dutch door electrical question

Re: dutch door electrical question

Postby markmitch [OP] » May 24th 2020, 8:58pm

Ok more questions: anyone know the location of the rear defogger time relay? Is it the little black plastic box cause my diagram says the wires should be pink/black orange /black, black, lt blue, and purple /white but mine are gray, orange/black, black, red, green,and dark blue at the box. kind of confusing. If anyone has a picture of this device that would be great. Thanks, Mark
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 596
Alias (AKA): AstroMark or 1st gen
Van Model Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RS V8

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Postby MechBob » May 24th 2020, 10:19pm

Well,mark,96 and up the timer is part of the control head.In 94 it is separate, and behind dash,left of the heater control. I got no picture,sorry, but the part number of the connector is 12004099, perhaps you can find a picture of it.
MechBob
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: MechBob has been a member for 2 full yearsMechBob has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): Bob
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: 4x4

Postby MechBob » May 24th 2020, 10:25pm

MechBob
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: MechBob has been a member for 2 full yearsMechBob has been a member for 2 full years

Postby markmitch [OP] » May 24th 2020, 10:32pm

So somehow when I removed all the parts from the 94 I missed that cause as you said its up under the dash. Guess I guess I will have to buy one as well as the connector. Not to bad since I got everything else free. Thanks Bob
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years

Postby MechBob » May 24th 2020, 10:55pm

MechBob
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)

Postby MechBob » May 24th 2020, 11:00pm

MechBob
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)

Postby markmitch [OP] » May 25th 2020, 1:59am

wow thanks man
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby sixsix » May 25th 2020, 2:16am

Mark, I meant to recheck those drawings - see if I can help with a better, larger photo w/ more detail.
Pg. 156 a few posts back and I will look in the "Component location" drawings too.

For some reason, I thought you got some drawings, etc from someone else on the forum.

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “It is only a matter of time before armed citizens, waiting or not for the police, take things into their own hands, fire on the rioters for personal and property prot. & end up hunted like dogs.”

sixsix
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 37
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby markmitch [OP] » May 25th 2020, 3:36am

I did but did not get component location. It appears when I grabbed all the stuff from the 94 I somehow missed the relay and the plug to it so i ordered a relay but I will still have to find the plug or do it differently. Either way its on hold again till the relay comes in. But I am still working on some wiring anyway. I also ran out of weld wire for my mig too but I can get that Friday when I go to the city. !0 bucks a roll at Home Depot but like 22 shipped so I will wait cause i am going to the city on Friday anyway. I also ordered some adapt a fuse thingys from online that should be in by Friday. These are to turn on a relay for the rear defroster via the ignition and possible for the rear wiper too.
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby sixsix » May 26th 2020, 9:38pm

markmitch wrote:Ok more questions: anyone know the location of the rear defogger time relay? Is it the little black plastic box cause my diagram says the wires should be pink/black orange /black, black, lt blue, and purple /white but mine are gray, orange/black, black, red, green,and dark blue at the box. kind of confusing. If anyone has a picture of this device that would be great. Thanks, Mark

I Think these are what you were looking for - at least the one.

Page 184, fig 23, conn C235
ITEM 1 = Rear Window Defogger Timer Relay

Up in the Dash, by the heater stuff - I wonder if Gen I & II kept it in the same location.
Here Bob answers that, I guess:
MechBob wrote:Well,mark,96 and up the timer is part of the control head.In 94 it is separate, and behind dash,left of the heater control. I got no picture,sorry, but the part number of the connector is 12004099, perhaps you can find a picture of it.

Page 156, Timer Relay, C235, pt # 12004099
Wire colors look right too - I hope.

There's that conn. Bob referred to a few posts back.
Let me know if there's more you need - I will try to hold still on the rest - cross my heart !

Oh, and so you know it's really me - here's a current pic:
Check that date/time stamp ...

See - We really do still have a Van and work on it ... too.

