What have you done with your other vehicles today.

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

Re: What have you done with your other vehicles today.

Postby chevymaher [OP] » July 23rd 2020, 11:32pm

Nice picture there Mr Hardy.
Original Poster [OP]
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Postby Leeann_93 » July 24th 2020, 12:13am

Muffler and assorted clamps, hangers and gasket for my daughter’s ‘00 Nissan Xterra SE 3.3L V6 arrived today.

D0A8C15E-971E-4A1E-BDE8-4445C5DC799D.jpeg

23B93D68-2FA5-45AC-B437-FF0BAB32A2DB.jpeg

Most manufacturers would have that as a muffler and a separate tailpipe, like GM on the Astro and Jeep on the Liberty, but that’s one long piece for the Nissan.

Her current muffler has rusted out pretty badly, but it is original so that’s not bad.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby Big_kid » July 26th 2020, 3:28am

Got the transmission back in the Mazda/f*rd truck. I fought with the slave cylinder line for a while, watched a youTube video, modified the old clip from the old cylinder like the video showed, then realized the fitting had been redesigned. That's when I realized there was a clip missing. I tried the leftover radiator clips I had, no dice. I came inside to poke around online a bit trying to find a replacement, I was about to go to my FLAPS to buy another cylinder just to get that &^^$% clip. I showed my son the side by side pics, he says hold on, goes outside, comes back in 30 seconds later and says "This one?" YES, THAT ONE! THE ONE I'VE SPENT THE LAST 90 MINUTES TRYING TO RE_ENGINEER!!!

Back outside, install the clip/bleed it and all the rest, fire it up, come to find out the truck does NOT want to idle below 1500 RPM or so. We took it around the block anyway just to say it drove, the idle is an issue for another day. Tomorrow is garage clean up, it's WAY past due.
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby Rod's Trucks » July 26th 2020, 4:39am

Leeann_
My daughter had an earlier Pathfinder (92?) with either a 3.0 or a 3.3 V6. I don't recall which. It came from her uncle. It ran well and all, but the exhaust manifolds were problem areas, and it used timing chains. It got her back and forth over the mountains to college for four years.
At 205K, a timing chain failed and it destroyed a couple of pistons and messed up the heads pretty bad. The local mechanic had one with a terminally cancerous body, so he bought it for the body, and has been driving it for five years now, with his motor.
The daughter bought used Jeep Liberty to replace it, because she "wanted a Jeep". Surprisingly, that actually last fairly well. Except for a camshaft that wen flat, it was pretty much trouble free.
She is now driving a new GMC Denali with the 4 cylinder Turbo Diesel. She love that...for now!
Rod J
Rod's Trucks
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 19
Alias (AKA): Rod and/or WE7X
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: Forest Green LS AWD

Postby Leeann_93 » July 26th 2020, 9:11pm

Rod - yeah, my Libby has been pretty bulletproof, except for the trans that exploded. The replacement has been great. Her Xterra has a pretty solid engine and the whole vehicle is solid, except there on the muffler that’s rusting from inside.

However.

Friday night, I’m 2 beers in, relaxing at my computer, when she calls my husband. She never calls unless there’s a big problem. She’s hysterical, on the side of 695 in DC. The truck won’t drive straight at highway speeds. My husband starts yelling about the vehicle inspector when I cut him off at the knees - she’s been driving the hell out of it since she got it and she’s not nice on brakes (she learned from him, after all) and she’s been away all week. I guarantee this didn’t JUST happen with no warning. When she admits that it started making a noise on Monday, he lost his **** on her.

Anyway, we get her to put the emergency flashers on and drive slowly (it drove straight slow) to the next exit, which happens to be Pennsylvania Ave. We get her to take the Westbound exit, into DC, because that’s a much better neighborhood than just east of the Anacostia there. There’s a McDonald’s right off the exit, so she pulled in there. We called a tow truck, they picked her up in less than an hour and dropped her off in the driveway about 35 mins later and the tow only cost $166. Which we made her pay.

Moral of the story is, you tell someone immediately when you hear or feel something odd in your vehicle. Don’t put another 1,000 miles on it without saying anything because you want to be out having fun.

Problem is, she probably didn’t learn anything. Sigh. We’ll get to the brakes eventually. We have septic system issues here to deal with first. But had she said something immediately, we could have taken care of this in no time and for less than the cost of the tow.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Big_kid » July 26th 2020, 11:14pm

You hope they learn over the years, but somehow, it doesn't always take. We do what we can, it's all we can do.
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Leeann_93 » July 26th 2020, 11:20pm

Sucks, doesn’t it? No matter what you do, you can’t control what they retain, remember and do. Ugh.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Alias (AKA):

Postby icebrrg3rd » July 31st 2020, 4:48am

What's that saying, "You can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink"...

Dealing with those issues with our 19 y.o., some days I just want to push him out of the nest so he either flies or hits the ground, somethings better than sitting at home...but that is off topic.

