How to fix No Air from Vent / Vacuum / Intermittent AC Issue

Re: How to fix No Air from Vent / Vacuum / Intermittent AC I

Postby AstroOafAdventurer » August 25th 2020, 8:58pm

Scanning through, I didn't see how anyone removed the old hard line, but I tried and tried but my hands were too big to be able to do anything with the boot engine side once I got my fingers on it. I removed the dog house, a quick slice with the razor knife and it popped right off.
Now I'm struggling getting the dog house top bolts in...
97 Astro Conversion Van 62k miles
AstroOafAdventurer
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Topics: 28
Alias (AKA): Thorsteenster
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RWD Conversion Van

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • No Cold Air from Front Vents / No Hot Air from Rear Heater
    by Gu3nth » July 1st 2020, 3:36am in Climate Control
    0 Replies
    Last post by Gu3nth View the latest post
    July 1st 2020, 3:36am
  • HVAC vacuum issue?
    by Devo » October 25th 2020, 10:54pm in Climate Control
    4 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    October 27th 2020, 2:03pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    October 29th 2020, 3:31am

Postby sixsixsixsix is online! » August 27th 2020, 4:12pm

1st time I heard of anyone getting to it via the inside on a Gen II Van.
That is if you are referring to the one that runs from the Ball Resv. area T Valve to the underside of the throttle body.
Item 12 in the 1st drawing.

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “Everything needs to change except the asshole culture and stupid way of life of the avg. antifa, BLM follower - slobs, cowards, killers w/o any thought that they, IN FACT, are now the Racists.”

sixsixsixsix is online!
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 37
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby MechBob » August 27th 2020, 4:29pm

Six,it is quite difficult to do without removing dog house.It gets stuck on the plastic nipple,which is on the pvc valve holder, so not like you can just pry it off with something.I have done it,and suffered damage to my hands.As the tube usually breaks where you can get to it,I just patch it with small vacuum hose,until next time I have to remove dog house.Then I see some people encase the new one in hose,lol, so being a mechanic,my thoughts are "good keep the heat in and make it go bad sooner".
MechBob
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: MechBob has been a member for 2 full yearsMechBob has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): Bob
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: 4x4

Postby AstroOafAdventurer » August 27th 2020, 4:30pm

That's the one!
I could get my mitts on it but no room to move it around to slip it off, it seemed stuck on. I was even yanking on the good piece of hose left on it. No luck.
With the dog house off I was able to easily access the boot connector with my razor knife and off she went.
I rerouted the new one over the intake and tried to keep it further away from heat than factory.
97 Astro Conversion Van 62k miles
AstroOafAdventurer
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Topics: 28
Alias (AKA): Thorsteenster
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: RWD Conversion Van

Postby sixsixsixsix is online! » August 28th 2020, 1:12am

sixsix wrote:1st time I heard of anyone getting to it via the inside on a Gen II Van.
That is if you are referring to the one that runs from the Ball Resv. area T Valve to the underside of the throttle body.
Item 12 in the 1st drawing.

no, and no...

So, the 1st post in this thread is wrong or what? It is a sticky thread - I'll go look for the telling pic.
I just wish people would post more pics - hell, I thought EVERYBODY had a gd phone nowadays.

Any pics guys...?

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “Everything needs to change except the asshole culture and stupid way of life of the avg. antifa, BLM follower - slobs, cowards, killers w/o any thought that they, IN FACT, are now the Racists.”

sixsixsixsix is online!
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years

Postby MechBob » August 28th 2020, 2:25am

Six,watch this link and all will be explained.And I do not know what a sticky link is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-A_6VC2ThU
MechBob
Years of Membership: MechBob has been a member for 2 full yearsMechBob has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): Bob
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: 4x4

Postby sixsixsixsix is online! » August 28th 2020, 2:30am

MechBob wrote:Six,watch this link and all will be explained.And I do not know what a sticky link is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-A_6VC2ThU

On this forum, the 'Stickies' in Climate Control are at the top of the List and have a different thread type icon.

sixsixsixsix is online!

Postby sixsixsixsix is online! » August 28th 2020, 5:58pm

I went back and read the Entire Thread. Golly !! yeah, no life here...
I have to be honest, back in the day, I read a few of the first posts of this thread - then nodded out.
And ... many other threads / posts / OPs that did not find this Thread.

MechBob, Oaf and a lot of other members as well as quite a few "regular" online folks have HUGE HANDS.
They cannot reach the fitting/hose properly to get a decent grip on it. It sits directly behind the AC Compr.
And it is between that Compr. and the Intake Throttle body that a big hand cannot reach.

Not one ( 'cept this one ) photo of where you're heading / what the end looks like ( w/ eng. cover off ):

Vacuum Intake GEN II TBI thru 05-mrkd.jpg
Vacuum Intake GEN II TBI thru 05-mrkd.jpg (166.26 KiB) Viewed 204 times
Vacuum - Intake - GEN II TBI XX? thru 2005
Blue - AC Compressor
Green - Fr L Intake studs/nuts
Yellow - PCV Hose
Red - The Vacuum Hose you seek - some will have a formed nipple ( OEM style )

And pretty sure the big black 1" or so tube running from bot left to around the Compr. - RR AC Refrig. line. Correct me if wrong.

Vacuum Intake GEN II TBI thru 05 FR-mrkd.jpg
Vacuum - Intake - GEN II TBI XX? thru 2005 FR
And the view from the front - Airbox/Hose, etc removed.
Red - Intake / TBI
Green - AC Compressor
Pale Caucasian - Human arm pointing in "General Direction of The Hose/Nipple you Seek."

Now - you may be the type that has already been into the back side of the motor... cool.
Yank that Cover, reach on in...
Most who come would would not dream of it - they might sell first...haha.
I am surprised at the number of new members that actually wandered into it... haha

The Videos suck at showing just exactly where you have to get to. Most just yank the Engine Cover.
The alternative is pull out the Air Cleaner Box / Intake Hose & whatever else is in the way.
And this site and particular thread is really scanty on the direct pic from front as well.

So we don't know if a set of long handle cannon plug pliers might fit. If I could see it, I would try to find a long tool in my boxes.

So, If I can find a Willing Van w/ TBI - mid to late model ...
- I will try to get a pic looking directly at the Vacuum Hose / Nipple thru "The Inhuman Tunnel" - LOL

Film @11

Couple Edits:
- Be glad you do not have CPI or MPFI - that "Big Fat Runner-Style" Upper Intake Manifold ( UIM ) ...
... 3-4 Vacuum barb / nipple / locations. "The Fix" discussed here does NOT apply to vin W or X
- Recently saw yet another style UIM - relative to the Vac. barbs - augidog's does not have the left RR barb
... his Vin # probably verifies this

- Should the Title of the Thread reflect that this fix applies to MOST all Vans ie: '95-'05 or "exceptions"
... probably not - it applies to quite the majority - that counts

sixsixsixsix is online!

Previous