1999 astro cargo build thread

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Re: 1999 astro cargo build thread

Postby stent [OP] » December 2nd 2020, 7:36am

i put this stuff in and the leak has stopped :
SNOT1.jpg

i was really skeptical but it really stopped - who knows for how long but it buys me some time.

this nasty, sticky, black snot was in the radiator filler neck when i took off the cap to add the stop leak :
SNOT2.jpg
black snot

snot3.jpg

i don't know what else it could be but oil, but it doesn't feel like oil.
the dipstick oil looks fine.
i wasn't planning on changing head gaskets - ugh... the only other way i could imagine oil in the radiator is through the oil cooler...

yesterday i went to the JY and practiced the intake operation on a corpse.
i took the intake home & am planning on getting this one ready to install with a new spider before i take my van apart.
it took me about 3 hours to get this out
int1.jpg
JY intake

int2.jpg

int3.jpg

int4.jpg

int5.jpg

i might go back to the JY to practice removing the heads if we get another good weather day before they crush it.
20201130_153736_Burst01.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: stent has been a member for 3 full yearsstent has been a member for 3 full yearsstent has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: rwd cargo

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Postby AstroWill » December 3rd 2020, 4:56am

stent wrote:i put this stuff in and the leak has stopped :
i was really skeptical but it really stopped - who knows for how long but it buys me some time.

Fan-freaking-tastic! You might be surprised, some of that stuff is pretty darn good.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby stent [OP] » December 9th 2020, 2:28am

so far so good. this down the hole pic shows how much coolant i've used since the morning after (nov. 28) i dumped in the Bar's Leaks and i filled the expansion tank up. no more black goo in the filler neck either, & the dipstick oil still looks good. i've gone about 150 miles, putt-putting on the side streets.
goo.jpg

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Years of Membership: stent has been a member for 3 full yearsstent has been a member for 3 full yearsstent has been a member for 3 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby sixsix » December 10th 2020, 1:47am

Just amazing - that there are these products and that they work well.
Congrats.

"Ban gerrymandering" out 1 side, then says, "We really need to get rid of the electoral college for starters, there is no way in hell that the person that receives fewer votes wins, simply crazy."
So only CAL, ILL & NY Elects??
sixsix
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby AstroWill » December 10th 2020, 7:01pm

stent wrote:so far so good. this down the hole pic shows how much coolant i've used since the morning after (nov. 28) i dumped in the Bar's Leaks and i filled the expansion tank up. no more black goo in the filler neck either, & the dipstick oil still looks good. i've gone about 150 miles, putt-putting on the side streets.
:thumbup: :thumbup:

Looks good! Glad to hear it's working for you!

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years

Postby stent [OP] » December 11th 2020, 12:27am

:ty: thanks mike & will ! - i appreciate your support.

the Bar's Leaks goop is buying me time to round up parts for repair & to get ready for a good wrenching thrash.
i've been debit card shopping & stuff is coming in.
so far it's all from amazon. i tried to set up an account with rockauto but they wouldn't because they said they aren't set up to distribute the local taxes to whoever in metro denver they are supposed to send $ to - whatever.
i'll post pics of the stuff i'm buying while it's all new, uninstalled, & give part numbers & prices for reference to anyone looking for replacing the same stuff. i've caught the "i might as well do this while i'm in there" bug, because i want to get the mechanicals trouble free & reliable again then get back to my interior & audio installation fun stuff.......

here's where most of my post's come from :
ick1.jpg
icky vicki

i've got lots & lots of screen background pics, i think i'll start my posts with whatever is up at the time.

first part up for thread pics is the fuel injection spider. having to go at least down to the lower intake gasket "i might as well" do the injectors. i really wanted to swap in a mercruiser marine fuel injection intake system (at my leisure) but i abandoned the idea when i started to leave a trail of antifreeze wherever i went. i reconsidered briefly when i plugged the leak but didn't want to rush figuring out the injector control, mapping, upgraded ECM, legal emissions, etc. so i bought the upgraded GM spider with the "real" individual electric injectors - ACDelco No. 217-3028, $215.78. i'm easy to please & l'll be perfectly happy with this 6-legged electric bug hiding in there - lots of pics here to get a good look at what it is :
spider.jpg

link : https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-217-3028 ... B000NW8ES0
here's what i received, it was shipped in an outer box in addition to this white box & arrived safely :
ick2.jpg

ick3.jpg

ick4.jpg

ick5.jpg
instruction sheet with tiny print

ick6.jpg
bag of gaskets

ick7.jpg
bag of gaskets

ick8.jpg
box with bracket

ick9.jpg
bracket

ick10.jpg
spider in clamshell

more........
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby Leeann_93 » December 11th 2020, 12:31am

It's back in stock - that's great. For a little while, no one had that kit. You'll be happy with the upgrade.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby stent [OP] » December 11th 2020, 1:03am

..........more

ick11.jpg

ick12.jpg

ick13.jpg

ick14.jpg

ick15.jpg

ick16.jpg

ick17.jpg

ick18.jpg

ick19.jpg

ick20.jpg

i'll add other parts later
:wave:
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby stent [OP] » December 22nd 2020, 12:36am

a quicky update on the "Bar's Leak" leak fix.
pic into top of expansion tank after leak stopped & i refilled the tank - right after thanksgiving :
goo.jpg

pic into top of expansion tank today - i haven't added anything more yet & i've gone about 300 easy miles total :
LEAK1.jpg

so far so good - all the mileage has been on city streets, none on the highway.
i never let the engine leak enough to run hot before the goo plug, it doesn't run hot at all now either.
the dipstick oil still looks like oil.
there IS some black slime on the walls of the expansion tank - see the last pic for best look.
i'm still collecting parts, i'll add more new parts pics when i get a chance.....
:rockon:
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » December 22nd 2020, 1:10am

Thanks for the update!

Looks like it's going to give you plenty of time to acquire your parts and decide when you want to get started.

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby Slime » December 22nd 2020, 5:52pm

Nice build! I just got done doing the intake gasket on my Vortex V8 truck. Just getting to the intake to get it off was such a PITA....probably why I couldn't work in a dealership! LOL
Slime
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: Slime has been a member for 3 full yearsSlime has been a member for 3 full yearsSlime has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 17
Alias (AKA): slime
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: Custom Cargo

Postby stent [OP] » January 12th 2021, 9:48pm

another stopleak update - the level in the coolant tank is about the same & the oil on the dipstick still looks like oil - been using the van to commute & am staying off the highway...
OIL2.jpg

OIL1.jpg

the van is running good like always, the coolant temp runs right around the thermostat rating, and the heater works fine - i was wondering about the stopleak clogging up the heater core, but it hasn't yet.
notice in the picture down into the expansion tank, however, of the scummy residue building up on the inner wall of the tank, right above the fluid level - it's definitely built up more than what was there in the first 2 pictures i posted. i will get the coolant system "detergent flushed" at a shop once i change everything out to make sure i get all of this sticky goo out (thinking out loud, maybe i should flush it right BEFORE i pull it all apart).
Last edited by stent on January 12th 2021, 10:16pm, edited 1 time in total.
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby Rod's Trucks » January 12th 2021, 10:09pm

It looks very good to me.
There will always be a small amount of the residue working it's way to the surface, until you do the chemical cleaning ( and maybe even a tiny bit after that).
I would not be too concerned about that little bit. :pray:
But, I definitely would want to keep an yon it for any signs of a sudden change.
Rod J
issaquah, WA
Rod's Trucks
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Rod's Trucks has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 32
Alias (AKA): Rod and/or WE7X
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: Forest Green LS AWD

Postby stent [OP] » January 14th 2021, 5:22pm

Rod's Trucks wrote:It looks very good to me.
There will always be a small amount of the residue working it's way to the surface, until you do the chemical cleaning ( and maybe even a tiny bit after that).
I would not be too concerned about that little bit. :pray:
But, I definitely would want to keep an yon it for any signs of a sudden change.
Rod J
issaquah, WA

hi rod,
thanks for taking a look - i've been checking the level every morning before starting the engine. i swear the hood release works easier from all of the opening & closing....
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby stent [OP] » January 29th 2021, 11:40pm

the stop leak is still working, over 600 miles now -- YAY!!!

the current desktop pic - vintage sunbeam power tools.
sunbeam.jpg

here's some more pictures of new parts to install at the leak fix thrash....
fel-pro intake manifold bolts, # es72224.
fel-pro intake manifold gasket set, MS 98002 T.
int6.jpg

INT7.jpg

INT8.jpg

INT9.jpg

INT10.jpg

INT11.jpg

INT12.jpg

INT13.jpg

INT14.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby sixsix » January 30th 2021, 12:50am

... and a phone with a cord!

