Extreme "get home" repair...lets hear 'em

Re: Extreme "get home" repair...lets hear 'em

Postby sixsix » October 2nd 2020, 9:59pm

oof

Haha, I owned 2 MGs - never had to do that to get home. $10 and the girl pushed the B home.

... and you take care of the Explicit What-not - oops !

:shock:

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “May be hard to believe... President Trump should rest easy and concede what was in fact a foregone conclusion: Another OLD MAN won with only about 50% of the Change Believers/Fools showing up."

sixsix
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby DriveDog » October 2nd 2020, 10:17pm

Had just left on a 6 hour trip with new GF to get a new bonnet for my GT6. Bent one was coat hanger-wired on. After the engine warmed up it still wanted the choke. Eventually I pulled off and unwired the wrecked bonnet and saw that the PVC hose had rotted off and it was sucking air into the intake from behind the carbs. Oops. I had nothing. But a ball point pen, that is, which i jammed in. Wired the bonnet back on, proceeded on to get my new bonnet and swap them, and made it back, no problem. The only comment GF made was "Are you just gonna leave that junk here?", referring to the old bonnet lying beside the car as I fired it up to head home.
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered!" --Number Six
DriveDog
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: DriveDog has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 8
Alias (AKA): David
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: LT RWD

Postby Leeann_93 » October 3rd 2020, 12:38am

My FIL had a Singer Gazelle convertible. Two miles from town, he ran out of gas (it got 40 mpg). While looking through the backseat and trunk to find a suitable container to put some gas in, he found a pint container of windshield washer additive. It said "CAUTION–-FLAMMABLE".

Leon said, "huh" and, very, very carefully, poured what he could into the primaries on the carb and drove it to the gas station two miles down the road.

I should explain that Leon was a mechanic. He could make anything run. Anything. Cars, trucks, tanks, boats, motorcycles, anything. His father was Jonathan Maxwell's personal machine shop apprentice and helped carry him out of the house when he died. Don't know who Jonathan Maxwell was? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell_automobile

Leon was the first mechanic who took apart a Corvair engine. He worked for a dealer at the time and had to show the factory representative what was wrong with it (bosses in the crankcase weren't drilled - the bare castings hadn't been finish machined on that block but no one at GM could figure out why that engine had to be replaced under warranty). He was an automatic transmission expert when no one understood automatics, too (I still think they're voodoo).
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby Old Barney » October 3rd 2020, 2:40am

My father had a '40 ford dump truck and a 48 car. Both flat heads had the fuel pump mounted to the oil filler pipe on the very back of the motor. Actuated by a push rod in a cup on the end of the pump lever, I seem him cut a piece of his belt off stuck that in the fuel pump lever cup. both lasted years that way.
Another time his '55 chevy 6 had a rod knocking he removed the pan while soaking a piece of his belt in the oil again. He removed the loosest rod cap removed the incerts trimmed to fit leather tightened the rod cap and drove that car another year. Never owned a torque wrench.
Old Barney
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Old Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 23
Alias (AKA): Barney
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: awd

Postby stent » October 7th 2020, 4:43am

coming back from spring break in florida in days of old in a friends flat front chevy van. 250 inline 6 began overheating, we pulled in to an auto parts store parking lot, figured out that the harmonic balancer rubber ring rotted & the outer metal balancer ring which was also the fan belt pulley was not turning the water pump/alternator (much). the loose pulley/ring didn't go into the radiator because of an unused bolt on pulley in front of the balancer. we took off the loose balancer ring, turned the front pulley around backwards so the dish was over the broken balancer hub, shimmed it with washers to line up with one of the water pump pulley's 2 grooves, got a short fan belt that was a jam fit/no adjustment/pryed it on with a screwdriver from crank to water pump, got another short fan belt for the other water pump pulley groove which lined up with the alternator & off we went for the price of some washers & 2 fan belts. the extra pulley groove that got us home must have come from the smog pump that everyone threw in the trash, thanks GM!. back at school my friend had a new balancer put on at the school's auto mechanics program's shop and they turned the front pulley back around but left the fan belts the same way as we rigged it....
stent
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: stent has been a member for 3 full yearsstent has been a member for 3 full yearsstent has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: rwd cargo

Postby Rod's Trucks » October 7th 2020, 5:44am

Back in the 1970's I was doing winter car rallies Canada. The event was called 'Thunderbird Winter Rallye'; and ran in early February in lower and middle parts of British Columbia.
My 'ride' was a hopped up VW beetle. In the middle of one cold snowy winter night we started smelling hot oil. Pretty soon it was a serious stink. We had a brief bit of time to stop, so we got out to check, and there was engine oil all over the motor, and dripping in the snow.
During the last engine work, an external oil cooler was added. It was located between the upright fan housing and the rear firewall, and the oil was fed to and from it by hoses.
One of the hose lamps had somehow worked loose, and the leak location was in an impossible spot to get to without pulling the motor in any normal situation.
I used a hatchet to cut an access hole in the rear firewall ( behind the back seat) , to get at the hose clamps. That made it a easy to get to, and tighten, the hose clamps. We discovered there was a major wiring harness across the middle of that firewall, on the motor side. It was under some heavy heat and noise deadening insulation.
Slicing through those wires was a big surprise, and splicing enough of the the wires back together to get us running probably took us longer than cutting the hole and fixing the leaking hose.
We still finished the event well ahead of some of the other competitors.
Sorry, there was no time for pictures.... :lol:
Rod J
Rod's Trucks
Topics: 24
Alias (AKA): Rod and/or WE7X
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: Forest Green LS AWD

Postby stent » October 8th 2020, 8:52pm

Rod's Trucks wrote:Back in the 70's ...... I used a hatchet.
Sorry, there was no time for pictures.... :

update :

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
7f73b4b6de232b1c113ed8da1ecca3df.jpg

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
stent
Years of Membership: stent has been a member for 3 full yearsstent has been a member for 3 full yearsstent has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: rwd cargo

Postby N6KB » October 8th 2020, 9:56pm

Some time around 1980 I drove my 1968 Ford Cortina to see the Rolling Stones at Candlestick Park in San Francisco, almost 300 miles from where I lived. The Cortina had a 12 Volt system using a Generator and Regulator, not an alternator. The generator had failed once before and it was expensive to replace, and also difficult to find a replacement generator. Somewhere in Marin the generator failed the morning of the Rolling Stones concert. I did not want to chance the battery lasting long enough to get over the Golden Gate Bridge and to the concert. I did not have a battery charger and I really, really, really did not want to pay whatever towing charge and other fees would be incurred by getting stuck on the bridge. So I parked the car and me and my girlfriend hitchiked to the show. The next day was a Sunday. We hitchhiked back to the car and fortunately there was an auto parts store open not too far away. Of course that generator was unobtainium. I bought a replacement alternator for a Toyota which was pretty easy to mount on the engine with the same brackets that had held the generator in place. The only problem was the pulley mounted directly onto the alternator was about two inches out of line with the other pulleys the belt had to run through. I bought a stack of flat washers and some long bolts that fit the alternator hub threaded holes. Spaced the pulley out with the washers, put on the belt and drove back home. It worked so well I continued to drive the Cortina that way for another few years.
N6KB
Years of Membership: N6KB has been a member for 7 full yearsN6KB has been a member for 7 full yearsN6KB has been a member for 7 full yearsN6KB has been a member for 7 full yearsN6KB has been a member for 7 full yearsN6KB has been a member for 7 full yearsN6KB has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 49
Alias (AKA): N6KB
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Previous