Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Quick Release Brackets for ARB Awnings

5K views 36 replies 13 participants last post by  WinnieVan 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I devised a set of ARB awning brackets that allow you to quickly and easily remove/install the awning on the OEM roof rack. I (used) to live in a place where stuff got stolen all the time, so I never felt comfortable leaving my ARB awning installed permanently. I've always wanted a set of "quick-release" brackets, but the ones from ARB just weren't sufficient.

Here's what they will look like --
ARB12.jpg

ARB13.jpg

Some annotations:
- The black "bar" in that picture is a placeholder for the Astro OEM Rack Sidebar.
- The green bracket attaches to the awning via the three small holes on the front face of the bracket
- The blue and red bracket are squeezed between the roof rack rail for a study fit.

The magic is the keyhole shapes in the red piece that allow you to mount and dismount the awning easily -- as shown in detail below:
ARB10.jpg

ARB8.JPG

ARB9.JPG

Each bracket kit will contain two sets of brackets.

I'm still iroining out the final details (including price), but I would like to set up a group-buy for these brackets if there is any interest. Pricing will largely depend on how much interest and economies of scale at the plasma table.

If you're interest in a set -- post here or PM me. I'll start a list and start getting things together.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well proof of concept and pictures of this in use were supposed to be happening right now -- and then Oregon caught on fire and I can't go outside.

Stay tuned... I'll get the proof-of-concept done and then I'll share the results -- althought it looks like this will likely be a one-off, given the low level of interest :)

:rofl:

#3 ·
Hey dude,great concept. Several things,most of us would not buy relabeled ARB stuff that is china,anyways.2nd,where I live and camp,flimsy awnings like this do not work.3rd, plastic knobs,instead of having to use a wrench would really be a selling point.OK,all,feel free to slam on me.Take care,winnie.

#4 ·
All valid comments MechBob -- I test drove the prototype I built and it worked great. I've made changes to the design and am getting them quoted by the local laser cutter.

I've decided to allow for the use of three brackets -- that way you can have two on the ends of the rack and one in the middle. I've slotted the mounting points to account for the curvature of the roof rack. This will allow for a very square installation, which will help make everything work as intended and make these truly easy to use.

I've also moved the mounting location of the awning up an 1/2" -- which should lead to a better resting position of the awning so it hangs just above the body for nice clean lines.

Pricing still TBD -- but I'm aiming for less than $100.

AwningAssembly2.JPG
AwningAssembly1.JPG
AwningAssembly3.JPG

I've received a few PM with interest -- so let me know if you're interested and I'll add you to the list. I'm aiming to make a set of 10 brackets -- 5 are already spoken for!

#5 ·
Nothing I need,Winnie, but your improvements are excellent,logical and on track.Awnings are just kinda rare here,except for newbies,because you have to babysit them,and take them down even if you just want to go jump in the lake for a bit.But the improvements,very good.Out here, people(usually snowbirds,here for the summer) have the awning tied down with many 40lb bags of sand.

#7 ·
I too have no need, but the ARB awnings are not flimsy, mine has survived 9 countries (Yes, there are stronger awnings, and maybe quality has gone down over the decade, mine is getting old). Also, I don't think many here would be opposed to needing to use a wrench vs plastic tabs, since we are carrying them anyway. Cool idea, also nice to store the awning in the garage and save MPG if you only use the awning a few times a year, but I admit onc eup there I forget it is even there.

Maybe try posting on expeditionportal, since that is dedicated to overlanding there are more ARB awning users across vehicle platforms, your design would probably work with a bunch of racks

#8 ·
That's a good idea Wiley -- Expo folks have deeper pockets than us astrosafarians.

Just need to finish painting my prototype and then I'll get some shots of it in action... it works awesome and I love how easy it is to remove/install.

It's also nice to be able to remove the awning so I can take my baby through the automatic carwash after a week on the trail... they wouldn't let me through with my previous awning. Liability or something.

#9 ·
MechBob said:
because you have to babysit them,and take them down even if you just want to go jump in the lake for a bit.
Hands down the worst part about owning an awning.

Of course the new ones that automatically retract if the wind picks up would be the bees knees, but $$$.

#36 ·
#14 ·
Just so everyone knows -- I've come up with pricing for the various brackets -- there are a couple options:

Two bracket systems:
2x slotted brackets = $75
2x non-slotted brackets = $60

3 bracket system:
2x slotted + 1x non-slotted = $100
3x slotted = $110

My hot take?
- In my experience the 2x bracket sytem is plenty -- but if you want extra ridgidity the three bracket system will add it.
- slotted brackets allow for more flexibility in mounting positions -- especially given the curvature of the rails
- non-slotted brackets work fine if your mounting position are symmetric (i.e. the front one and the rear bracket are similar distance to the center line of the roof rail) -- this is again due to the curvature of the roof rails.

At this point -- these are made-to-order -- so let me know what you are after!!

#20 ·
Stay tuned... I'm in talks to get these laser cut and formed according to a new design. If that's the case -- I think I'll have stock in about 3/4 weeks - but it really depends on how busy they are.

Final pricing if I do it this way is TBD -- but they will be close to the slotted prices of $75 for a set of 2x and $110 for a set of 3x.

#23 ·
Heard back from the fab shop -- and I have a set of 12X brackets on the way. Waiting on an ETA -- but I'd guess within the month.

This is the new design:
Capture2.JPG

Capture.JPG

I made the brackets smaller and only utilize a single awning mounting bolt/stud on each. The awning-side brackets are now formed as opposed to machined from rectangular tube steel. The same key-hole design will allow for easy removal/attachment of the awning via a single nut on each mount. All brackets are laser cut out of 3/16" steel -- these puppies aren't going anywhere once they're fastened to your rack.

Parts will be finished with black bedliner & include all hardware necessary for mounting. All hardware will be 18-8 Stainless -- besides the press-fit stud, which will be zinc-plated steel.

Pricing will be equivalent to hand-made slotted brackets:
2x Bracket kit = $75 + shipping
3x Bracket kit = $110 + shipping

I have a few leads as of now--but let me know if you are interested in these--as I may make more than 12x units for this batch if there is sufficient interest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.