What have you done to/with your van today?

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

Re: What have you done to/with your van today?

Postby chevymaher » November 23rd 2020, 12:29pm

MechBob wrote:"Late Gen One' I would like someone to explain that to me,being just an old mechanic. I have only worked on these since they came out..

LOL they just making crap up out the side of the neck lately. Started with the gen 3 we saw the brake lights.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • No Start, Here's What I've Done
    by zippy » January 16th 2021, 7:46am in Engines
    22 Replies
    Last post by zippy View the latest post
    January 19th 2021, 9:25pm
  • roof rack I got today
    by markmitch » October 31st 2020, 2:07am in Exterior
    13 Replies
    Last post by CarpeDiem View the latest post
    December 16th 2020, 8:18am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    January 28th 2021, 3:07pm

Postby Big_kid » November 23rd 2020, 1:20pm

Yesterday I checked under the hood and wasn't surprised. Antifreeze: Low (I knew it would be, the van hasn't maintained it since I got it- either engine), Oil: low. I also found I don't have an 5W30 on hand, so I didn't start it up. I did top off the radiator and the heater core with Prestone and water. During the engine swap I added a flush tee to one of the heater hoses, and can make that the highest point. I'll try to remember to pick up some oil today and see how the heat works, it's only been good once- when I spun the bearing. Too bad that was in the middle of summer.
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby sixsix » November 23rd 2020, 6:31pm

MechBob wrote:"Late Gen One' I would like someone to explain that to me,being just an old mechanic. I have only worked on these since they came out..

I always think of the '94 / '95 thing / the half changeover / materials went south / you being funny / LOL

this ---> the other day, I joked about something being old, "it's got Ben Franklin's initials on the bottom...".
... He said, "who, yeah, what?"

Jeannie said my eyes glazed over before I just wandered off...

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... Anyone that condones the actions of the American People during the Storming of the Capitol are as complicit as the Assholes themselves.
But no way does this let the Democrats or the MSM off the Hook.

sixsix
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby Mmusicman » November 24th 2020, 1:20pm

Good weather for the holiday. :D
Unfortunately I have nothing planned, nothing to do.
Vans are both good.. need nothing.
A lot of my friends are going to Daytona for the 47th Annual Turkey Rod Run.
Wife has to work Friday.. so that kills any travel plans.
Maybe time to start working on the the classic car again...

Weather Forecast Turkey Day 2.jpg

DSC_8831-DeeCutlass.jpg

Daytona2.jpg
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby dcsleeper » November 24th 2020, 2:09pm

It's always a good day to Oldsmobile :thumbup:
Please update your User Control Panel to include your location!!! it's in the upper right!
Profile | Edit signature

ChevyMaher wrote:If you don't want people saying you suck, which is the truth, stop sucking
dcsleeper
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 19
Alias (AKA): DC
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: I have 2 1AWD 1RWD

Postby sixsix » November 24th 2020, 5:28pm

And those good looking "Lifetime Seat Covers" are Perfect.
Thanks Music.

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... Anyone that condones the actions of the American People during the Storming of the Capitol are as complicit as the Assholes themselves.

sixsix
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years

Postby icebrrg3rd » November 24th 2020, 6:09pm

Finally did those wires. It's not as cool as mmusicman's engine pics but hey, it's what I gots. Now if I touch the wires and a piece of metal at the same time I don't get all tingly. This isn't the finished pic, I went thru and removed all the stock wire mounting trees, as these wires were thicker and didn't fit in them. I picked up some clips to hold the wires neatly, I think it looks good.

2020-11-20_NewWires.jpg

One good thing that I did was when the dash was off, I could re-attach the heater control hoses so they weren't dangling down. Now they're not in the way when I put the doghouse back together. Sorry, didn't take an "after" pic.

2020-11-08_HeaterLines.jpg

I also picked up a used tire that is the same as my "new" ones so I now have a matching spare. Only thing it was an older tire (made early 2015 vs late 2018 for the other 4), but it is a spare. And anyways, when these wear out I'll probably go with a thicker sidewall, not a fan of the 55 series, would like at least a 60 and go from a 215 to a 225 width, so I'd be buying a new spare to have matching diameters. No pic, looks just like my other ones.

-Andrew
81 Yamaha Maxim 650XJ 650cc 68k mi
91 Chevy Astro 5L 5-speed, Ford 9" 265k mi
02 Yamaha Road Star 1600cc 27k mi
02 Chrysler Sebring Conv. 2.7L 5-speed 216k mi
10 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8L 194k mi

To her it's all dollars and no sense--Wimpazz
icebrrg3rd
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: icebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 50
Alias (AKA): Andrew
Van Model Year: 1991
Extra Info: V-8 5-sp RWD Shorty

Postby sixsix » November 24th 2020, 9:15pm

Oh, Andy, That Looks like Serious Business!!
Music who... ? :bow:

I have wondered about that mess of vacuum stuff always hanging down...
- got me one time, putting the cover back on, caught one...
- chased vacuum/selection probs for a bit... for nothing.

