Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

New Radio, No Regrets.

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Psyckosama 
#1 ·
I was getting very tired of the terrible old Delco tape deck in my ride. I like to listen to music when I drive and frankly, the cassette to audio jack adapter I've been using is both twitch and sounds like utter trash. Decided to make a step up and bought this.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_070XDM270 ... DM270.html

It also included a full adapter kit with cables and mounting bracket for about 15 bucks more.

New sound system for about 40 bucks. 50 with the crimp tool and crimps. Well worth it and sounds good. Makes me happy. Just feeling pleased and wanted to bring it up somewhere. :)

#3 ·
I agree, the tape deck is obsolete and the adaptors never work right. I can't go too flashy in mine because they'll smash and grab so I'm living with a stock radio, they've done it once before to me.

-Andrew

#4 ·
icebrrg3rd said:
I agree, the tape deck is obsolete and the adaptors never work right. I can't go too flashy in mine because they'll smash and grab so I'm living with a stock radio, they've done it once before to me.

-Andrew
Well, on this one the face plate is removable at least...

You ever consider hooking it up in your glove compartment?

#5 ·
That's why I have an adapter box that plugs into the back of the cassette radio. But they don't make that one any more...so when this one bites it, I'll put in a CarPlay double-din radio.

#7 ·
Good luck.Getting older,ear/sound issues,so quality is less important.I will say,most my life,the radio portion of a unit has been more important to me.As a general rule,all factory car radios have better am/fm than aftermarket,but then that is where they fail---poor cd and tape.Over the years,I still find no am/fm better(aftermarket) than Pioneer Supertuners.I currently have 3,camper,camper truck,and winter van.Summer van still has old (1996) gm am/fm cd,surprisingly,still works well.I do remember,years ago,some models of RadioShack Clarion built some very high quality units,but under 100 dollars.OK best of luck.

#10 ·
MechBob said:
Good luck.Getting older,ear/sound issues,so quality is less important.I will say,most my life,the radio portion of a unit has been more important to me.As a general rule,all factory car radios have better am/fm than aftermarket,but then that is where they fail---poor cd and tape.Over the years,I still find no am/fm better(aftermarket) than Pioneer Supertuners.I currently have 3,camper,camper truck,and winter van.Summer van still has old (1996) gm am/fm cd,surprisingly,still works well.I do remember,years ago,some models of RadioShack Clarion built some very high quality units,but under 100 dollars.OK best of luck.
Heh. I don't really care about AM/FM to be honest. I find that I consider most popular music is soulless garbage and AM is largely talk so it doesn't matter. ;)

But there's a reason I'm not chucking the old Delco.

#11 ·
MechBob said:
As a general rule,all factory car radios have better am/fm than aftermarket...
I have also found this to be true. But for many in strong signal areas, it may not matter.
I have also found the stock units to work well, receive well, sound good, look good, easy to operate knobs. The knobs are a BIG deal for me.. I hate pushing buttons and scrolling though menus.

I do MOSTLY listen to radio, along with AM talk radio too (when I'm on the road alot)
Nothing beats the stock AM radio (if you listen)

But lately I stream music from my inexpensive Nulaxy bluetooth device, and the sound is surprisingly and amazingly fantastic through the stock stereo! (of course it depends on streaming source). In fact, with the right source, I've found my streams sounds better than FM, and have CD quality dynamic sound. The stock speakers (lows with separate tweeter) in the doors do quite well at normal listening levels... it's a great solution for me.

Understand I used to do pro-sound back in my day.
(if I were playing at higher levels, then it might be different)
I run Alpine CD aftermarket in my 92 (with external amp).. and I rarely ever even turn it on.. lol
But my 2000 stock radio is ALWAYS on!

I never really considered the theft issue (for keeping it stock) .. I guess it may depend on where you live and play.

Stock works for me. But the price of new electronics these days sure makes it tempting!
I've considered aftermarket.. but it would have to have USB, blue-tooth.. and knobs! lol

#12 ·
MechBob said:
LOL Will! Hope you are well
LOL, hope you didn't think that was my tattoo ;)
I'm doing great! Joining my neighbors in hanging our USA flags out again, been in storage for 4yrs.

Mmusicman said:
I've considered aftermarket.. but it would have to have USB, blue-tooth.. and knobs! lol
I hear that about knobs, I had one that didn't even have a volume knob, drove me crazy! I have to have a knob for volume at the very least.

Of course if it has an aux input and a USB port for power, it's only $7 add-on for bluetooth.

#14 ·
Psyckosama said:
icebrrg3rd said:

-Andrew
Well, on this one the face plate is removable at least...

You ever consider hooking it up in your glove compartment?
They smashed the driver side window and took a POS aftermarket radio, but left all my tools and other stuff. The window cost more to replace than the radio was worth.

As for tunes, I made a mod. Wired in an Aux In port, works great. Have a cheap bluetooth receiver and can listen to whatever is on my phone. Don't remember what I paid for the port, got a pack of 10 for maybe $10, receiver was also around $10. I do need better speakers tho, nothing fancy, mine are kinda bad.

2020-11-09_RadioAuxIn.jpg

Down the road I want to stick in a double din touchscreen with Android Auto, but other things are in line before that'll happen.

-Andrew

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.