2004 Astro Cargo Van Power door Lock Problem / Questions

2004 Astro Cargo Van Power door Lock Problem / Questions

Postby DD1 [OP] » October 9th 2020, 4:12am

I have a 2004 Chevy Astro Cargo Van and the Power Door Locks don't work properly. I have a suspicion it may have something to do with the crappy Alarm system the PO installed which I need to remove. Here are my observations and questions. I appreciate any help or insight anyone can provide.

1. Front Doors or Side Doors will not lock or unlock with the Power Lock switches.

2. A Clicking Noise is heard under the dash when you press the Power Lock Switches.

3. Only the Side Door unlocks or locks when the Gear Shifter is placed in Park or Drive.

4. The Rear Door has an unused plug which I would assume is for Power Locks, but there is no Power Lock mechanism in the door.

Any thoughts on what might be causing the problems with the Power Lock Switches?

Additional questions:

A. Is it possible to convert the rear door to Power Locks?

B. Am I able to get a Programmable Key Fob that would activate the locks remotely or do I need to get a new alarm system?

Thanks for your help.
Original Poster [OP]
DD1
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): Darien
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Cargo Van RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: 2004 Astro Cargo Van Power door Lock Problem / Questions

Postby Leeann_93 » October 10th 2020, 4:48pm

The alarm system is a place to start. Remove it, put the wiring back to factory, and test again.

The door pin switches - GM calls them door jamb switches - are a frequent cause of incorrect locking/unlocking, especially with the slider. Next most common cause is the driver's switch itself or the wiring to it. You hear clicking under the dash, so it sounds like the power lock relay is getting the signal.

Here's the wiring diagram for an '05 with dutch doors - I'll find the one with barn doors in a few.
2005 Door Locks, Dutch.jpg

EDIT: found it
2005_Locks_Barn.jpg
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby Leeann_93 » October 10th 2020, 5:06pm

Found the diagrams for the lock actuators, as well.

Dutch
LockActuators_Dutch.jpg

Barn
LockActuators.jpg
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby DD1 [OP] » October 13th 2020, 2:41am

Leeann_93 wrote:The alarm system is a place to start. Remove it, put the wiring back to factory, and test again.

The door pin switches - GM calls them door jamb switches - are a frequent cause of incorrect locking/unlocking, especially with the slider. Next most common cause is the driver's switch itself or the wiring to it. You hear clicking under the dash, so it sounds like the power lock relay is getting the signal.

Here's the wiring diagram for an '05 with dutch doors - I'll find the one with barn doors in a few.
2005 Door Locks, Dutch.jpg

EDIT: found it
2005_Locks_Barn.jpg

Leann, Wow! Thank You. I appreciate the help. I had found the diagram for the Dutch doors in a Haynes manual I purchased used, but could not find the Barn Door diagram. I will have to review these and see if I can trace the problem. The timing is great as I'm going to remove the door panels to replace the mirrors anyway; I can check the door switch at the same time.
Original Poster [OP]
DD1
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): Darien
Extra Info: Cargo Van RWD

Postby AstroWill » October 14th 2020, 11:50am

DD1 wrote:I had found the diagram for the Dutch doors in a Haynes manual I purchased used, but could not find the Barn Door diagram. I will have to review these and see if I can trace the problem. The timing is great as I'm going to remove the door panels to replace the mirrors anyway; I can check the door switch at the same time.

Grab the GM Techline eSI, it's the digital factory service manual and WAY more useful than the Haynes manual. See links in my signature.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore them & go about your business.
What has two thumbs and is living in your head rent-free? We hereby claim that it's this guy! Image
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby Apluspandp » November 25th 2020, 6:55pm

How do I get one of these digital copies of the factory guide?
Apluspandp
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA): Frank

Postby AstroWill » Yesterday, 1:40am

Apluspandp wrote:How do I get one of these digital copies of the factory guide?

There is a link in my signature/profile that has a list of links. There is also a short guide to setting up Virtualbox on there as well.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore them & go about your business.
What has two thumbs and is living in your head rent-free? We hereby claim that it's this guy! Image
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense