Door Roller Replacement?

Door Roller Replacement?

Postby WinnieVan [OP] » October 28th 2020, 8:45pm

My passenger-side door door roller bushing is wallowed out and needs to be replaced... I'm planning to do the door bushings too, but I imagine this door roller being destroyed isn't helping:

Here's the passenger side:
IMG_5836.jpg
IMG_5836.jpg (10.08 KiB) Viewed 237 times

Here's driver's side for comparison:
IMG_5839.jpg

It doesn't appear this part is available from GM or online for the Astro... closest I've found is Dorman 38433:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C ... UTF8&psc=1

Seems the pin is pushed in from the bottom and then "splayed" out to keep it in place.
IMG_5837.jpg

Assuming the diameter is similar, it appears the Dorman part could be basically a good fit, but might involve a bit of finagling if the e-clip is in the wrong place.

Anyone else ran into or solved this issue?
Original Poster [OP]
WinnieVan
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: WinnieVan has been a member for 3 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 3 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 62
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • LED Headlight Replacement-Safari
    by BobbyD » September 5th 2020, 10:08pm in Exterior
    6 Replies
    Last post by joeg View the latest post
    September 16th 2020, 10:02pm
  • Safari Driver door year compatibility
    by demersn » June 2nd 2020, 12:35am in Exterior
    5 Replies
    Last post by sixsix View the latest post
    June 7th 2020, 9:22pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    November 27th 2020, 9:32am

Re: Door Roller Replacement?

Postby WinnieVan [OP] » October 28th 2020, 9:06pm

Phew -- found a very knowledgable parts guy and he pulled some part numbers for me...

Appears this is a 3 piece unit -- one large pin that goes in from the bottom, a small pin that goes in from the top and a roller...

Large pin -- GM 14030534
door pin bottom.jpg

Small pin -- GM 20262500
door pin top.jpg
door pin top.jpg (2.69 KiB) Viewed 229 times

Door Check Link Roller -- GM 20058035
door pin roller.jpd.jpg

I'll pull the spring off and see if I can pull the upper pin and roller -- otherwise, might have sawzall it up and replace the whole assembly. Not gonna be cheap, these parts are spendy from GM direct.

So I'll check if Dorman part works... would be more cost effective but only if it doesn't require a ton of customization to work.
Original Poster [OP]
WinnieVan
Years of Membership: WinnieVan has been a member for 3 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 3 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 3 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » October 29th 2020, 4:01am

From the reviews:
Just what I needed. If you have a grinder and a Dremel these will fix a 1994 S10. They don't make these for my truck so I ground off the end to fit then used Dremel to cut e clip slot ended up being the perfect solution because the only thing I could find for a S10 was a whole hinge that bolts on and mine was welded so not happening. The key is to grind off just enough to fit in the holes and cut off about 1 inch. If you own the car they are for I'm sure they would be even better. Even though I don't I'm still very happy because my truck is fixed and was very affordable to do compared to having a shop reweld the whole hinge back on.

I would be willing to bet it's going to be pretty simple modification like for the S-10. Would be awesome if it works out!

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore them & go about your business.
What has two thumbs and is living in your head rent-free? We hereby claim that it's this guy! Image
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby WinnieVan [OP] » October 29th 2020, 5:12am

I was able to pop off the small pin and the door roller without disrupting the large pin -- so I canceled my Dorman part order!

Wasn't too bad -- about $17 out the door at my local Chevrolet dealer -- more than I wanted to spend, but easy peasy to replace.
Original Poster [OP]
WinnieVan
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » October 29th 2020, 2:10pm

Awesome! That is a LOT less work.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore them & go about your business.
What has two thumbs and is living in your head rent-free? We hereby claim that it's this guy! Image
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby markmitch » October 29th 2020, 3:44pm

Great ! thanks for posting that, I may just order the parts to have in my "Just is case Box"
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 615
Alias (AKA): AstroMark or 1st gen
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8

Postby WinnieVan [OP] » November 3rd 2020, 12:10pm

Yeah no worries -- I think it is a rare failure -- but the 3rd parts guy I called knew exactly what I was looking for -- the other 2 were like -- yah that isn't listed.

Waiting on some time and door pins to fix the door for good! I'll add some photos of here once it's done.

In the meantime, if anyone else is facing this -- the roller came off with just finger pressure since it was so fuxxor'd. I got the small "bullet-shaped" pin out by putting a dull chisel on the head of the pin and punching upwards... be careful -- you don't want to shear off the head because then you won't be able to hit it. Lots of PB blaster helped too--- I imagine heating the lower pin would make it easier too -- but everything is painted, so you'd probably end up burning off the paint.

Worst case scenario -- you could easily cut the pin in half and then drive it out -- the large pin actually installs from the top and is then staked into place. I imagine if you cut it in half -- you could easily remove the bottom half of the large pin and then hammer upward on the top half to drive it out.
Original Poster [OP]
WinnieVan
Alias (AKA):