny
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Astrofarian » June 2nd 2020, 1:53pm

That was the exact same scenario I had to deal with about 10-12 yrs ago when a buddy of mine called me at 10pm with a "spinning" bumper mount nut. He was trying to install a hitch to pull a tent trailer....and they were planning to leave @ 08:00 the next morning! Ah, good times, huh? Glad to see you got it sorted out!
-M!ke-
Move along....all is well.....return to your homes.....nothing to see here.
Astrofarian
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Astrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA): M!ke
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: Someday......

Postby Coaster » June 28th 2020, 5:56pm

wow your floor is in way better shape than mine

105645006_3030353713707983_1154725268185206116_n.jpg
I LIVE IN NORTH DAKOTA
Coaster
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Coaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 113
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 4.3 cargo 2wd

Postby SportsBoy » June 28th 2020, 9:58pm

Holy cow
SportsBoy
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: SportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 18
Alias (AKA): Blake
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD

Postby offctr » August 11th 2020, 8:59pm

Thanks this is just what I was trying to find out. I just acquired an 04 and each of the number 2 position body/subframe bolts are broken off flush with the bottom of the bushing sleeve. We went looking at these as a hail mary play when no matter what we did suspension wise the steering and ride had a mushy/wavy sensation to it. Did ball joints control arm bushings,tie rods, drag links,idlers ,shocks --all of it found some bad stuff fixed that and in the process rebuilt the whole front end. Still had this wavy gravy feel going down the road. Turns out 3 out of the 6 subframe bolts were missing (1) or broke off (2) and the body was moving on the frame (subframe was shifting under the body) as you went down the road and steered/braked/accelerated rounded a curve etc.
We caught this as I was following another guy down the road and he was like "there is something squirelly going on with your front end"(after all the repairs/upgrades.)
The one I replaced no problem but the other two are the central mounts on driver and passenger sides and have no way to get them out save cutting into the mount and pulling the remnants out and replacing the bolts and nuts, so I was just coming to see if there was access under the carpet or how you locate them.
have to wait a few days since I am still cleaning up all the deferred maintenance. And of course the coil gave out but we were going to tear into that this weekend do the full tuneup distributor checkout and loom all the wires (previous owner had tie-wrapped all the wires in a bundle ----wonder were all the multiple random misfires came from.
anyway that answers my question.
havent been here in a while the 99 soldiers on with close to 300,000 on the clock the 01 is now my daily work truck. My 03 got rear ended on the interstate by a texter and has gone to the great co-part yard in the sky. The 04 is my newest project now that the kids are in college and parenting pressures are lessened --my eldest still calls with "dad my honda wont start" "dad my honda wont go into gear" "dad my A/C dosent work""....So I'm back to wrenching on Astros with the goal of building MY weekend getaway camping vehicle.
:banana:
offctr
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: offctr has been a member for 6 full yearsoffctr has been a member for 6 full yearsoffctr has been a member for 6 full yearsoffctr has been a member for 6 full yearsoffctr has been a member for 6 full yearsoffctr has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 8
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: AWD