Ford 8.8 Eaton eLocker build and install

Ford 8.8 Eaton eLocker build and install

Postby dit [OP] » August 2nd 2020, 5:50pm

Picked up an 8.8 from an 89 F150 4x4- $75
IMG_1398.jpg

New brakes, drums and wheel cylinders were a bonus and made up a bit for the fact the axles were trash.
IMG_1399.jpg

first thing was to gut it and strip it. Trick to easily remove wheel bearings and seals (with center removed): 6' long pipe or bar and a hammer from opposite side; several blows and they're out.
IMG_1400.jpg

IMG_1401.jpg

I'm thinking it a good idea to hold onto these parts for now.
IMG_1402.jpg
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c, 4.10s torsen, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion, rock sliders, skid plate, ARB fridge,100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710
Original Poster [OP]
dit
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: dit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 8
Alias (AKA): photovan
Van Model Year: 1998
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: awd 4 inch lift

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Ford 8.8
    by dit » July 4th 2020, 1:00am in Rear-End
    1 Replies
    Last post by SportsBoy View the latest post
    July 6th 2020, 1:38pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    November 29th 2020, 8:13pm

Re: Ford 8.8 Eaton eLocker build and install

Postby dit [OP] » August 3rd 2020, 6:21pm

While waiting for parts, it's a good time to brush up on ring and pinion install and make up a pinion set-up bearing. I did a complete write up on this in 2008 on the old site; http://astrosafarivans.org/bb2/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=8715&p=86141&hilit=photo_van#p86141 so I'm not likely to get into that here. There is also an infinite amount of info on the web, some of which is correct.

Ring and pinion set up is no big deal as much as legend suggests: it's just numbers and a pattern that can be accomplished with $25 worth of special tools from Harbor Freight.

A set-up bearing and trimmed pinion nut will save you a lot of time and anguish. Use the old pinion bearing. Measure the thickness of the bearing (including the outer race). If that measurement is different than the new bearing you will need to adjust the pinion shim accordingly; this one measured the same as new. Go light with the Dremel as you still want the bearing to fit snug. Just remove what is needed on the inside of the inner race so it slips easily over the pinion.

IMG_1405.jpg
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c, 4.10s torsen, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion, rock sliders, skid plate, ARB fridge,100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710
Original Poster [OP]
dit
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: dit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full years

Postby sixsix » August 5th 2020, 8:26pm

dit wrote: ...Go light with the Dremel as you still want the bearing to fit snug. Just remove what is needed on the inside of the inner race so it slips easily over the pinion.

I kept this up for a few days till I could get back here.

Am I reading this correctly... that IS a precision ground ID, is it not ? Hand grind, should we not be horrified ?
Did I miss a year that day...?

If OK - I'll go back to the "Mainstream Media Pandemic Fear Shelter". It's a room w/ no tv and cable.

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “May be hard to believe... President Trump should rest easy and concede what was in fact a foregone conclusion: Another OLD MAN won with only about 50% of the Change Believers/Fools showing up."

sixsix
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby Rod's Trucks » August 5th 2020, 9:47pm

"...it's a good time to brush up on ring and pinion install and make up a pinion set-up bearing."
With the information taken slightly out of context, it was obviously misleading Sixsix.
The post was in reference to making tooling to set the pinion depth, using a bearing with a slightly relieved ID ( only takes a few minutes for the minimal amount of modification) to allow easy bearing insertion and removal, for setting the pinion shim pack as needed.
Then a new bearing and nut are to be installed...Easy Peasy...and works great.

Rod J
Rod's Trucks
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 25
Alias (AKA): Rod and/or WE7X
Extra Info: Forest Green LS AWD

Postby dit [OP] » August 6th 2020, 5:16pm

Sorry guys, I guess throwing that in at that point was misleading. Yes, old bearing for setup purposes.

While I have your attention, anyone out there have an Astro rearend they might be able to measure the pinion angle on? Pinion in relation to the spring perches. I finally got some parts. Want to weld up the perches but I'm having a hard time pulling angles with the diff still in the van. Thanks in advance!

