New HO 145 Amp Alternator Upgrade

New HO 145 Amp Alternator Upgrade

Postby Mmusicman [OP] » September 22nd 2020, 8:08pm

I upgraded my 2000 from the stock 105amp alternator to the HD high-output 145amp alternator.

The 145A utilizes the larger GM AD244 case. Many larger GM vehicles and trucks use this model.
This model is common and sold everywhere: https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1QJ ... iEQ4dUDCA0
Apparently, the larger unit is easily interchangeable with the smaller 105amp model... offering more total output, and much higher idling output too.

My issue isn't that I need more than 145 amps.. but that I need more charging power at idle and cruise.
My excessive and extra needs include dual-a/c (front and rear), high-power electric fan, and extra fog lights.

Here's my rough max estimate of amperage usage:

20 - Front A/C blower (high)
20 - Rear A/C blower (high)
20 - Electric fan
10 - Headlights (55w x2)
10 - Fog-lights (55w x2)
10 - Fuel Pump
10 - Engine Computer and electronics

That's easily and very roughly about 100amps max draw on a hot day with DUAL A/C on full .. at idle.

My stock 105amp alternator seemed to work fine under normal load (when it was new), but eventually seemed to produce less output, especially even less when hot, and loaded down. I would see my charging voltage sometimes at about 11.5-12v (at new battery) idling under full load... and about 12.5 partially loaded.

New alternator produces minimum 13V FULLY LOADED at low idle, and this voltage remains constant when cruising. In other words, it essentially produces about same output idling (for my current demands) as it does at higher rpm... there is very little difference, output remains constant.

Here are my relative dash readings (at idle HEAVILY loaded) ... before AND after ...

20200901_174340both.jpg

This is cold charging voltage of new unit (with normal load)...
But charging voltage hot is between 13v-13.5v

20200912_113320.jpg

Here is the charging spec sheet that came with it: (click to zoom)

20200913_130329.jpg

In my process of checking voltages everywhere...
I discovered a bad factory ground (connector hot..about 100-200mV loss loaded)
(this is the chassis ground direct from battery to chassis)
Battery to engine block ground was solid, no loss.

Despite thorough cleaning.. this ground STILL had resistance (see corroded wire at green area)
This factory ground lug was cut off and replaced.

20200913_101839.jpg

PURCHASE AND INSTALLATION

I bought the NEW CarQuest 8292AN (from Advance Auto)
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/car ... 10017989-P

I decided to buy locally for several reasons:
* No shipping headaches (both directions) and core charges
* Easy same day exchange (if defective)
* Good price .. ($192 minus 25% online discount) I paid $145
* Stocked in all stores
* Limited Lifetime Warranty
I like the idea if it fails I can easily get it replaced same day over the counter, anytime almost anywhere, and it comes with Lifetime Warranty. Most of the aftermarket units I saw had only One Year Warranty.

I consider my purchase a good value.
Also note this unit is NEW.. not REMAN.

AD244 145A CarQuest 8292AN...

20200912_101257.jpg

It's actually listed for a 2003 Hummer (along with many GM cars and Trucks of similar era)

20200912_104103.jpg

Here you can see the physical size difference of stock vs larger AD244 case.
New unit has SAME identical size pulley as stock unit.
(some aftermarket brands attempt to spin faster w/smaller pulley to achieve higher idling output)

20200912_103423.jpg

Not just larger diameter case, but thicker/deeper too (note where front and rear halves bolt together).
Note only slight variations between them.
"Clocking" of output terminal and 4pin connector are very close to similar as well...

20200912_103501.jpg

While apart, I cleaned up the main alternator power connector...

20200912_104904.jpg

The LARGER new unit dropped in like it was made for it! (fit same mounts)
There were ZERO issues... dropped in PERFECTLY!

Note: always tap outward the mounting tab bushings before placement so it falls into place.
An aliment tool is always most beneficial too.. bolts turned in easily.

20200912_110442.jpg

The clocking of the 4 pin connector (note only 1 wire) is perfect (just left of filler tubes)

20200912_112230.jpg

FINALLY HERE IT IS INSTALLED and DONE.
For whatever reason, my original belt also fit perfectly.

20200912_111748.jpg

My charging voltage remains strong and constant, loaded or unloaded, idle or speed, it doesn't matter.
What can I say... IT WORKS GREAT!
(I should have done this long ago)

I considered many options, and looked at many aftermarket performance products online.
I considered this the best value and most reliable solution for me. :D

Cheers!
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Original Poster [OP]
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 72
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • New alternator and Cable install...Inline fuse size?
    by fleetline51 » July 26th 2020, 9:46pm in Electrical
    10 Replies
    Last post by MechBob View the latest post
    July 28th 2020, 11:16pm
  • Good High End Alternator?
    by ri$e*above » June 27th 2020, 8:00pm in Electrical
    16 Replies
    Last post by ri$e*above View the latest post
    July 4th 2020, 2:16am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    October 20th 2020, 1:14pm

