Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Taller Motor Mounts?

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Sparkydog 
#1 ·
I'm going to put 3" spacers between body and subframe when I do my lift. I've read some comments elsewhere on the forum about maybe some of you have spaced your motor up a little when doing the lift. I was thinking of doing a 1 to 1.5" spacer of some sort. I tried a search using "motor mounts" but only got the usual results for how to replace them - nothing about increasing the height of the motor above the frame.

Has anyone done this and what tips do you have for me? Thanks!

#2 ·
I think turnNburn and the user Lumpdog have both done it - It seemed like for every inch of rise, you need to angle it towards the centerline of the car so it is still in the right spot to mount to the engine - if that makes any sense.

Check out their builds and you'll find the pics of what they did.

#3 ·
I've been wanting to do this too. After installing poly mounts the oil pan is no longer resting on the front axle but it is still way to close for comfort.

https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 7#p1237193

Lumpdog said:
I used engine plates from Chassis Unlimited to build the motor mount spacers. Four of the plates and a 1" spacer in between them makes them 1.5" tall. Then offsest the mount plates 1.5" from eachother and when mounted on a 45 degree angle it lifts the motor 2.12". Then for the transmission mount I just used a piece of 2" box tube. Easy peasy.

http://www.chassisunlimited.com/product ... lates.html

I also extended the steering shaft 5" as well.

But the 5" drop and one inch move forward was easy. Rear is lifted with some s10 leafs, an add a leaf, a 1" block, and 2 longer ubolts and 4 1/2" bolts. It was easy too. I haven't done the shackles yet, but don't think I will need them. I think I have all of $100 into the whole lift plus my time.
It doesn't seem like that company is offering those plates anymore so I am looking into making them myself now. I have scrap 3/16" plate sitting here but those plates are 1/4" I think 3/16" will be fine but I'm not 100% sure.

#6 ·
Birdshake said:
I've been wanting to do this too. After installing poly mounts the oil pan is no longer resting on the front axle but it is still way to close for comfort.
I feel the same way about my 03, I have been considering putting some spacers in there if I ever have to pull the engine for anything. I would like to strap a camera down there sometime and run it hard, see how much movement I'm actually getting and if I should really worry about it.

#7 ·
I still wonder about these old vans,ones that have been used hard,on bumps,that the frame rails have started to roll downwards.Like perhaps that fellows down in South America,don't think we heard back from him? Only a good frame machine.measuring would tell.But,i did craw under mine,the 94 had new,aftermarket, mounts,back when i rebuit the motor,and they are starting to sag.My 96 are original,211,000,I think, and still look pretty good,good clearance.But I do not hammer it.

#8 ·
I'm not sure if the motor mounts are on an actual 45* angle - but just eyeballing it they seem close to 45*. And if that angle really is 45, then the trig works out to:
If you add a 1" spacer plate(s) the motor will be raised 1.4" and the hole pattern on either the motor or frame side of the spacer will need to shift 1".

If you add a 3/4" spacer plate(s) the motor will raise 1.06" and the hole pattern will need to shift 3/4".

#13 ·
Once I actually got my hands dirty and removed the old motor mounts I changed my mind on how to do the spacing. I realize that what I did may not work for other people - but for me it was "easiest" to modify the motor brackets. I made up a dirt simple spacing jig that had two holes spaced 1.5" apart and modified a couple of bolt shanks so they fit tight in the holes, then clamped on my extender pieces and used a 45* carpenters square to orient things and then welded it all up. I also replicated the weird little notches in the bracket arms that mate up with the weird little nubs on the new motor mounts.
001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

And then machined some simple 1.5" tall pucks for the transmission mount.
012.JPG

#14 ·
Sparkydog said:
I'm not sure if the motor mounts are on an actual 45* angle - but just eyeballing it they seem close to 45*. And if that angle really is 45, then the trig works out to:
If you add a 1" spacer plate(s) the motor will be raised 1.4" and the hole pattern on either the motor or frame side of the spacer will need to shift 1".

If you add a 3/4" spacer plate(s) the motor will raise 1.06" and the hole pattern will need to shift 3/4".
Once I had the brackets and mounts out of the van I confirmed with an angle gauge that the engine block and the subframe are at 45* angles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.