Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

26' ultralight doesn't scare a 26yo Astro one bit ;)

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  TowVan 
#1 ·
She might be a bit old, but she's solid as gold!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Astros can be impressive tow vehicles.

I had to change rear wheel bearings after this, but otherwise it went just fine. Towed ~35 miles with the truck on the trailer. No leaf springs upgraded, but I think I pushed my old worn leafs over the edge. Haven't changed them yet.

#5 ·
Astros totally are impressive tow vehicles.

AstroJeep.jpg

I replaced the fan clutch with a Hayden severe duty clutch, the belt and tensioner and put load-leveling shocks on the rear before the tow. I didn't have to replace anything on the van after the tow, and I towed it 650 miles in one day.

The Jeep needed a new trans and was stuck nose in (had 2nd, but no reverse or other forward gears) in my best friend's garage. I had to winch it out and onto the trailer with a Harbor Freight portable winch. The Astro did the rest.

#6 ·
Back in '99 I was towing a 21' Airstream (single axle) with a 92 Astro... bone cold stock. (well, added trans cooler!) Did have a proper equalizer hitch. If I had spent the money on 3.73 gears, I would not have needed to change the transmission, but even at that the trans lasted MANY miles. (stock was 2.73)
Recently I was towing our 26' camper (sold as: hitch to bumper - 23' box) with my 99 Astro. Not as long as that one, but not an ultra lite either!
Astro / Safari's will tow a lot more than folks think. Other than needing a bit more engine, I like the chassis better than most 1/2 ton pickups I've had.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.