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “It is only a matter of time before armed citizens, waiting or not for the police, take things into their own hands, fire on the rioters for personal and property prot. & end up hunted like dogs.”

sixsix
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years

Postby markmitch [OP] » May 26th 2020, 10:52pm

LOL van looks nice- Thank you for the info, i ordered the relay from rockauto but will have to make the plug with individual female connectors and shrink tube. I had to do this before on another vehicle cause just like this van the connectors are no longer available.
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby markmitch [OP] » June 8th 2020, 8:40pm

Kinda lost here on this one. in the drawings it says a light blue wire goes from the switch to the park/neutral switch yet when I look at the drawing for the park/neutral switch its not shown. Now the strange thing about this is there are only two places to put wire on that p/n switch and neither of them according to the book are Light blue matter of fact one is light blue with black lines and the second is dark blue. So I do not know where to put the light blue wire and I have no idea what it is actually for. Unless its a safety thing to prevent the hatch from opening while in drive or reverse, if so what do I do with it and still make it work?
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby markmitch [OP] » June 8th 2020, 10:56pm

OK so after some reading I think the neutral safety switch in this case is acting as a safety relay so the hatch can not open accidently while in drive. So I am going to wire another tiny switch in place of running it into the N/S switch. Only what I am going to do is go from the gray wire for the lights inside the switches into another switch (micro) to the blue wire in the release switch so I can shut it off while driving at least till I can figure out the neutral switch thing. (color code)
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby sixsix » June 10th 2020, 1:58pm

markmitch wrote:OK so after some reading I think the neutral safety switch in this case is acting as a safety relay so the hatch can not open accidently while in drive. So I am going to wire another tiny switch in place of running it into the N/S switch. Only what I am going to do is go from the gray wire for the lights inside the switches into another switch (micro) to the blue wire in the release switch so I can shut it off while driving at least till I can figure out the neutral switch thing. (color code)

Good Going - never hurts to 'Add yet more Parts', Mark.
Pesky electrical drawings !!

sixsix

Postby markmitch [OP] » June 10th 2020, 5:12pm

yeah since i already have added an extra fuse box with 10 fuses, 6 USB charge ports. a DVD player/screen combo. a 10 disc CD changer. So adding a few more items won't hurt anything as long as they are done correctly.
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby augidog » June 11th 2020, 5:55pm

markmitch wrote:OK so after some reading I think the neutral safety switch in this case is acting as a safety relay so the hatch can not open accidently while in drive. So I am going to wire another tiny switch in place of running it into the N/S switch. Only what I am going to do is go from the gray wire for the lights inside the switches into another switch (micro) to the blue wire in the release switch so I can shut it off while driving at least till I can figure out the neutral switch thing. (color code)
on my 95, when running, the dash hatch release will work in P and N but will not work in R or D.
Scanned original Chevrolet-GMC Dealer "Product Information Guides."
Detailed Options w/RPO's. Learn all about your Astro/Safari's first build.
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=142268
augidog
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA): Augie
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: AWD High-Top

Postby markmitch [OP] » August 1st 2020, 10:43pm

Here is where I put the switches for the dutch doors. There was originally a cup holder that was useless so I removed it cut a piece of plywood used a chisel to cut the holes for the switches then covered it with carpet then added the switches. I will have to re do the wiring so I can add quick disconnects to be able to plug it in and unplug it as needed. to remove the section of the dash to get to the dog house.
Attachments
IMG_20200801_085658071.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby tonydobbs » August 1st 2020, 11:33pm

Looking good, Mark!
tonydobbs
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: tonydobbs has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA): Tony
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: RWD

Postby markmitch [OP] » August 2nd 2020, 12:03am

Picture makes it look like they are crooked but they are not. The dog house is not on so the panel is just sitting there not screws or anything lol.
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby sixsix » August 2nd 2020, 12:20am

markmitch wrote:Picture makes it look like they are crooked but they are not. The dog house is not on so the panel is just sitting there not screws or anything lol.

Mark, I think they will do just fine for you - what are the Labels / Usage ?
Rel., Wiper and Def. ? And let's not forget pitch spacing and t-squares... right ?

sixsix

PreviousNext