Back on topic. I've replaced ALL the rotors and pads on the Town & Country, and then did the pads again front & back and new rotors on front, and still getting noise. Both times with ceramic pads. And the latest is sometimes it's quiet, other times it squeals, and other times it outright sounds like it's grinding metal on metal. But there are no grooves, nothing unusual, greased all the slide points (pads comes with new slider liners) and even did the anti-squeal goo on back of the pads. All pads slide smoothly with just slight resistance (to not rattle) and all calipers slide freely on greased pins. Just frustrating. Might buy new calipers just to replace them to see if that works.

Oh, the noise is just while applying the brakes, no noise when freewheeling. So annoying in a parking lot, having everyone look at you with that noise.

-Andrew
81 Yamaha Maxim 650XJ 650cc 68k mi
91 Chevy Astro 5L 5-speed, Ford 9" 261k mi
02 Yamaha Road Star 1600cc 27k mi
02 Chrysler Sebring Conv. 2.7L 5-speed 213k mi
10 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8L 180k mi

To her it's all dollars and no sense--Wimpazz
icebrrg3rd
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: icebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 49
Alias (AKA): Andrew
Van Model Year: 1991
Extra Info: V-8 5-sp RWD Shorty

Postby Leeann_93 » July 31st 2020, 4:56pm

My parents' 1985 Honda Accord had squealing while braking problems; it apparently was a thing on that model year. The 'fix' (I think it was a TSB) was to put the anti-squeal goo on the shims because you wanted the semi-metallic pads to stay on (the other fix was to replace the pads with regular material).
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Alias (AKA):

Postby zippy » August 1st 2020, 1:10am

Greeting,
So my 1988 Chevy C3500 passenger side exhaust manifold gasket blew out again. 3rd time since I bought the thing in 1999. First time I had a mechanic replace it, it was pretty expensive and it lasted about 3 years. He didn't replace the manifold. The second time it happened I was laid off from work at the time so I did it myself, in the rain, in February, in Seattle. That was 2009. This time I have a carport to work under and previous experience so I managed to get the old manifold out pretty quick. Only one broken bolt right at the head of the bolt so I was able to get the rest out of it out pretty easy. I'm wondering if the reason this keeps blowing out is because of the bolts. I didn't think of it last time but I am wondering if I should replace them with studs? Does anyone have an opinion? This time I am replacing the manifold, too.
Thanks in advance.
Al
"I get birds drunk and rate their singing ability."
zippy
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: zippy has been a member for 5 full yearszippy has been a member for 5 full yearszippy has been a member for 5 full yearszippy has been a member for 5 full yearszippy has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 8
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: LS 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby twstone83 » August 10th 2020, 2:52pm

Over the last few weeks, I have been working on my wife's 2010 Impala LTZ 3.9L V6. For the last couple of years, the trans would shudder when accelerating from a stop. You have to put it in first and then accelerate for it to go smoothly. Upon research, I found the that these vehicles have problems with the pressure control solenoids so I purchased a whole set of new solenoids and replaced them all. I also drained and replaced the fluid and filter.

The good news is it runs and shifts great! The bad news is I have gotten a CEL with P0843 which means the internal wiring harness could have an intermittent short in it. Its only come up twice in the last 3 weeks. Despite that it does drive and shift fine so I might just clear it if/when it pops up for now as I am not exactly jumping at the opportunity to open it all back up to change the wire harness unless it starts to cause more issues. Oddly, with the old solenoids causing it the shudder, it never once set a code :confused:

Aside from that, it had also developed an odd misfire. It would misfire when going going uphill while lightly pushing the accelerator. Giving it more gas would stop the misfires. Using the torque app, I saw it was misfiring on cylinders 2 and 5 which are both run on the same coil. Since the coil was original, I bought a replacement figuring that had to be the issue since the plugs were pretty new. Still same problem, tried swapping wires around, but the misfires stayed on 2 and 5. I decided to then remove the #2 plug since it was easiest to get to and found a crack in the ceramic post. So I went and got 2 new plugs for both #2 and #5 even though #5 looked ok.

After replacing the plugs, the misfire on #5 went away but #2 was still acting up. So I then replaced the fuel injector on cyl 2 and so far no more misfires. :thumbup:
twstone83
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: twstone83 has been a member for 6 full yearstwstone83 has been a member for 6 full yearstwstone83 has been a member for 6 full yearstwstone83 has been a member for 6 full yearstwstone83 has been a member for 6 full yearstwstone83 has been a member for 6 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Leeann_93 » August 10th 2020, 10:47pm

I don't know about the Impala, but you can pinch wiring on an Astro while replacing solenoids and reinstalling the pan.

