Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

What have you done to/with your van today?

1M views 17K replies 709 participants last post by  bryancraftyhands 
#1 ·
The Jeep forum I'm on has this thread. Thought I'd bring it here. The idea is to post quick little things that really aren't special enough to have their own thread.

I go first.

Seven (my new parts van): Removed the rear drive shaft and mounted two donuts in the front. Then towed it to my brothers house.

Loaded up nicely, once Grumpy was used to shove it up the ramps.

Uhaul thinks we're moving a Dodge Neon. They won't rent tow dollies to move an Astro, they are supposed to be too wide.

The only good reason to use donuts on an Astro.

Plenty of room now.

We didn't bring Grumpy to the unload point and couldn't push Seven off the dolly. Our solution, set it's parking brake and pull the dolly out from under it. Worked beautifully. Unfortunately I didn't take pics or video of that.

See less See more
#16,183 ·
Two weeks ago I had a sudden misfire after starting up not to far from home. Engine light was flashing and read out to a P0300. I started up the car gauge pro and saw that it was cylinder 6 constantly misfiring. I was pretty upset because I rebuilt the passenger side head two years ago and could only imagine what was wrong. So I removed the doghouse and opened up the 2yo cap rotor and cleaned some corrosion off the contacts. Van was still misfiring. So I removed the spark plug and instantly smelled raw gas. So I swapped out the spark plug wire with cylinder 4 expecting to see the misfire switch cylinders. After starting it up the van was running fine with no misfires. I thought wtf maybe a bad contact or something. So I drove around for a few days like that and ordered a new brass cap and rotor and set of AcDelco wires. Just finished installing them and the van feels great.

Attachments

#16,184 ·
Absolutely Gorgeous Blue !!!

It's like an M. Knight or Frank Miller movie shot.
'specting Bruce or Mickey to jump from behind a bracket.

Birdshake Blue Dist.jpg

Be Blue Best
Against the Gray
Beyond the Test

nahh... BLM got to the Blue - no more Kentucky Round Ball in this House.

Oof, what was the Q... ?

#16,186 ·
-
WEEKEND UPDATE: (click any photo to zoom)
Did a little camping this weekend in Dunnellon Florida. :D

20201024_123501.jpg

Our view...

20201024_140401a.jpg

Steak dinner!

20201024_181538.jpg

Very comfy and roomy FULL sized bed! (before wife installs sheets and curtains)
(there's actually a little room to move around in front of it..lol)

20201006_180234bed.jpg

Packing A/C is a must!

20201022_175244.jpg

20201024_123847.jpg

20201024_123841.jpg

Some guy brought a tubbed BIG BLOCK 85 Astro shorty to our event.
I found it to be the MOST interesting van in our show
(front clip was changed to Gen 2 to fit the big block)

20201024_123303.jpg

Big block 454 fit nicely!

20201024_123225.jpg

TUBBED! AWESOME NARROWED REAR!

20201024_123135.jpg

Camped next to our band...

20201024_173447.jpg

20201024_173456.jpg

Our band ROCKED!

20201024_194845.jpg

A good time was had by all!

20201024_194914.jpg

Campfire is ONLY for show! lol

20201024_194810.jpg

Here's how it looked and sounded at our coffee pot...lol

Here's how it looked from our site later on...

That's how WE roll in Florida! :D

#16,192 ·
That's Awesome...Music Man Partying with his Home AC in the window and we northerners looking at the first snow...

Our area's Friday forecast calls for a "coating to 2" which means our roads will then be coated with salt for who knows how long...wonderful

Hey Mmusicman nice party...I'm envious maybe I should ship my van south and go party with you guys

#16,193 ·
Mmusicman's party looks like a lot of fun! Will's snow, not so much. I grew up in snow, and have no desire to live in a place where the air hurts my face. To each their own though!

#16,194 ·
I love being where the air hurts my face (it doesn't hurt, really). Humidity + heat = no bueno . Cold + snow = :dance:

We're supposed to get serious rain tomorrow, often torrential. Yay.

#16,195 ·
I've had my new driver's window-motor on the shelf for some time. The original was overheating, I've been busy with moving and any other thing rather than changing the motor, but I was getting tired of the naked door. So I told myself put the panel back on, tomorrow morning, and when the motor finally does crap out, we'll change it. Lucky for me, it crapped out that evening. The job took longer than it should have because my shop isn't organized yet, but i drilled out the 4 pop-rivets, drilled the holes slightly larger for larger pop-rivets, and was finished before i knew it.

Now that the driver's window is working great, I realize how slow the passenger window is. Guess I might as well put another new motor on the shelf.

I'm hoping for some snow this winter, which is rare on the coast, so I can finally show off my AWD.

#16,196 ·
Good job augidog these doors are not fun to work on..I wish I had power windows to work on...

well the forecast was spot on it's snowing as I write this, looks like it will be parked for awhile..

