Fun with Kidney Stones (don't view if squeamish)

Fun with Kidney Stones (don't view if squeamish)

Postby augidog [OP] » September 16th 2020, 2:46pm

last Saturday morning, I started to pass a kidney stone. I'd had stones before, so I expected to suffer (quite badly) for 6-8 hours as it traversed my ureter. after about 4 hours, it became lodged, and over the next 6 hours my kidney backed up and I became infected and feverish.

I went to the emergency room, luckily less than a mile away. but, this also where my luck halfway ran out. after a CT scan, I was told a 2.5 mm stone had in fact lodged a third of the way through the ureter. my white blood cell count was as high as "a burst appendix" as the doctor put it, and my blood-pressure was danger-low. my fever wasn't super high, but I was experiencing delirium. pretty fun stuff.

after 6 hours of antibiotics and fluids, my vitals stabilized, and I was sent home to ride it out. about half a day later, the stone passed through the ureter and into my bladder, and I slowly began to bounce back over the next two days.

I ejected the stone from my bladder this morning. this process is not much more than an uncomfortable surprise, over in an instant. because I knew what was happening, I kept my pad on, and it was easy to retrieve and examine the stone. I wear pads because I lost my prostate to cancer 8 years ago. the two issues are not medically related.

and, yes, I washed my hands afterwards. more than once.
IMG_20200916_052433.jpg
the medical severity, and treatment, of a stone is determined by size. my attending doctor reported this as 2.5 mm diameter. clearly, he has no grasp of mechanical physics, as the 5.47 LENGTH is the reason it refused to cleanly pass through the ureter. 5 mm is the critical medical threshold. this misreading made my situation and suffering much worse than it had to be.

zoom in on that tiny craggy structure...now, imagine back to when something like this slowly killed someone with much agony, and it was believed to be an angry God or a witch's curse. these days, it can still kill you, if your doctor is uninformed in diagnosis and treatment.

moral to the story. no matter what else you drink through the day, always be sure to have a good long drink of plain water. it's no guarantee against stones, but it's a good practice that definitely helps.

as far as my prostate cancer...men, don't be afraid to have a regular check of your prostate after about age 40, and ask for a "PSA" blood test once a year if it isn't offered.

trust me, I can tell you from experience, there are far worse things can happen to you than a doctor's finger.

(I'm being candid with you for your good health. questions & discussion is encouraged. original jokes may be tolerated, but I'm pretty sure I've heard them all, so think twice about whether you should reply or not)
Last edited by augidog on September 16th 2020, 9:51pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scanned original Chevrolet-GMC Dealer "Product Information Guides."
Detailed Options w/RPO's. Learn all about your Astro/Safari's first build.
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=142268
Original Poster [OP]
augidog
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA): Augie
Van Model Year: 1995
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD High-Top

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • If anyone here ever bought jackstands from HF
    by markmitch » May 23rd 2020, 3:21pm in Off Topic
    3 Replies
    Last post by augidog View the latest post
    May 23rd 2020, 3:42pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    October 25th 2020, 5:35am

Re: Fun with Kidney Stones (don't view if squeamish)

Postby WoodButcher » September 16th 2020, 5:44pm

OWWWW!
damn, that hurts from here. Glad you're ok Augie :thumbup:
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby AstroOafAdventurer » September 16th 2020, 8:55pm

Can't say as I've ever had one, but my brother in law gets em almost monthly, some really bad.
Glad you passed it.
KIDNEY-STONES-YOU.jpg
KIDNEY-STONES-YOU.jpg (40.4 KiB) Viewed 315 times
97 Astro Conversion Van 62k miles
AstroOafAdventurer
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Topics: 27
Alias (AKA): Thorsteenster
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: RWD Conversion Van

Postby Rockridge » September 16th 2020, 9:15pm

My heart goes out to you, had a few of those but thankfully none that big! First time I got one I tried to drive myself to the hospital, couldn't operate the car I was in so much pain. You should build a shadow box and put it on the mantle.
Rockridge
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Rockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 46
Alias (AKA): Walker
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby icebrrg3rd » September 17th 2020, 4:03am

augi, I feel your pain...

2015-02-14_PassedStone.jpg

Yes, an ER visit happened a few months before it passed. It was too low for them to break it up with shock wave lithotripsy (ultrasonic) (it was behind my hip bone), and I wasn't letting them fish it out, so I waited it out. 3 months later. This caused me to give up ALL soda, and I now drink 64+ oz water a day. Sorry, didn't have a metric scale available, but that's 3/8" which is almost 10 mm. And I believe that other fragment was actually on the end, but broke off while I was handling it. And yes, I see a Dr yearly and get those uncomfortable check-ups.

Sorry for those who accidentally clicked on this thread...

-Andrew
81 Yamaha Maxim 650XJ 650cc 68k mi
91 Chevy Astro 5L 5-speed, Ford 9" 261k mi
02 Yamaha Road Star 1600cc 27k mi
02 Chrysler Sebring Conv. 2.7L 5-speed 213k mi
10 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8L 180k mi

To her it's all dollars and no sense--Wimpazz
icebrrg3rd
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: icebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 49
Alias (AKA): Andrew
Van Model Year: 1991
Extra Info: V-8 5-sp RWD Shorty

Postby augidog [OP] » September 17th 2020, 2:46pm

icebrrg3rd wrote:augi, I feel your pain...