I did it on my Lumina - just barely got it pinched, but I figured it out before I bolted up the pan (phew) and the insulation had not yet been cut through. I put a piece of the good heat shrink with glue inside over that area. I had to slit it end-to-end, but I put the cut area opposite the nick in the insulation, and it shrunk and stuck like it was supposed to. Then got the pan reinstalled without pinching any wires and no problems with that ever again.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Alias (AKA):

Postby twstone83 » August 12th 2020, 2:27pm

Im not sure where the solenoids on a Lumina are located but on the impala with the 4T65e, you have to remove the side cover through the drivers side wheel well which involves removing the wheel, breaks, CV axel, etc. To fully move the cover out of the way you have to drop the subframe, but you can shift it around just enough to get at the solenoids if you have nimble fingers. Here is the best picture I could find of what the internal harness looks like.

As you can see, the only thing that would be easily pinchable is the bottom wire which runs the trans temp sensor. There is a good possibility it could be the external plug harness as when I unplugged it to work on the trans, the wire loom completely disintegrated and it wouldn't surprise me if the wire insulation itself has a crack somewhere. I will do more probing if necessary, but for now the CEL light has been off since I last reset it.
twstone83
Years of Membership: twstone83 has been a member for 6 full yearstwstone83 has been a member for 6 full yearstwstone83 has been a member for 6 full yearstwstone83 has been a member for 6 full yearstwstone83 has been a member for 6 full yearstwstone83 has been a member for 6 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroOafAdventurerAstroOafAdventurer is online! » August 12th 2020, 11:59pm

Woot, new lift gate struts! And oil change
97 Astro Conversion Van 62k miles
AstroOafAdventurerAstroOafAdventurer is online!
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Topics: 22
Alias (AKA): Thorsteenster
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: RWD Conversion Van

Postby Leeann_93 » August 13th 2020, 3:17am

Yeah, that’s a lot worse than the Lumina. Yikes.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Alias (AKA):

Postby sixsixsixsix is online! » August 15th 2020, 1:38am

zippy wrote:Greeting,
So my 1988 Chevy C3500 passenger side exhaust manifold gasket blew out again. 3rd time since I bought the thing in 1999. First time I had a mechanic replace it, it was pretty expensive and it lasted about 3 years. He didn't replace the manifold. The second time it happened I was laid off from work at the time so I did it myself, in the rain, in February, in Seattle. That was 2009. This time I have a carport to work under and previous experience so I managed to get the old manifold out pretty quick. Only one broken bolt right at the head of the bolt so I was able to get the rest out of it out pretty easy. I'm wondering if the reason this keeps blowing out is because of the bolts. I didn't think of it last time but I am wondering if I should replace them with studs? Does anyone have an opinion? This time I am replacing the manifold, too.
Thanks in advance.
Al

Well, you probably have been to some of the other sites more apropo for your truck / engine size.
What is it anyway? 350/5.7 ? Our Beloved 4.3's big nasty Uncle - woohoo...

Anyway,
Flat Surfaces, Good grade bolts, high end greases and general machine / machining did not change for anyone.
Mating parts, flatness, fit up, patience, Frosty Beverages have NOT Changed.

Don't overtighten - gaskets love you big time...

Now 10 years down - 2020

..."10 years had gone behind .... sounds familiar...
We have "Time" - my biggest asset
Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain
And you are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.

Thank You, David

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “It is only a matter of time before armed citizens, waiting or not for the police, take things into their own hands, fire on the rioters for personal and property prot. & end up hunted like dogs.”

sixsixsixsix is online!
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 37
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby M_a_t_t » August 17th 2020, 7:32am

Got the turbine housing separated on the turbo for the z31. Only took 6 weeks of soaking, heat, and a little persuasion. Now to get the dang thing rebuilt!

1973 Fiat 124 Special
1975 Honda Civic CVCC 4spd
1981 Kawasaki KZ750E
1981 Kawasaki KZ650 CSR
1983 Kawasaki KZ1100-A3
1986 Nissan 300zx Turbo 5 spd
1995 Chevy Astro RWD
1995 Mercury Tracer
2004 Chevy Astro AWD
2017 Kawasaki VersysX 300
M_a_t_t
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: M_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 27
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: cl rwd

Postby Leeann_93 » August 30th 2020, 10:31pm

Replaced the serpentine belt and tensioner assembly on my Jeep Liberty. As I was doing it, I realized I hadn’t done it in 7 years :shock:

Oops...

7B9E3D39-8294-4C13-90D2-EDD583B8C199.jpeg

EF828398-74D2-49F0-BF66-1E831264B070.jpeg

E40E4C0E-0217-4C43-BF50-1F1B7B29A634.jpeg
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Alias (AKA):

Postby Big_kid » August 30th 2020, 10:47pm

You still had what, 7, maybe 9 ribs left? It's only losing one. PLENTY of life left in that belt!
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Alias (AKA):

Postby Leeann_93 » August 30th 2020, 10:55pm

Big_kid wrote:You still had what, 7, maybe 9 ribs left? It's only losing one. PLENTY of life left in that belt!

I dunno, that second one is about to separate...
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Alias (AKA):

PreviousNext