Ford 8.8 Eaton eLocker build and install

Re: Ford 8.8 Eaton eLocker build and install

Postby TowVan » August 29th 2020, 3:16am

Awesome work sir!
I've managed to avoid any differential work so far, but thanks for the conformation of the GM/8.8 similarities!
98 AWD Astro 2018 -
99 RWD LS Astro 2016 -
89 Short RWD Astro 1998 - 1999
92 RWD Astro 95 - 98 99 - 2001
92 Short RWD Safari 97 - 98
92 RWD Safari (Dad's) 92 - 97
86 RWD Astro (Dad's) 86 - 92
TowVan
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: TowVan has been a member for 3 full yearsTowVan has been a member for 3 full yearsTowVan has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA): Dan
Van Model Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RWD Beefed to tow

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Little gas turning left and a pop
    by jmderyke » December 26th 2020, 6:41pm in Rear-End
    24 Replies
    Last post by ptysiek View the latest post
    December 30th 2020, 11:06am
  • Groaning New Summit LS Differential and Ring & Pinion
    by Safarimeister » December 26th 2020, 8:35pm in Rear-End
    17 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    January 17th 2021, 2:00am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    January 25th 2021, 6:24pm

Postby dit [OP] » August 29th 2020, 2:16pm

I realized that I posted this previously elsewhere. This is some information that might be useful. Probably should be up top but I don't know how to put it there!

Years ago when I put the 4.10 gears in my van, I wanted to also install a selectable locker. Of course there wasn't one available for our 7.5" rear ends and still isn't. Living in snow country I really didn't want an auto locker so I opted for a TruTrac.

Well let's just say that the TruTrac while good, it really doesn't help much in corner to corner unweighting that is so common off road. Now that I have a bad axle, wheel bearing and leaky seal I'm reconsidering a selectable locker in a Ford 8.8. There is a lot of talk here about Ford 9" which are rather obsolete. The 8.8's are very common and used under a wide variety of vehicles. In researching both on the web and at my local salvage yard I have discovered that most 8.8's, like our diffs, have a passenger side offset.

About 8.8s

The diff I'm looking at is from an f150 4x4. It has a WMS (wheel mount surface) width of 65" compared to an Astro 66.25. Drivers side from center 33.5 (Astro 35.25), Passenger from center 31.5 (Astro 31), spring perch 45 (astro 50).

Axle tube centerline to u-joint ~12" (same as Astro)

My thoughts are to mount the rearend .25 to .5" left. This will make the passenger side correct or .25 long. On the drivers side install a 1.25" wheel adapter. A little Frankenstein I know, but super simple. I know off road guys run the spacer/adapters regularly with no issue so I'm not worried about that.

The only real fabrication will be spring perches, shock mounts and turning (on a lathe) the passenger axle hub to fit the GM center bore and re-drilling the same axle (and drum) for the 5 on 5" lugs (the drivers side lug pattern will be corrected by the adapter/spacer.

Then install 4.10s on an Eaton eLocker.

BTW, I also measured up Explorers (way to narrow) and a 1/2 ton Econoline 8.8: ~68.5 wide (36.5 x 32). The wheels were on so don't quote me on that measurement. So with a lot of fabrication and after market axles that rearend would work; or go with a 2.25" wider stance.
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c, 4.10s torsen, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion, rock sliders, skid plate, ARB fridge,100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710
Original Poster [OP]
dit
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: dit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 8
Alias (AKA): photovan
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: awd 4 inch lift

Postby sixsixsixsix is online! » August 31st 2020, 11:01pm

Nice work- gotta' want that real bad... Cool.
Man after MY own heart.

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... Anyone that condones the actions of the American People during the Storming of the Capitol are as complicit as the Assholes themselves.
But no way does this let the Democrats or the MSM off the Hook.

sixsixsixsix is online!
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby dit [OP] » September 2nd 2020, 2:05pm

sixsix wrote:Nice work- gotta' want that real bad... Cool.
Man after MY own heart.