Disappeared when I took the cover off & back on for Distr. work.
Must have paid more attention holding stuff up and running the top Screws back in.

sixsix

Postby AstroWill » November 25th 2020, 12:49am

icebrrg3rd wrote:Finally did those wires. It's not as cool as mmusicman's engine pics but hey, it's what I gots. Now if I touch the wires and a piece of metal at the same time I don't get all tingly. This isn't the finished pic, I went thru and removed all the stock wire mounting trees, as these wires were thicker and didn't fit in them. I picked up some clips to hold the wires neatly, I think it looks good.

Definitely looks good! Proper amount of ignition wires there, love it! :thumbup:

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business.
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby Mmusicman » November 25th 2020, 3:52am

I'd say those wires are looking pretty impressive!
Nice attention to detail! :D
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years

Postby icebrrg3rd » November 26th 2020, 3:24pm

So driving home yesterday after picking up my daughter from school, I had to do a quick stop due to traffic abruptly stopping. An idiot decided to turn into a parking lot from the center lane, and couldn't pull in due to another idiot waiting to pull out sitting in the center of the enter/exit lane, causing both lanes to be blocked. Luckily it was lower speed (~30 mph) but my pedal went to the floor and the brake light went on. I had enough pressure to stop, and just limped slowly the last few blocks home (off the main street). The little reservoir was empty, which I assume is for the rear brakes. It was raining pretty good so I didn't look at where it could be leaking, but I'm guessing probably over the fuel tank.

Now I'm thinking of using that cupronickel brake line to replace it, I see it online for a range of prices. Anyone have any recommendations for brand, size, etc? I'll probably leave the original line and just run new stuff. Also, what type of flare is it? 45 or 37 degree, single or double? I'll probably do the fronts too, as they seem to be rusty too. I'll also be bypassing the ABS, as it's already not in use (no tone rings on the 9" rear end), and pull the ABS unit out of the van.

Oh, and thanks to all for the comments on the plug wires.

-Andrew

icebrrg3rd
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: icebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full years

Postby Leeann_93 » November 26th 2020, 5:03pm

This is the flaring tool I bought and my husband used on every brake line on the '02 - and they are double flare:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000L7QZ0Q/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Chevrolet%7C47&Model=Astro%7C415&Year=2005%7C2005&ie=UTF8&vehicleId=8&vehicleType=automotive

My next coil of tubing will be this (I bought a coil that I needed that day at NAPA and it's not as easy to work as the copper/nickel stuff):

3/16:
https://www.amazon.com/Brake-Line-Universal-Size-Copper-Nickel/dp/B07BMZ5FV2/ref=sxin_10?ascsubtag=amzn1.osa.abaf23f2-71c7-442d-a4f7-f70a12c722ac.ATVPDKIKX0DER.en_US&creativeASIN=B07BMZ5FV2&cv_ct_cx=brake+line+flaring+tool&cv_ct_id=amzn1.osa.abaf23f2-71c7-442d-a4f7-f70a12c722ac.ATVPDKIKX0DER.en_US&cv_ct_pg=search&cv_ct_we=asin&cv_ct_wn=osp-single-source-gl-ranking&dchild=1&keywords=brake+line+flaring+tool&linkCode=oas&pd_rd_i=B07BMZ5FV2&pd_rd_r=946e958e-09aa-435a-9ad5-7ac66d3ef950&pd_rd_w=VGQIa&pd_rd_wg=NoPTJ&pf_rd_p=f78282ee-db56-4d41-99a2-17abf93837bc&pf_rd_r=HENPHYFVDVM4J1H8D4MV&qid=1606406303&sr=1-1-d9dc7690-f7e1-44eb-ad06-aebbef559a37&tag=thedrive09-20

¼":
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BN2W29H/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07BN2W29H&pd_rd_w=wAumH&pf_rd_p=f0355a48-7e73-489a-9590-564e12837b93&pd_rd_wg=Kzfkt&pf_rd_r=XZGP77ET1JX5QAZVVJTF&pd_rd_r=f935970b-f560-4279-8a94-f692fdf7ff81&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExUFY1OFRBRE9NMTc5JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzA0NDgzMjZERlRWTUtQQVRXNiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNDM1NDA5MlJJMlA2QzJZU05HRCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbF90aGVtYXRpYyZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

If you are removing the ABS pump, you won't need the ½"-20 flare nuts, as they only go to the ABS pump. You'll only need the 7/16"-24 flare nuts.

