Rambling man van build.

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

Re: Rambling man van build.

Postby copperhead [OP] » October 6th 2020, 11:05am

AstroWill wrote:Are the slides angled down a little in the back so they stay closed or self close?

No, although that would have been my preference. With the limited space and size of the bins I bought, I literally didn't have even a 1/4 in. to spare to still allow for the covers to come on and off. If I didn't use the covers, I probably would have been able to do so. I'll try magnets to keep them closed or if that doesn't work, latches.
Original Poster [OP]
copperhead
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA): Ron
Van Model Year: 2005
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • And so it begins, my van build
    by mglsite » October 17th 2020, 11:02pm in Projects/Builds
    3 Replies
    Last post by mglsite View the latest post
    October 18th 2020, 12:36am
  • 2001 Chevy Cargo Camper Build
    by rstro » June 4th 2020, 2:59pm in Projects/Builds
    6 Replies
    Last post by augidog View the latest post
    June 8th 2020, 3:43am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    November 28th 2020, 11:17pm

Postby copperhead [OP] » October 18th 2020, 1:43am

Back with a minor update. Been spending the past few days refining some stuff and organizing wires and such, Got the drawer fronts done, but forgot to take a picture..will do for a later post. Only major addition is the propane stove. I figure some will start freaking out about the setup, but I've got more to do with installing a fan, plenum and vent work. I'm not going to do anything that I feel won't be safe, so if you don't like it, too bad. :mrgreen:

Went round and round with this. Set 2 stoves back, debated a recessed one, and then settled with this setup for now anyway. If I feel I need to remove the upper shelf I will, but I'm not planning on boiling a pot of lobsters, so I think I've got plenty of clearance for a frying pan and small pot. Added some feet to the stove and thru bolted it into the counter with wingnuts to hold it.

IMG_2637.JPG

IMG_2639.JPG

Going to hold off on the diesel heater for now, but next is a water heating element to warm up my sink and aux water line. This is interesting...bought another 100 ah battery for more storage. Was delivered yesterday. Had an issue with it(slight bulging on the sides). Not sure if its a problem or not. battery voltage reads fine. I ***** about to Amazon and they offered me to either...return for a refund, take a 30% refund of the price or receive a replacement. I said I wanted a replacement and asked if they'd take the other one when they dropped the new off, cuz I'm not paying to ship the thing back. She said no, they will not take it back and I'm free to do what I want with it.. :shrug: I'll find room for it somewhere.

And to stay with today's theme..going waaaaay back
Original Poster [OP]
copperhead
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)

Postby copperhead [OP] » November 21st 2020, 2:40am

Dang..who am I and what am I doing here? some of you old farts might get that.. Finally back to posting some updates I've done. Got lost in life for a few weeks there. More changes and rabbit holes. Moved my stove to a different place and to free up counter space.
IMG_2760.JPG
IMG_2764.JPG
IMG_2768.JPG

Wrestling with the window treatments. Not looking for total blackout just some privacy. Ended up with mini blinds on the drivers side, rear fixed is same as operational window, just didn't take a picture. Still need to address the rear and slider window. Wooden side pieces I soaked and bent to force the blind to contour somewhat with the glass. Blinds tuck up and out of sight behind the wood valance I ran along that side. Spent way to much time and not really satisfied with the end result, but need to move on.
IMG_2746.JPG

IMG_2752.JPG

IMG_2751.JPG

Never have put back the front console since I first removed it to do a tune up....and don't intend to. Weighing the little benefit it provides against the room it eats up, it's gone. Was planning on getting a regular cooler to compliment my fridge, so I'll rig that into a moveable center console and still have easy rear access. Built a quick "cover" for the lower part of the dash and will probably cover the doghouse with carpeting, or make up a wood panel that hugs it close up.

IMG_2754.JPG

That's all I got, unless you want to know about my MRI... :roll: Apologies again for dropping the ball. As I said ..

Original Poster [OP]
copperhead
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)

Postby sixsix » November 22nd 2020, 4:28pm

yeah, well... I am especially taken w/ Whammer Jammer

J. Geils Band @ Holy Cross, Nov.1972, if you can take it, turn it all the way up.
This 'best live' band will wear you out - and I was not even there. Like the Bowie 'Serious Moonlight' TV special, best I ever saw, live or not...
( and we went to The Who and Zeppelin shows here in Cinti )
Wolf singing, Magic Dick on harp, Seth ( their writer ) on keys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq79uJ58eAM

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “May be hard to believe... President Trump should rest easy and concede what was in fact a foregone conclusion: Another OLD MAN won with only about 50% of the Change Believers/Fools showing up."

sixsix
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Previous