Yes, an ER visit happened a few months before it passed. It was too low for them to break it up with shock wave lithotripsy (ultrasonic) (it was behind my hip bone), and I wasn't letting them fish it out, so I waited it out. 3 months later. This caused me to give up ALL soda, and I now drink 64+ oz water a day. Sorry, didn't have a metric scale available, but that's 3/8" which is almost 10 mm. And I believe that other fragment was actually on the end, but broke off while I was handling it. And yes, I see a Dr yearly and get those uncomfortable check-ups.

Sorry for those who accidentally clicked on this thread...

-Andrew
yow! that's a d*ck artillery shell! your username is an accidental pun, too.

as I was pondering what had recently changed in my own diet, my mind instantly shouted "cola, ya big dummy!" yup, my recent budget uptick lead to me stocking and drinking more soda. lesson learned!

by the by...in the early 2000's I had a massive staghorn that required 3 separate bouts of lithotripsy with stents, tubes, and strings hanging out, over a two year timeline.

I inquired about busting up this latest stone and was told lithotripsy had been discontinued as too harmful to surrounding tissue.

(ok, rockridge, the shadow box idea was pretty clever. your username is an accidental pun as well.)
Last edited by augidog on September 17th 2020, 5:57pm, edited 8 times in total.
Original Poster [OP]
augidog

Postby markmitch » September 17th 2020, 2:49pm

Horrible thing to deal with I agree, However God does not punish us, no where in any Bible does it say God punishes humans. I am glad you are doing better.
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 608
Alias (AKA): AstroMark or 1st gen
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8

Postby augidog [OP] » September 17th 2020, 2:55pm

markmitch wrote:Horrible thing to deal with I agree, However God does not punish us, no where in any Bible does it say God punishes humans. I am glad you are doing better.
I know that, my friend...I was referring to ancient times when "a god is angry at you" was a medical diagnosis :rolling:

thank you for the sentiment 8-)
Original Poster [OP]
augidog

Postby Leeann_93 » September 18th 2020, 1:12am

My husband gets them, too. Caffeine isn't his trigger, though - soft cheese like mozzarella kills him so he has to avoid pizza. The salt on potato chips seems to bother him if he eats a lot, too.

His urologist recommended he have a drink of lemonade - real lemonade, not powdered crap - every day. Since he cut out mozzarella and started drinking a glass of Newman's Own lemonade daily, he's only had one little stone and that was because he was stupid and ate - yep, you guessed it - 2 slices of pizza.

The big one was the first, and he gave up at 6am and woke me up to bring him to the ER. Where they promptly ignored him while he curled into a fetal position and moaned, until 9am, when a doctor finally deigned to show up. I'll never bother to do that again.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005

Postby augidog [OP] » September 19th 2020, 12:18pm

Leeann_93 wrote:The big one was the first, and he gave up at 6am and woke me up to bring him to the ER. Where they promptly ignored him while he curled into a fetal position and moaned, until 9am, when a doctor finally deigned to show up. I'll never bother to do that again.
I had no idea what was happening to me during the first one, and that was my same exact experience at a civilian ER...by the time they got to me, it was over. after that, I'd suffer/wait until the buses were running, and then go to the VA hospital, where they'd rather quickly assess the size of the stone and administer the appropriate pain medication. that was west palm beach fl, and they did a great job as well over the next two years I described in my OP.

this time, a fairly effective ant-inflammatory was given to me. if they'd read the size correctly, they would have used a narcotic. mmmm...narcotics...
Original Poster [OP]
augidog

Postby AstroWill » September 27th 2020, 12:32am

Leeann_93 wrote:My husband gets them, too. Caffeine isn't his trigger, though - soft cheese like mozzarella kills him so he has to avoid pizza. The salt on potato chips seems to bother him if he eats a lot, too.

I didn't even know that could be a trigger. I hardly ever drink soda and consume very little caffeine, but never even thought of soft cheeses.
I've been fortunate enough to never have one. Fingers crossed that I don't ever have to give up my cheese addiction.
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 106
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby Leeann_93 » September 27th 2020, 12:35am

Right? That would kill me. I didn’t know that was a trigger, either.

The doc also said milk chocolate and nuts, but you have to eat more of them to cause the problem.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005

Postby Big_kid » September 27th 2020, 3:10am

No mozzarella? Chocolate? Nuts? wow... what's left? Pepperoni? Without soft cheeses what's the point?

I truly feel for him. I don't know that I could do it.
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby markmitch » September 27th 2020, 3:33am

Tea can cause them too, black tea, green tea, any real tea can do it. So if you are prone to them read up on the causes. Last time I had one that brought to the hospital I was drinking like a gallon of ice tea a day. Have not had one in many years now. I may drink ice tea once or twice a summer now though and I have not drank dark soda of any kind for about 15 years except maybe a dr pepper with dinner once or twice cause they had no ice tea or lemon aid.
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 608
Alias (AKA): AstroMark or 1st gen
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8

Postby sixsixsixsix is online! » September 27th 2020, 5:24pm

markmitch wrote: ... I may drink ice tea once or twice a summer now though and I have not drank dark soda of any kind for about 15 years except maybe a dr pepper with dinner once or twice cause they had no ice tea or lemon aid.

Well, now that says a lot.

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “Everything needs to change except the asshole culture and stupid way of life of the avg. antifa, BLM follower - slobs, cowards, killers w/o any thought that they, IN FACT, are now the Racists.”

sixsixsixsix is online!
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 37
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K