Polyurethane Bushings for Leaf Springs - INCREDIBLE!

Re: Polyurethane Bushings for Leaf Springs - INCREDIBLE!

Postby dcsleeperdcsleeper is online! » August 27th 2020, 11:34pm

bump for a great thread!
Please update your User Control Panel to include your location!!! it's in the upper right!
Profile | Edit signature

Lumpy wrote:You can weld a cheese sandwich to a shower head and add a blind side bracket for a baboon circumcision tool holder if you want to...
dcsleeperdcsleeper is online!
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 18
Alias (AKA): DC
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: I have 2 1AWD 1RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Postby pmou » September 3rd 2020, 9:11pm

Thanks for the bump DC, i'm gonna end up ordering some of these now that I'm aware that they exist!
pmou
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA): Paul
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: V6 AWD 3.73 no LSD

Postby pmou » September 30th 2020, 3:27pm

Just ordered a set to install while I'm doing my lift. ordered prothane body bushings as well to get them all at once.
pmou

Postby thenextdon13 » October 7th 2020, 2:52am

I'm confused-
I've got a 2003 Astro, steel multi-leaf rear springs (stock as far as i know)
Purchased Energy Suspension 3.2124G, 1.510" OD.
Pull out the first stock bushing, and find that the poly bushings are way too loose.
The ID of the leaf spring eyelet measured ~1.653" with my calipers.
Looking on rockauto, the front spring bushing is the only one listed for my 2003- and the OD of those bushings is 1.68". 1992 listings had the same 1.68" bushigns listed, nothing near 1.5".

What am i missing?
thenextdon13
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA): CJ

Postby GizmoCaldwell » October 9th 2020, 3:28am

I noticed today while looking at Rock Auto that they only list front bushings. It turns out that the rears are listed as leaf spring shackle bushings, but they all seem interchangeable at about 1.7" OD. X 3" One set of Delphi even says they're good for front or back.
Hope you figure it out!
GizmoCaldwell
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1996

Postby thenextdon13 » October 10th 2020, 12:47am

Thank you.
I picked up a set of the 1.75" OD poly bushings (energy p/n 3.2125G), managed to squeeze them in using some threaded rod.. concerned with how tight the center sleeve is, and squeaking- but going to try it on one corner (the one i removed the bushing from) and see how it goes..
thenextdon13
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA): CJ

Postby pmou » October 11th 2020, 10:45pm

@don - I can confirm you're not insane, but now I'm confused about everyone else in this thread... 2003 gmc safari, I purchased the ones listed here and they didn't fit at all (shoulders too wide, od too small, inner sleeve too short). currently grounded because I'm gonna have to order something that properly fits. any thoughts yet on the bushings you ordered?
pmou

Postby pmou » October 12th 2020, 1:19am

ok so perhaps a bit non conventional, but it looks to me like if I leave the outer sleeves from the stock rubber in, the Id on the leaf actually lines up pretty well with the ones from this thread. then the issue becomes width, the new inner sleeve is the correct length but the bushings stick out too far. I think if I grind the lips from the outer sleeve off, then it can all work out.. a bit out there? so someone please let me know if I'm about to commit suspension crimes..
pmou

Postby pmou » October 12th 2020, 3:36am

One more follow up, I think this will end up being the ticket here -- off road designs has bushing kits (and individual bushings) that should fit our vans (3rd gen for me, I assume that's the difference here?).

Greasable bolts (kinda wild idea, but i like it) https://www.offroaddesign.com/greasable ... -kits.html
Just bushings ( 1/2 at a time, IE you need 8x to do the whole rear end) https://www.offroaddesign.com/ordb8003- ... shing.html
non greasable (appears to be same price as greasable) https://www.offroaddesign.com/non-greas ... yes-n.html

The kits are based around the ORDB8003 bushing (the second link) which is 43mm / 1.71" OD x .75 ID and 0.25" shoulder thickness. If that ID fits the current sleeves I have, I may order just the bushings. Although, I will say those greasable bolts seem kinda tempting to get the whole kit for $66 vs $26 or so for the bushings by themselves.
pmou

Postby pmou » October 13th 2020, 6:49pm

I have ordered a bushing set from the above store, i'll followup here with how the fit works out when I have them on hand
pmou

Postby AstroWill » October 14th 2020, 12:21pm

Good find. I wonder if Daystar has something that will fit, something like: https://amzn.to/33U4aBH

Couldn't quickly find a cross reference, but something I want to look into. They have the same kit for many vehicles, so I'm sure we could find something to fit.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore them & go about your business.
What has two thumbs and is living in your head rent-free? We hereby claim that it's this guy! Image
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby pmou » October 20th 2020, 2:38am

Bushings arrived today. Here's some photos for reference. Definitely high quality molding (no gaps / bubbles due to low pressure), stamped with the ORD part #, so appears that they are in fact custom molded, and it appears the entire face is machined, along with the chamfers. I know this because.. unfortunately one of mine showed up having not been machined.. You can see in the photos the comparisons. As far as measurements.. according to my calipers the shoulders on these particular ones were all about .02" too wide (at about .27" when .25" expected & spec'ed on web site). I'll ask about that when i hear back about the one missing the machining. Installing into the leaves confirms that the bushings are slightly too large in the shoulder area most likely, the 3" sleeves i had were a hair narrower than the bushings. Diameter was still a bit tight, managed to pop one in with grease and a rubber mallet, however the other without room to swing due to gas tank meant i used the rear shackle bolt (longer than the leaf bolts) with 2 pieces of plywood as a bushing press to get it in. Sleeve went in via rubber mallet after both bushings in.

No pics on the vehicle as getting dark, apologies.

PXL_20201019_231150939.jpg
back right is missing machining

PXL_20201019_231207191.jpg

PXL_20201019_231217048.jpg

PXL_20201019_232608084.jpg
minor diameter

PXL_20201019_232644317.jpg
shoulder thickness

PXL_20201019_232707200.jpg
inner diameter

PXL_20201019_232804633.jpg
installed on sleeve
pmou

Postby pmou » November 3rd 2020, 4:19am

Happy to report installing these went smoothly. They are a little tight, ended up using a bolt and a couple small pieces of 3/8 plywood I had around to create a sort of poor mans bearing press. Without this, I don't think I could have gotten them in.. maybe if i stuck them in the freezer or something. Once in, they were slightly wider than the 3" sleeve. I brought this up to ORD, and he said that's ok.. they'll just squish. Although I'm not sure that my van was sounding quite like a stagecoach before this.. it is definitely nice and quite back there now (even with a stripped interior just bare metal). Highly recommend the ORD bushings! Long term test to follow...
pmou

Previous