Re: New HO 145 Amp Alternator Upgrade

Postby dcsleeper » September 22nd 2020, 9:36pm

I had that alt on my radar, but you pulled the trigger for me!
Please update your User Control Panel to include your location!!! it's in the upper right!
Profile | Edit signature

Rockridge wrote:maybe in my case it could be Vanna White
dcsleeper
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004

Postby MechBob » September 23rd 2020, 5:05am

You made a good upgrade. the 244 is a great alt,even the cheep china ones on the bay.
MechBob
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: MechBob has been a member for 2 full yearsMechBob has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): Bob
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: 4x4

Postby Mmusicman [OP] » September 23rd 2020, 2:03pm

MechBob wrote:You made a good upgrade. the 244 is a great alt,even the cheep china ones on the bay.

Thanks Bob.

Yeah, at one point I strongly considered the cheap Ebay models as serious contenders (I had one in my shopping cart ready to purchase). I believed if I got a good one, it would be fine. My only real negative concern would be the warranty shipping exchange issues that concerned me most... as well a very short 1-year warranty periods. Let's face it.. alternators seem to ALL fail eventually over time.

Honestly I believe what I bought is probably similar anyway. Everything is made in China now... and often you are shopping the same stuff with different middle-men (companies) rebadging them and marking up the prices for their own profit. Buy from the right source on Ebay, and your often getting the wholesale price from a California warehouse with products fresh off the boat from China.

Those Ebay custom 3-row radiators might be another perfect example.
But they work great at a good price.

I had a price limit budget of $200. I even considered the ACDelco AD244 model, but saw too many negative reviews lately. Same thing.. they source it out to China, then put their name on it. Same issues with shipping and warranties if it fails. The "Carquest" generic model (NEW) I purchased came in at my price point, but I got and additional 25% off (almost $50 online) order discount. The reviews were mostly very good.. quality of the unit visually "appears" excellent too.

The expensive aftermarket stuff looked somewhat enticing (maybe just good marketing)... but I really don't need 250amp capability, and they all seemed to only carry a 1-year warranty as well. I saw they had failures too, and their warranties had limitations. Also noted was that their output power at idle might be lacking, or no better than stock.

I don't mind spending more if I know for SURE I'm actually getting a better product.
Assembled in USA is fine.. but at double the price? Same Chinese parts. And then they fail just the same anyway? It's an electronic AND rotating mechanical part under heavy load in an extremely hot and wet environment. And the USA stuff still only comes with 1-year warranty?

So I elected to buy over the counter locally from a major autoparts chain. If it was bad out of box, I could have another replacement immediately (5 blocks from my house). If the unit develops issues over time, it's still an immediate over the counter exchange (no shipping issues). An finally, what I bought was brand new (not reman).. and comes with Lifetime Warranty.

Pretty huge deal for finding a high-powered product that does what I need it to do... and I never have to purchase it again.
Last edited by Mmusicman on September 23rd 2020, 5:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
Original Poster [OP]
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years

Postby WoodButcherWoodButcher is online! » September 23rd 2020, 2:40pm

Thanks MM for the info, I'll put this on the list for when mine comes due.
WoodButcherWoodButcher is online!
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby Mmusicman [OP] » September 23rd 2020, 3:55pm

I just offered why I like, why I consider it smart value, it and why it works for me.
Your results may vary. But I obviously think it will be fine.
We'll see how well it does over time...but at least it will be covered. :D

One more further note... not one single modification was needed!
No drilling, no filing, nothing needed relocation.. it dropped in perfectly!
For me, even my belt still fit!

I'm surprised the online auto sites don't offer this AD244 case style as an HO alternative.
Original Poster [OP]
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby Bengt Weil » September 23rd 2020, 5:25pm

Still trying to figure out how the original belt, used with the original alternator fit the new larger body alternator, given the pulley shaft is in a different position (requiring a longer belt)...? :shrug:
Bengt Weil
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: Bengt Weil has been a member for 7 full yearsBengt Weil has been a member for 7 full yearsBengt Weil has been a member for 7 full yearsBengt Weil has been a member for 7 full yearsBengt Weil has been a member for 7 full yearsBengt Weil has been a member for 7 full yearsBengt Weil has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 12
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2003

Postby Mmusicman [OP] » September 23rd 2020, 5:28pm

Bengt Weil wrote:Still trying to figure out how the original belt, used with the original alternator fit the new larger body alternator, given the pulley shaft is in a different position (requiring a longer belt)...? :shrug:

Easy... the spring loaded belt tensioner pulley sits a little further in now.

Originally tensioner sat closer to 8-9 o'clock position.. now it sits closer to 7 o'clock position.
The actual physical alternator pulley location difference is probably less than an inch.

Maybe my Continental/Gator belt was a half size larger, and fit either application?

New (larger case) ...

Old (smaller case) ...

20200912_100355.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement