Relocate windshield spray nozzle to hood

Relocate windshield spray nozzle to hood

Postby kevinfin [OP] » November 24th 2020, 10:21pm

Hello folks - I'm looking to relate my windshield sprayer nozzle to my hood (from the windshield blade) on my 1990 Astro. Just wondering if anyone has done this and any lessons learned --namely, I wanted to see if there was any issues related to the stock windshield wiper fluid pump getting the fluid through the nozzle at a decent flow coming from the hood. I suspect it probably doesn't take much pump force to run through the windshield blade in the stock setup.

As to why I want to do this...I drive a lot in snowy/blizzard like conditions up high mountain passes. The stock set-up (fluid through the wipers) doesn't do a good job (I've replaced multiple times with original and aftermarket versions of the blades). So, I want to give this a try. I thought about putting in a second tank and standalone set-up, keeping the original in place, but I literally have no room (converted to V-8) for another tank/pump unless I keep it inside the van/camper.

Any thoughts welcome....
Attachments
IMG_6407.JPG
1990 Provan Tiger XL, built on 1990 Astro; complete rebuild including:
- Engine 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 b code L33 5.3 engine and trans 4x4
- Rear and front axle swap
- frame rebuild
- other $$$
Original Poster [OP]
kevinfin
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: kevinfin has been a member for 6 full yearskevinfin has been a member for 6 full yearskevinfin has been a member for 6 full yearskevinfin has been a member for 6 full yearskevinfin has been a member for 6 full yearskevinfin has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA): kevinfin
Van Model Year: 1990
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Tiger Provan XL

Re: Relocate windshield spray nozzle to hood

Postby AstroWill » November 25th 2020, 12:42am

I have thought about doing this as well, keeps the hoses from bending and being exposed.

I would keep the stock tank, can always upgrade the pump if needed. I don't think it will be an issue and it's only $10 for a set of nozzles to try out before you make any modifications.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business.
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby kevinfin [OP] » November 25th 2020, 12:50am

Thanks AstroWill. I will let y'all know once I go through with the conversion. I'll probably replace the pump as well while I'm at it since its 30yrs old...
- frame rebuild
- other $$$
Original Poster [OP]
kevinfin
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: kevinfin has been a member for 6 full yearskevinfin has been a member for 6 full yearskevinfin has been a member for 6 full yearskevinfin has been a member for 6 full yearskevinfin has been a member for 6 full yearskevinfin has been a member for 6 full years

Postby SportsBoy » November 25th 2020, 3:03am

I'd be interested in seeing how you'd do it - I think the stock wiper fluid setups (front and rear) blow.
SportsBoy
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: SportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 23
Alias (AKA): Blake
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » November 25th 2020, 3:10am

Order nozzles to a chevelle. They screw to the underside of the hood. Bend to adjust. You wont need a different pump it would work fine,.
chevymaherchevymaher is online!
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby kevinfin [OP] » November 25th 2020, 6:04am

Thanks for the tip. Will send a follow up to this thread later in December when I knock it out.
- frame rebuild
- other $$$
Original Poster [OP]
kevinfin
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)

Postby AstroOafAdventurer » November 25th 2020, 3:06pm

Yes, I've been curious about this myself!
I hate the current setup, hood nozzles would be awesome, keep this updated!
97 Astro Conversion Van 62k 64k miles
AstroOafAdventurer
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA): Thorsteenster
Extra Info: RWD Conversion Van

Postby markmitch » November 25th 2020, 4:44pm

I have a set of the small bump type hood nozzles and was going to do the same thing but never got to it. I got them from ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/i/124287658209?chn ... PMQAvD_BwE
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 624
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD

Postby MechBob » November 25th 2020, 5:19pm

Ah,thanks for reminding me,I have 1 broken off the wiper,hanging by the hose.Got a jar of the aftermarket ones in the basement,will replace it today.I really have never had much issue with the astro's washers/wipers, except--poor washer, and wiping,above 75 mph,also poor in crosswinds.All normal.The cheap china aftermarket jets usually have 3 openings,instead of 1,and throw lots more solvent on the glass.Wiper blades are simple, you get what you pay for.However,in cold weather,the biggest issue I have seen is trying to get enough heat on the glass,to keep ice from forming,at highway speeds.Not much you can do for this.On my snow plow truck,I installed a washer heater system,as sometimes I have to plow in very cold,and blowing snow.It is awesome.But,it is not one of the cheap smaller units,like "hot shot" you see on the bay,is much larger,made for large cold weather trucks,tractor trailers.I doubt would be easy to find room under hood of Astro to mount,and it uses lots of amps,so I had to put it on a toggle switch.However,cars and trucks have been using heated washer jets for many years,you always can find used ones on the bay.Also,big thing,you have overhang above your windshield.Anything up there,camper,sun guard,etc, affects the airflow over the glass,affecting your wipers and washers.
MechBob
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: MechBob has been a member for 2 full yearsMechBob has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): Bob
Extra Info: 4x4

Postby kevinfin [OP] » November 26th 2020, 6:00pm

Thanks MechBob. Never knew there was such a thing as a washer heater system. May check into one of those if relocating the nozzle doesn't work. I did see this on The Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/MPC-Heats-Windsh ... merReviews

Good call on placement of nozzles. My plan was to apply non-adhesive survey tape to the hood and drive down the road at various speeds to get a sense of air flow. Between the camper shell and hood scoop I have all sorts of variables...

For those interested, here are the two nozzles I'll be trying:

BANG4BUCK 2Pcs 10mm Car Front Windshield Wiper Washer Sprayer Nozzle Replacement For Chevy GMC Cmary Toyota Corolla
$5.49
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C4 ... UTF8&psc=1

Hypersonic Universal Car Windshield Washer Sprayer 2Pcs Vehicle Nozzle
$10.99
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MB ... UTF8&psc=1
- frame rebuild
- other $$$
Original Poster [OP]
kevinfin
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)

Postby markmitch » November 26th 2020, 7:05pm

markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 624
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD

Postby AstroOafAdventurer » November 27th 2020, 12:21am

Those are nice, I saved em in my cart for another day.

Thing I don't like about my current washer fluid delivery system, such a delay between starting the wash, and it actually starting. Seems I maybe need a check valve or replace said valve.
Maybe it's just the way arm mounted washers work, trying to think but don't recall having such in previous vehicles.
97 Astro Conversion Van 62k 64k miles
AstroOafAdventurer
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA): Thorsteenster
Extra Info: RWD Conversion Van

Postby MechBob » November 27th 2020, 1:18am

AstroOafAdventurer wrote:Those are nice, I saved em in my cart for another day.

Thing I don't like about my current washer fluid delivery system, such a delay between starting the wash, and it actually starting. Seems I maybe need a check valve or replace said valve.
Maybe it's just the way arm mounted washers work, trying to think but don't recall having such in previous vehicles.

LOL,There is a check valve,yours must have been bad a long time!
MechBob
Years of Membership: MechBob has been a member for 2 full yearsMechBob has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): Bob
Extra Info: 4x4