Attachments

#16,197 ·
-
Slow day: :D

Found another previous video I hadn't shared yet.
Testing my Holley upgrade... a casual cruise around the block.
I typically early shift max around 5000 rpm... even though it will go well past.
(this Holley carb is close to 40 years old)
Van has been parked in garage for about 6 months now since this video was taken.. I think it's still ready to go!

Not my best engine photo.. but it's one of the few that shows the Holley carb

Here are the original installation posts:
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... y#p1546270
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... y#p1546626

#16,198 ·
This past weekend I installed a replacement ECM/BCM (electronic/body control module).

My stock unit had developed some weird intermittent dash display issues. Even though I temporarily resolved the issue by cleaning up some very minor internal water-damage, as well as the connectors.. I no longer completely trust the unit. It hasn't given me any further trouble, but I'd rather not run into an issue that might cause further trouble down the road.

I ordered this replacement from "Flashmasters" on Ebay $119 (thanks Leeann for the GREAT advice).
They are very highly rated and their prices are the best online too.

Here's the old unit:

See discussion about symptoms: https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 0#p1563684
(scroll past driveshaft discussion)

I disconnected the battery and moved the fuse block out of the way.
For those who may not be aware... the ECM is vertically mounted located just below and next to the battery.
The old unit can be removed (one single clip) with connectors/wiring still attached... and then disconnected once you get it up and out in the open.

20201031_153137.jpg

Here's my replacement unit (next to old one):

20201031_154350.jpg

* The unit must be ordered with VIN number programmed into it.
* Additionally, there is a "key learning" program that must be done after the unit is installed.

It will briefly start, sputter.. then quickly die.
It requires 3 "ten minute cycles" with key on.. until security light goes out (each time).
Then it starts right up and runs great.

My understanding there is a "crank-shaft relearn" programming that is supposed to be done, but I have not done this and probably won't bother (at least not for now). I think it requires programming equipment I do not have. My understanding it will throw a code and cause the engine light to come on. Supposedly you won't get correct misfire info. There doesn't seem to be any performance issue.. runs great.

I will keep the old unit now as a spare.

------------------------------------------

I also replaced my front AWD wheel hub this past weekend too...

See my installation post: https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 0#p1567280

#16,199 ·
Mmusicman your SBC looks so good in there I want one !

I was looking at my ECM when I was working under the hood and thinking what a pita to get at.... that new one should give you peace of mind now...

I scored these on E-Bay, a nice finishing touch for my new/old carpet

Attachments

#16,200 ·
Busy weekend. Started off with checking my fuel pressure regulator. Never really looked at it, knew of the mods to make it adjustable but just didn't get around to it...til now.

Hmmm, looks a little filthy.
2020-11-07_FuelPressReg01.jpg

Broken spring isn't doing its job.
2020-11-07_FuelPressReg02.jpg

Modified one, if you spin the bottom it moves the screw. Tack welded the screw to it.
2020-11-07_FuelPressReg03.jpg

Then I hit the junkyard. Score! Middle of Oct they dropped off a '92 LT, and it hadn't been scavenged much. I grabbed a few things off it. First was a reman alternator that had just been put in. Snag for $24, not that mine was necessarily bad, but can't pass that up, especially since someone had already removed it and it was just sitting inside the van.
2020-11-08_Alternator.jpg

Then I felt like my van needed less, so I pulled the dash.
2020-11-08_DashSwap01.jpg

It had spent many years in Florida, so the dash was cracked in many places.
2020-11-08_DashSwap02.jpg

I got the new one in, but I lost the light (thank you daylight savings) so no pics yet. I must have bumped a connection, the memory on the radio isn't working so it doesn't hold the time. Guess I'm going back in.

Oh, I recommend never doing this. Pain in the ... And if you do choose to do it, get some help. I'm aching now.

-Andrew

#16,201 ·
I just finished installing some inexpensive 'Americus" brand LT235/75R15 10ply rated tires.
The tires that can with my van about three years ago, were 215/75's and were worn unevenly on the inside edges when I bought the van. The PO had rotated the fronts to the rear, and then done a lot of front end work and had it aligned, so that accounted for most of the uneven wear. I subsequently replaced the steering gear, and had another alignment done.
I decided to take a chance on these because I liked the 10ply rating, the price ( less than $100 each from an E-bay seller with free shipping), and the fairly aggressive tread pattern. They have a 40K tread wear warranty, but I will probably tear them up or they will rot before that many miles.
I do not put a lot of miles on this van. I only average about 2K per year, but what I do is with a lot of it off pavement; logging and forest roads and gravel county roads, which can be hard on tires.
I have done the 2inch body lift with pucks and JOR shackles, and I am getting some minor rubbing with the front wheels turned to near full lock. The rubbing is on the pinch weld, which can be fairly easily ''adjusted'.
I had already removed the front bumper and side cladding so that is not a rub issue, and the replacement 'cargo' lower wheel well trims are not showing any signs of rubbing, but I have not stressed the suspension yet.