Oh - and yeah, the most common spot is above the gas tank. I didn't have to drop the tank to replace that line, thank god. Posts about that line start just under halfway down this page:
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... &start=160

And then the rest of the lines from here on:
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... &start=260

You might not need them for the copper/nickel stuff, but I bought a pair of these and they work really well at bending the tubing without flattening it (though I got mine from Eastwood):
https://www.amazon.com/Brake-Fuel-Line-Bending-Pliers/dp/B01FOKIQXS/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1BXK8REHAU6ZD&dchild=1&keywords=brake+line+pliers&qid=1606407079&s=automotive&sprefix=brake+line+pl%2Cautomotive%2C139&sr=1-7

And spring for the better style tubing cutter, too (instead of the teeny one) - like this:
https://www.amazon.com/OTC-6512-Heavy-Duty-Tubing-Cutter/dp/B000F5ED44/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=otc+tubing+cutter&qid=1606407220&s=automotive&sr=1-2
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby icebrrg3rd » November 26th 2020, 6:33pm

Thanks Leeann, those were the ones I was looking at. Which size did you use for the rear? Oh, and I have a decent cutter, used for cutting pipes for plumbing. Only thing is the delivery time is a few days away, so the van will be down for a little bit. Hope the Sebring doesn't realize this and follow suit.

-Andrew

icebrrg3rd
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby markmitch » November 26th 2020, 7:10pm

I ordered the parts I need to make progress on my rear drive to AWD swap. Then I watched a movie. We don't do holidays but since there are no stores open in town I guess its movie day for me.
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 624
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD

Postby sixsix » November 26th 2020, 8:49pm

markmitch wrote: ...We don't do holidays

I realize it is religious based, but golly, don't the kids get bummed?

Are there any "Celebrations" that 'Fit In' ?

sixsix

Postby Leeann_93 » November 26th 2020, 9:50pm

icebrrg3rd wrote:Thanks Leeann, those were the ones I was looking at. Which size did you use for the rear? Oh, and I have a decent cutter, used for cutting pipes for plumbing. Only thing is the delivery time is a few days away, so the van will be down for a little bit. Hope the Sebring doesn't realize this and follow suit.

-Andrew

I just bought ¼" and used it everywhere - the flare nuts are the same. I think the Astro used 3/16" for one and ¼" for the other (and I can't remember which), but I'm lazy.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Mmusicman » November 27th 2020, 6:49pm

Did a minor alignment tweak on my 2000 yesterday. I have some "heel toe feathering" on the outside of my tire. "Camber and toe" measure correctly and appear to be within spec (while vehicle is sitting)... but I suspect I "may" have some play while driving. I added some slight correction to hopefully compensate. I may be due for some new steering components.

I'm also running a lot of castor (more than spec) which mostly comes to play when turning, but is said to help improve straight driving too. This could be a result from that too. I've also read that vehicles with high factory castor this may be somewhat normal, and is corrected simply by rotating tires. But my wife's car doesn't do this with the same identical camber/toe setting.

20201101_085124.jpg

For my Thanksgiving holiday..I'm also doing a little cleanup around the house.
I have some old tires I need to remove from some rims... (long overdue project)

20201126_141827.jpg

I have tried a few different methods to remove the tire.
Cutting though them was quite easy.. but didn't really accomplish much when it came to separating the bead..

20201126_141916.jpg

I came up with this DIY idea!
Jack the up van in the air (with this makeshift tool in place).. then lower it onto the tire...

20201126_150332.jpg

IT WORKED PERFECTLY! First try!
MacGyver would have been proud. :mrgreen:
(I did this once before to replace a bad valve stem)

20201126_150423.jpg

SUCCESS! I WIN!

20201126_152734.jpg

Slow day... thought I would share... :D
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby dcsleeper » November 27th 2020, 7:00pm

Genius! I LOL'd

If that first pic is looking towards the back, it is toed in too much.
Please update your User Control Panel to include your location!!! it's in the upper right!
Profile | Edit signature

ChevyMaher wrote:If you don't want people saying you suck, which is the truth, stop sucking
dcsleeper
Topics: 19
Alias (AKA): DC
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: I have 2 1AWD 1RWD

Postby Leeann_93 » November 27th 2020, 9:40pm

I took mine on errands, since my husband had to work. Ace Hardware, Walgreens, the beer store, Home Depot. Ran like a top.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Alias (AKA):

Postby DriveDog » November 29th 2020, 4:33pm

Leeann_93 wrote:I just bought ¼" and used it everywhere - the flare nuts are the same. I think the Astro used 3/16" for one and ¼" for the other (and I can't remember which), but I'm lazy.

I'm guessing your ABS is still operational—so the slight increase in volume of the lines didn't affect ABS, I take it?
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered!" --Number Six
DriveDog
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: DriveDog has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA): David
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: LT RWD

PreviousNext