Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

First Gen General Questions

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  markmitch 
#1 ·
Well, as I'm assembling my project I'm finding out what is and is not here. First thing I realized was I have no coil or the mount. Can somebody show me a picture of where that is located on a 1989 4.3? Also, I know one leg of this is broken and it bolts to the intake manifold but what does it do? Guess I'm going to the junk yard soon.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
LOL, that is one way to remove it ;)

Youtube has a bunch of videos of that part under coil replacement.

I probably have a picture floating around here somewhere, will have to look.

#4 ·
no the coil from the factory is mounted with its own bracket. it sits right behind the throttle body assembly. The item you showed is for the map sensor and another sensor I can't find the name of. The bracket has been cut so grab the bracket from another 4.3 in the junk yard. My advice is find another Astro the same year and engine and take a few pictures to guide you. Anytime I work on another vehicle I am not familiar with I take pictures prior to starting and store them on an external hard drive for future reference.

#5 ·
markmitch said:
no the coil from the factory is mounted with its own bracket. it sits right behind the throttle body assembly. The item you showed is for the map sensor and another sensor I can't find the name of. The bracket has been cut so grab the bracket from another 4.3 in the junk yard. My advice is find another Astro the same year and engine and take a few pictures to guide you. Anytime I work on another vehicle I am not familiar with I take pictures prior to starting and store them on an external hard drive for future reference.
That bracket holds the ESC module (at the top with the exposed terminals) and the map sensor (on the bottom). Here's a crappy pic of it (and location) on my 88 Astro. Sorry about the mess, but I was getting ready to pull the engine, and didn't have a better pic (I looked).

It's located just forward and to the right of the distributor.
This part assembly was used from 1986 thru 92, maybe thru 95 on the TBI engines, and also could be found on S-10's and S-15's with TBI.
I hope this helps.
Note, it's actually located just in front of the coil, and is under that wire cluster mess. It gets bolted to the intake manifold stud and a bolt hole in the manifold, which is probably why yours was trimmed off.

#6 ·
This is on my '93 Bravada, so the pic is taken from the front. You can see the coil and bracket on the left.
IMG_0245.JPG

Slightly closer, but right on the edge on this pic:
IMG_0247.JPG

And, with the upper plenum removed, you can see the bracket mounting a little better
14_PoppetsInstalled.jpg

#8 ·
Hmmm, that's interesting. One of my sensors is mounted on a bracket by itself on the back of the head,

2020-11-20_CloseUp01.jpg

the other is next to the TBI on a bracket with a different sensor.

2020-11-20_CloseUp02.jpg

This is a '91 TBI ("Z" motor). Yeah, I swapped in a V-8 but I used the original V-6 sensors and brackets in the original locations.

-Andrew

#10 ·
That's a second gen coil, ICM and bracket.

Taken on an angle, but this is the passenger side of the manifold and head:
IMG_0853.JPG

And a wider view of the whole replacement engine in the back of my '93, where you can see the ICM is part of the distributor on a Gen 1:
IMG_0858.JPG

#12 ·
Best pic I have is for my '91, I guess I've never really took one of just the coil and/or mount.

2014-05-16_CoilCloseup.jpg

Mine is mounted between the dizzy and the TBI. Ignore the breather hose that looks like it's attached to it. Two black plugs on one side, and a tower on the other for the plug wire (to dizzy center).

-Andrew

#14 ·
So is the Astro bracket different from the Blazer/Jimmy/Bravada mount? The pics I posted were from my '93 Bravada and the replacement engine for my '93 Astro, but it came from a '94 Blazer.

Or is it different TBI to CPI?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.