Ya the fun is in the fabrication! But beyond that. From my experience, the difference between a locked and open differential is about the same as that between 2wd and 4wd; less getting out to stack rocks, less tearing up the trails. I hope this works out should I ever receive delivery of the locker.
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c, 4.10s torsen, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion, rock sliders, skid plate, ARB fridge,100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710
Original Poster [OP]
dit
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: dit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 8
Alias (AKA): photovan
Extra Info: awd 4 inch lift

Postby SainT » November 2nd 2020, 7:29am

I also wanted thicker axle with reliable lockers on second hand market
So I bought 4.11 nissan patrol y61 rear axle with LSD 233mm(9.17) for 100$ -they have plenty of cheap oem lockers and ratios and have 6x139.7 (5.5) lugs +disk brakes
The main reason to choose this axle - wheel bearings are bolted by nut to half shafts -if I break shaft -the wheel won't go outside
SainT
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: SainT has been a member for 5 full yearsSainT has been a member for 5 full yearsSainT has been a member for 5 full yearsSainT has been a member for 5 full yearsSainT has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1996
Extra Info: AWD 30x9.5 R15

Postby WERDI Recreation » January 19th 2021, 11:55pm

dit wrote:Years ago when I put the 4.10 gears in my van, I wanted to also install a selectable locker. Of course there wasn't one available for our 7.5" rear ends and still isn't. Living in snow country I really didn't want an auto locker so I opted for a TruTrac.

If I follow you correctly the ARB company makes an air locker for the 7.5 rear end on gm's. S10, Astro Safari, Blazer...

Unless the "selectable" actually refers to electric locker.
ARB RD148 is the part #

J.
1998 Chevy Astro AWD
2000 GMC Safari AWD
WERDI Recreation
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: WERDI Recreation has been a member for 4 full yearsWERDI Recreation has been a member for 4 full yearsWERDI Recreation has been a member for 4 full yearsWERDI Recreation has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: AWD adv vehicle

Postby Sparkydog » January 20th 2021, 12:28am

Other potential Ford 8.8 donors with posi are Aerostars and Mustang V8's. Both of these axles do not have perches for leaf springs but since you need to relo the perches anyway...

The Aerostar 8.8 axles were attached to a 3-link so the pumpkin has a weird "horn" off to one side. But easy to cut off. Almost nobody in a wrecking yard is wandering in the Aerostar section looking to raid them for 8.8 posi's (except me).
Sparkydog
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: Sparkydog has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 12
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD

Postby CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online! » January 20th 2021, 12:30am

Most Aerostars are LONG GONE
Pullin The Pass
CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online!
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: CopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 25
Alias (AKA): B
Extra Info: LS Swap

Postby AstroWill » January 20th 2021, 12:41am

WERDI Recreation wrote:
dit wrote:Years ago when I put the 4.10 gears in my van, I wanted to also install a selectable locker. Of course there wasn't one available for our 7.5" rear ends and still isn't. Living in snow country I really didn't want an auto locker so I opted for a TruTrac.

If I follow you correctly the ARB company makes an air locker for the 7.5 rear end on gm's. S10, Astro Safari, Blazer...

ARB RD148 is the part #

J.

From my understanding the ARB RD148 is for the 7.625 IFS front differential, carrier would be different and so it would not fit.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business.
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby WERDI Recreation » January 20th 2021, 2:49am

AstroWill wrote:
WERDI Recreation wrote:

ARB RD148 is the part #

J.

From my understanding the ARB RD148 is for the 7.625 IFS front differential, carrier would be different and so it would not fit.

AstroWill thank you for that. I am glad you pointed that out. :think:
1998 Chevy Astro AWD
2000 GMC Safari AWD
WERDI Recreation
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: WERDI Recreation has been a member for 4 full yearsWERDI Recreation has been a member for 4 full yearsWERDI Recreation has been a member for 4 full yearsWERDI Recreation has been a member for 4 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby WERDI Recreation » January 20th 2021, 2:57am

AstroWill wrote:
WERDI Recreation wrote:

ARB RD148 is the part #

J.

https://www.drivetrainshop.com/ARB_Air_Locker_p/arb-rd148.htm ARB RD148 Compatibility
Just click on compatibility and it reveals the possible applications
1998 Chevy Astro AWD
2000 GMC Safari AWD
WERDI Recreation
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » January 20th 2021, 3:18am

Call ARB directly, I'm sure they will easily clarify it. I rarely trust 3rd party parts compatibility charts.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business.
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Previous