Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

B-window to gull wing

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Wokka 
#1 ·
other than finding a post about other people doing it, I can't seem to find details on this being done. I am messing about with different configurations on how I want the van to work, and knowing if I can gull wing the B windows will give me more options

#2 ·
Hi Wokka, HOPE I'm not the "M!ke" you don't like, lol? Anyways...I'm not sure I understand your question....as in, don't the "B Windows" ALREADY "Gull Wing"? I was under the impression that gull wing meant hinged at the top and swinging upward from the bottom. Isn't that what they do right from the factory? Do you want them to swing upward FURTHER or am I missing something in my sleep-deprived state here?
-M!ke-

#3 ·
Unless you are the Mike that takes advantage of Woof's iron deficiency tablets by sticking fridge magnets to the aquarium glass so the poor little dude gets stuck there with his goggly eyes looking sad, we are good.

Yes, they do gullwing, but they gullwing a fraction. I want these puppies to open a full 90 degrees so I can use the side of the van to house my pump, switching, hoses etc for the outdoor shower and also make it a kitchen cabinet, with everything I need for a quick coffee stop on the road.
The back will be for the more heavy duty stuff like dual fridges, recovery gear, All my tools for the mobile workshop, screen and laptop for the display for RTI days etc.

#5 ·
MechBob said:
It is generally a bad idea to use unframed glass in that situation. On a vehicle, they are usually called "safari" windows,not gull windows.Will leave you some other options.
https://www.dometic.com/en-gb/uk/produc ... ed-windows
https://www.drifta.com.au/window-boxes- ... g-windows/
It may be a south of the equator thing, but those windows especially on the 70 series cruisers are gull wings. Never less, I digress. I want flappy open windows behind the B pillar. Who here has done it?

#11 ·
But that's not a window :)

Acrylic would be nice, haven't looked at the price of that kit yet.

Have you looked at the Acrylic RV windows that are available from Dometic and such yet? They offer a really wide range of windows with many different options(tints/screens/shades/double layer), might have something that would work for you.

#13 ·
I've decided to just put on my big boy pants and do it in Aluminium now that I am going to block it off anyway, currently sourcing external hinges and trying to work out which locks to use. I will be building my kitchenette to take up half of the space the middle captains seat on the drivers side from floor to ceiling, but facing outside, accessed through the old window

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.