Master rebuild kit, 4.10 gears, wheel bearings and perches. Axles on the way. Unfortunately the eLocker is still a couple weeks out.
IMG_E1410.jpg
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710
Original Poster [OP]
dit
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)

Postby dit [OP] » August 7th 2020, 4:11am

I got the angle ~10°

It you just want to put an 8.8 in your van; no rebuild, no new gears, no new diff, these are the parts you will need: 1"- 5x5.5 to 5x5 wheel spacer (unless you have 6 lugs), spring perches, travel stop mounts (fabricated from old perches), re-worked shock mounts and a conversion u-joint. The only machining that will be required is drilling a 5x5 pattern in the passenger side axle and drum and turning the axle center hub down to 77.8mm to accommodate the center bore on the stock rims. If you want disk brakes it looked to me that the assembly from an Explorer (unknown year) will bolt right up.

IMG_E1412.jpg
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710
Original Poster [OP]
dit
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)

Postby dit [OP] » August 7th 2020, 11:02pm

weld three mounts each side and you have an Astro/Safari 8.8 rear axle housing
IMG_1415.jpg

IMG_1417.jpg
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710
Original Poster [OP]
dit
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)

Postby dit [OP] » August 21st 2020, 3:24pm

New axles finally arrived from Summit
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710
Original Poster [OP]
dit
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)

Postby markmitch » August 21st 2020, 4:49pm

Nice write up! I am not ever going to do this mod but I still like to learn new things. My van is modified but not to the extent I will need a beefer rear axle. However if you ever have the chance to rebuilt a GM 7.5 rear axle and have some tricks to do it I would love to know them. Someday I wish to rebuild my factory rear axle with a new GM G80 set up.Mark
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 615
Alias (AKA): AstroMark or 1st gen
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8

Postby dit [OP] » August 22nd 2020, 5:54pm

I really didn't *want* a beefier rearend, this entire project is so I can put in a selectable locking diff. With the COVID the project is really getting backed up. Eaton keeps putting off their 8.8 production a month at a time. I may have to go with an OX locker instead.

The 7.5 is fine for my application but no options for a selectable locker. As for the G80, I'm not sure I'd take the time and money. They often fail; mine blew up first time I took it off road....

I will likely have a complete 7.5 truTrac with 4.10s available when the time comes.
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710
Original Poster [OP]
dit
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)

Postby markmitch » August 22nd 2020, 10:01pm

Oh ok Understood, mine is an RS and came with the 3:42 with G80 but after so many miles the G80 quit working all together. I have another g80 with 3:42 that came out of an 88 Safari but I have never done a rear end and if I pay someone to do it and the G80 is no good then I gain nothing.
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 615
Alias (AKA): AstroMark or 1st gen
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8

Postby AstroOafAdventurer » August 22nd 2020, 11:06pm

dit wrote:I really didn't *want* a beefier rearend, this entire project is so I can put in a selectable locking diff. With the COVID the project is really getting backed up. Eaton keeps putting off their 8.8 production a month at a time. I may have to go with an OX locker instead.

The 7.5 is fine for my application but no options for a selectable locker. As for the G80, I'm not sure I'd take the time and money. They often fail; mine blew up first time I took it off road....

I will likely have a complete 7.5 truTrac with 4.10s available when the time comes.

Thanks, I'd been curious as to the reasoning behind modding/adding the 8.8.
97 Astro Conversion Van 62k 64k miles
AstroOafAdventurer
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 31
Alias (AKA): Thorsteenster
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: RWD Conversion Van

Postby M_a_t_t » August 23rd 2020, 12:07am

Adding a bigger rear end is on my list of eventual mods. I suppose I like to torture my vehicles. Last time I towed something heavy (yes I know... exceeded capacity) I ruined my wheel bearings. Plus I wouldn't mind a disc upgrade.
1973 Fiat 124 Special
1975 Honda Civic CVCC 4spd
1981 Kawasaki KZ750E
1981 Kawasaki KZ650 CSR
1983 Kawasaki KZ1100-A3
1986 Nissan 300zx Turbo 5 spd
1995 Chevy Astro RWD
1995 Mercury Tracer
2004 Chevy Astro AWD
2017 Kawasaki VersysX 300
M_a_t_t
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: M_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 27
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: cl rwd

