aftermarket key fob ?

aftermarket key fob ?

Postby markmitch [OP] » January 4th 2021, 4:45am

Anyone here ever install a key fob system on a vehicle that didn't have one? My 03 Astro has power door locks and power windows but did not come with a key fob system. Even if I have to install a remote start system to get it I would. So if you have ever done either let me know what you did and brands used etc? Thanks , Mark
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 626
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Key FOB Replacement
    by Lowcountry » January 12th 2021, 1:28am in Electrical
    4 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    January 12th 2021, 7:04am
  • Remove key in ignition chime
    by Cooki_monstre » September 28th 2020, 10:48pm in Electrical
    3 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    October 1st 2020, 5:54pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 2nd 2021, 9:34pm

Re: aftermarket key fob ?

Postby MechBob » January 4th 2021, 6:06am

LOL,Mark,an 03 body controls are through the PCM.Buy the remote transmitters, then pay a shop that has the GM programming to set it up/turn it on.
MechBob
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: MechBob has been a member for 2 full yearsMechBob has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): Bob
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: 4x4

Postby doogaloo » January 4th 2021, 11:55am

Another option that I decided to do was buy an alarm with a key fob. When you start the van, it locks the doors and provides basic security. Purchased on Amazon for around $35. Used Velcro to attach.
Attachments
IMG_0674.jpg
doogaloo
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: doogaloo has been a member for 2 full yearsdoogaloo has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 32
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

Postby dcsleeper » January 4th 2021, 2:45pm

MechBob wrote:LOL,Mark,an 03 body controls are through the PCM.Buy the remote transmitters, then pay a shop that has the GM programming to set it up/turn it on.

Can you expand on this?
What exactly does the GM dealer or locksmith 'do' to enable this?
If there is a general purpose thing that I could use for other purposes I would just spend that money on hardware and not services.

Mark, the fobs are $11 for two on ebay.
Please update your User Control Panel to include your location!!! it's in the upper right!
Profile | Edit signature

ChevyMaher wrote:If you don't want people saying you suck, which is the truth, stop sucking
dcsleeper
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 20
Alias (AKA): DC
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: I have 2 1AWD 1RWD

Postby AstroWill » January 4th 2021, 5:43pm

Firstly, post a picture of your RPO codes, see what the van came with. You can also try to enter programming mode and see if it reacts at all with programming mode. If that is the case then you just need the fobs. Otherwise you should be able to add in the RKE module and antenna and get everything programmed.

The RKE module talks directly to the BCM to send lock/unlock/programming/etc.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby markmitch [OP] » January 4th 2021, 6:15pm

rpo codes 03 Astro
Attachments
03codes.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years

Postby dcsleeper » January 4th 2021, 6:26pm

<<< Firstly, post a picture of your RPO codes, see what the van came with. You can also try to enter programming mode and see if it reacts at all with programming mode. If that is the case then you just need the fobs.
>>>

I did all this but it didn't work. That's why I ask about the 'programmer'.
Please update your User Control Panel to include your location!!! it's in the upper right!
Profile | Edit signature

ChevyMaher wrote:If you don't want people saying you suck, which is the truth, stop sucking
dcsleeper

Postby AstroWill » January 4th 2021, 6:27pm

AU0 code is for RKE, so you just need the fobs. Go out to your van and try entering programming mode see if the locks react.
Simple to program: https://sites.google.com/site/astrosafa ... less-entry

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years

Postby AstroWill » January 4th 2021, 6:33pm

dcsleeper wrote:<<< Firstly, post a picture of your RPO codes, see what the van came with. You can also try to enter programming mode and see if it reacts at all with programming mode. If that is the case then you just need the fobs.
>>>

I did all this but it didn't work. That's why I ask about the 'programmer'.

Have you verified that the RKE module is there and has power?

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby dcsleeper » January 4th 2021, 6:34pm

I have that rpo
programming mode responds, but never works.
seller said needs a locksmith
mechbob says programmer

WHAT programmer will work for this?

I'm sure it would come in handy for something else as well. Might as well get it.

AstroWill wrote:Have you verified that the RKE module is there and has power?

wouldn't it responding by entering programming mode prove that the rke module has power?
Profile | Edit signature

dcsleeper

Postby markmitch [OP] » January 4th 2021, 7:02pm

so what exactly would I need to do this? and would an aftermarket remote starter be wired into this or would it be separate?
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby AstroWill » January 4th 2021, 7:08pm

markmitch wrote:so what exactly would I need to do this? and would an aftermarket remote starter be wired into this or would it be separate?

Just buy the proper keyfobs and follow the instructions to program them. A remote starter would be a separate aftermarket item. If you are going that route then you wouldn't bother with the OEM fobs.

dcsleeper wrote:I have that rpo
programming mode responds, but never works.
seller said needs a locksmith
mechbob says programmer

The Tech2 can put it into programming mode, but it does the same thing. If that is working then you might not have the proper keyfobs.

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director