Quick Release Brackets for ARB Awnings

Forum rules
Always remember this is the internet folks. People get scammed every day (although, thankfully not here). Be aware of who you are dealing with and the product you're potentially buying. A little common sense goes a long way.
SCAMMERS BEWARE- We cooperate fully with users who have been defrauded. All IP Addresses are logged so just don't even bother.

Quick Release Brackets for ARB Awnings

Postby WinnieVan [OP] » September 4th 2020, 11:19am

Hey all,

I devised a set of ARB awning brackets that allow you to quickly and easily remove/install the awning on the OEM roof rack. I (used) to live in a place where stuff got stolen all the time, so I never felt comfortable leaving my ARB awning installed permanently. I've always wanted a set of "quick-release" brackets, but the ones from ARB just weren't sufficient.

Here's what they will look like --
ARB12.jpg

ARB13.jpg
ARB13.jpg (28.15 KiB) Viewed 709 times

Some annotations:
- The black "bar" in that picture is a placeholder for the Astro OEM Rack Sidebar.
- The green bracket attaches to the awning via the three small holes on the front face of the bracket
- The blue and red bracket are squeezed between the roof rack rail for a study fit.

The magic is the keyhole shapes in the red piece that allow you to mount and dismount the awning easily -- as shown in detail below:
ARB10.jpg

ARB8.JPG

ARB9.JPG

Each bracket kit will contain two sets of brackets.

I'm still iroining out the final details (including price), but I would like to set up a group-buy for these brackets if there is any interest. Pricing will largely depend on how much interest and economies of scale at the plasma table.

If you're interest in a set -- post here or PM me. I'll start a list and start getting things together.
Original Poster [OP]
WinnieVan
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: WinnieVan has been a member for 4 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 4 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 4 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 63
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • RS quick ratio steering box for sale
    by markmitch » November 11th 2020, 8:19pm in Parts/Accessories For Sale
    0 Replies
    Last post by markmitch View the latest post
    November 11th 2020, 8:19pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 7th 2021, 12:54pm

Re: Quick Release Brackets for ARB Awnings

Postby WinnieVan [OP] » September 16th 2020, 10:50pm

Well proof of concept and pictures of this in use were supposed to be happening right now -- and then Oregon caught on fire and I can't go outside.

Stay tuned... I'll get the proof-of-concept done and then I'll share the results -- althought it looks like this will likely be a one-off, given the low level of interest :)

:rofl:
Original Poster [OP]
WinnieVan
Years of Membership: WinnieVan has been a member for 4 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 4 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 4 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 4 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby MechBob » September 17th 2020, 6:03am

Hey dude,great concept. Several things,most of us would not buy relabeled ARB stuff that is china,anyways.2nd,where I live and camp,flimsy awnings like this do not work.3rd, plastic knobs,instead of having to use a wrench would really be a selling point.OK,all,feel free to slam on me.Take care,winnie.
MechBob
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: MechBob has been a member for 2 full yearsMechBob has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): Bob
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: 4x4

Postby WinnieVan [OP] » September 25th 2020, 3:47am

All valid comments MechBob -- I test drove the prototype I built and it worked great. I've made changes to the design and am getting them quoted by the local laser cutter.

I've decided to allow for the use of three brackets -- that way you can have two on the ends of the rack and one in the middle. I've slotted the mounting points to account for the curvature of the roof rack. This will allow for a very square installation, which will help make everything work as intended and make these truly easy to use.

I've also moved the mounting location of the awning up an 1/2" -- which should lead to a better resting position of the awning so it hangs just above the body for nice clean lines.

Pricing still TBD -- but I'm aiming for less than $100.

AwningAssembly2.JPG
AwningAssembly2.JPG (26.62 KiB) Viewed 570 times
AwningAssembly1.JPG
AwningAssembly1.JPG (28.61 KiB) Viewed 570 times
AwningAssembly3.JPG
AwningAssembly3.JPG (35.14 KiB) Viewed 570 times

I've received a few PM with interest -- so let me know if you're interested and I'll add you to the list. I'm aiming to make a set of 10 brackets -- 5 are already spoken for!
Original Poster [OP]
WinnieVan
Alias (AKA):

Postby MechBob » September 25th 2020, 4:37am

Nothing I need,Winnie, but your improvements are excellent,logical and on track.Awnings are just kinda rare here,except for newbies,because you have to babysit them,and take them down even if you just want to go jump in the lake for a bit.But the improvements,very good.Out here, people(usually snowbirds,here for the summer) have the awning tied down with many 40lb bags of sand.
MechBob
Years of Membership: MechBob has been a member for 2 full yearsMechBob has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): Bob
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: 4x4