Postby dit [OP] » August 27th 2020, 3:33am

The explorer disk setup looks like it will bolt up. I was tempted but not sure about the master cylinder proportioning. Also the clearance between the calipers and leaf springs on the drivers side would be tight. I will gain the f150 11” drums over the Astro 9.5”.
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710
Original Poster [OP]
dit
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)

Postby TowVan » August 27th 2020, 5:40am

From what I've read on the "net," (so it must be true!) the 8.8 is an almost direct copy of a chebby design - just changed enough to not be sued. Haven't heard if that's a 10 bolt, or 12 bolt, but I always assumed a 10 bolt. I know its not as strong as a 9'', but not as much parasitic loss as a 9" either. 'Course I know there are some versions of a 10 bolt that are stronger than others...
But it doesn't surprise me to hear that the 8.8 has better aftermarket versatility!
98 AWD Astro 2018 -
99 RWD LS Astro 2016 -
89 Short RWD Astro 1998 - 1999
92 RWD Astro 95 - 98 99 - 2001
92 Short RWD Safari 97 - 98
92 RWD Safari (Dad's) 92 - 97
86 RWD Astro (Dad's) 86 - 92
TowVan
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: TowVan has been a member for 3 full yearsTowVan has been a member for 3 full yearsTowVan has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA): Dan
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: RWD Beefed to tow

Postby dit [OP] » August 28th 2020, 9:23pm

TowVan wrote:From what I've read on the "net," (so it must be true!) the 8.8 is an almost direct copy of a chebby design - just changed enough to not be sued. Haven't heard if that's a 10 bolt, or 12 bolt, but I always assumed a 10 bolt. I know its not as strong as a 9'', but not as much parasitic loss as a 9" either. 'Course I know there are some versions of a 10 bolt that are stronger than others...
But it doesn't surprise me to hear that the 8.8 has better aftermarket versatility!

Yes I've read that also and having had both the 7.5 and the 8.8 apart, there are similarities; i.e. the pinion and carrier setup will be identical and the axles and bearings are very similar but beefier. The latter I appreciate as I just ate up an axle bearing surface for reasons unknown. I also like that the 8.8 is fairly small so as to only loose ~1/2" of ground clearance.
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710
Original Poster [OP]
dit
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)

Postby dit [OP] » August 28th 2020, 9:40pm

Got some shop work done on the new axles. We made them hub centric to the Astro wheels but still allowing for the considerably larger center on the Ford brake drum to be indexed. Also drilled the flanges to 5 on 5 pattern.

Turning an aluminum center for the drivers side wheel spacer/adapter.
IMG_1434.jpg

Turning the passenger side axle hub
IMG_1435.jpg

Finished Driver side adapter/spacer
IMG_1436.jpg

Turned PVC bushing to allow for rotary indexing of axle on drill press
IMG_1438.jpg

Jigged up and ready to drill. ***note that only the psngr side will need to be drilled as the drivers is taken care of by the adapter
IMG_1439.jpg
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710
Original Poster [OP]
dit
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)

Postby dit [OP] » August 28th 2020, 9:52pm

If you don't have access to machining you can buy custom axles to these specs for ~$400.

index drilling pilot holes using the Astro drum as a pattern.
IMG_1441.jpg

The holes for the Ford lug studs are of a somewhat odd size of 19/32. Lacking that drill size and living 25 miles out of town which likely didn't have one anyway, we followed with a 1/2 in twist drill then used a cutting tool mounted on a half inch boring tool in the drill press to open up the holes to 19/32.
IMG_1442.jpg

Finished 8.8 Astro axles: drivers left, psngr right.
IMG_1444.jpg
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710
Original Poster [OP]
dit
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)

Postby CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online! » August 28th 2020, 10:17pm

GEEZUS! NICE WORK!
Pullin The Pass
CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online!
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: CopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 24
Alias (AKA): B
Extra Info: LS Swap

Postby WinnieVan » August 28th 2020, 10:41pm

Love a good machine shop.. well done.
WinnieVan
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: WinnieVan has been a member for 3 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 3 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 62
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: AWD

Next