Postby WinnieVan [OP] » September 25th 2020, 6:03am

Honestly -- I hear ya -- I mostly use it to get out of the rain and provide some shade in the summer -- but Oregon has far less wind than the Rockies.
Original Poster [OP]
WinnieVan
Alias (AKA):

Postby Wiley » September 25th 2020, 3:43pm

I too have no need, but the ARB awnings are not flimsy, mine has survived 9 countries (Yes, there are stronger awnings, and maybe quality has gone down over the decade, mine is getting old). Also, I don't think many here would be opposed to needing to use a wrench vs plastic tabs, since we are carrying them anyway. Cool idea, also nice to store the awning in the garage and save MPG if you only use the awning a few times a year, but I admit onc eup there I forget it is even there.

Maybe try posting on expeditionportal, since that is dedicated to overlanding there are more ARB awning users across vehicle platforms, your design would probably work with a bunch of racks
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
Wiley
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Wiley has been a member for 7 full yearsWiley has been a member for 7 full yearsWiley has been a member for 7 full yearsWiley has been a member for 7 full yearsWiley has been a member for 7 full yearsWiley has been a member for 7 full yearsWiley has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: AWD 2 inch Lift

Postby WinnieVan [OP] » October 23rd 2020, 8:18pm

That's a good idea Wiley -- Expo folks have deeper pockets than us astrosafarians.

Just need to finish painting my prototype and then I'll get some shots of it in action... it works awesome and I love how easy it is to remove/install.

It's also nice to be able to remove the awning so I can take my baby through the automatic carwash after a week on the trail... they wouldn't let me through with my previous awning. Liability or something.
Original Poster [OP]
WinnieVan
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » October 23rd 2020, 8:42pm

MechBob wrote:because you have to babysit them,and take them down even if you just want to go jump in the lake for a bit.

Hands down the worst part about owning an awning.

Of course the new ones that automatically retract if the wind picks up would be the bees knees, but $$$.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby jcmuellner » November 28th 2020, 4:13pm

Sent a PM, WinnieVan. This is just what I need and the three brackets are ideal for the ARB 2500x2500 awning I have.
jcmuellner
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: jcmuellner has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA): jcm
Van Model Year: 2005

Postby WinnieVan [OP] » January 4th 2021, 12:27am

JC -- Your parts are packaged and ready for use!

IMG_6023.jpg

IMG_6026.jpg

IMG_6024.jpg

IMG_6025.jpg

Please send some photos of them installed when you get a chance!!
Original Poster [OP]
WinnieVan
Alias (AKA):

Postby jcmuellner » January 4th 2021, 1:11am

Those look so nice!! Thank you Derek!

Will post a pic when they are installed (and it's not pounding rain here!)

Cheers,
Jon
jcmuellner
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: jcmuellner has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA): jcm
Van Model Year: 2005

Postby AstroWill » January 4th 2021, 7:14pm

Fan-freaking-tastic! Those look great!

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby WinnieVan [OP] » January 5th 2021, 9:54pm

Just so everyone knows -- I've come up with pricing for the various brackets -- there are a couple options:

Two bracket systems:
2x slotted brackets = $75
2x non-slotted brackets = $60

3 bracket system:
2x slotted + 1x non-slotted = $100
3x slotted = $110

My hot take?
- In my experience the 2x bracket sytem is plenty -- but if you want extra ridgidity the three bracket system will add it.
- slotted brackets allow for more flexibility in mounting positions -- especially given the curvature of the rails
- non-slotted brackets work fine if your mounting position are symmetric (i.e. the front one and the rear bracket are similar distance to the center line of the roof rail) -- this is again due to the curvature of the roof rails.

At this point -- these are made-to-order -- so let me know what you are after!!
Original Poster [OP]
WinnieVan
Alias (AKA):

Postby Dylan_Petersen » March 5th 2021, 10:12pm

I would also like a set of 2 of these quick release brackets.
Dylan_Petersen
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA): Dylan
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: Rwd

Postby sixsix » Yesterday, 9:03pm

He's still helping that one lady w/ the kids n' all - 2 flats...
He'll be right back ! Grab a magazine...

"Ban gerrymandering" out 1 side, then says, "We really need to get rid of the electoral college for starters, there is no way in hell that the person that receives fewer votes wins, simply crazy."
So only CAL, ILL & NY Elects??
sixsix
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K