And those are some Mighty Fine Gaskets you got there, sonny boy...
( that's what the guy said to Dolly from real far away :shrug: )

"Ban gerrymandering" out 1 side, then says, "We really need to get rid of the electoral college for starters, there is no way in hell that the person that receives fewer votes wins, simply crazy."
So only CAL, ILL & NY Elects??
sixsix
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby AstroWill » January 30th 2021, 1:19am

stent wrote:the stop leak is still working, over 600 miles now -- YAY!!!

Awesome! Have you decided when you are going to start doing the gaskets?

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby Leeann_93 » January 30th 2021, 1:37am

stent wrote:the stop leak is still working, over 600 miles now -- YAY!!!

the current desktop pic - vintage sunbeam power tools.
sunbeam.jpg

On a nice older iMac, too (she says looking at the pic on her 27" iMac)
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby stent [OP] » February 2nd 2021, 5:55am

the desktop screen of the moment..........
bwine1.jpg
bumwine

sixsix wrote:... and a phone with a cord!
And those are some Mighty Fine Gaskets you got there, sonny boy...

i did a wider angle pic this time to get the phone in. RCA in basic black.....
i thought that as many people as get the lower intake leak i'd put in good closeup pics of the fel-pro gasket set to see what you get in the box. the new manifold bolts are a separate buy, i got them just because they come with thread sealer already on them.
Leeann_93 wrote:

On a nice older iMac, too (she says looking at the pic on her 27" iMac)

check out the keyboard - it's from the solid white series prior to this one and has the clickety-clack keys.

AstroWill wrote:Awesome! Have you decided when you are going to start doing the gaskets?

if i get a "BIG SPEW" anytime soon, i'll change just the gaskets as soon thereafter as i can without frostbite - but if my goop plug luck holds out :pray: , i'll wait till one of the first nice weeks in spring where i can take off for a few days and really attack with a bunch of other new stuff - once the engine is stripped enough to change the manifold a lot of other things become much easier to do at the same time : my power steering pump & one hose have been slow leaking for years; i need to upgrade the alternator & associated cables for the stereo i'm installing (slowly); it's a great time to install the underhood part of the factory cruise control i'm adding, do a new water pump, radiator, hoses, whew!! i did give up at least for now on making a go of the mercruiser marine fuel injection setup - i'll be perfectly happy with a new FI spider instead & money ahead.

i've been fitting out the old trailer i posted a few pics of previously to have a good little place to spread out tools & parts. i put in a 50 amp, 120/240V RV electrical service rather than throw an extension cord out the window; the service connection, disconnect switch & main breaker are done. i've got a breaker box for inside the trailer that i still need to install along with the associated conduit/MC cable, switches & receptacles, because the trailer was stripped to the skin & inner framing when i got it. i've got a good workbench & plenty of shop lights in already, also a 240V portable heater & a 120V window AC unit to handle whatever the weather is.
bwine2.jpg
it's taken root nicely

bwine3.jpg
power!!!!

bwine4.jpg

i grabbed the valve covers off the JY van i took the intake from, they are some of the filthiest i've ever seen - i was planning on cleaning these now to use later when i changeover to save time....
bwine5.jpg

got an oversized, welded aluminum radiator off ebay for $150.00 - it looks to be nicely made & has a real 2" core...
RAD2.jpg

RAD3.jpg

RAD1.jpg

RAD4.jpg

RAD5.jpg

RAD6.jpg

RAD7.jpg
a real petcock !!

RAD9.jpg

RAD10.jpg

Original Poster [OP]
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » February 2nd 2021, 8:05pm

stent wrote:if i get a "BIG SPEW" anytime soon, i'll change just the gaskets as soon thereafter as i can without frostbite - but if my goop plug luck holds out :pray: , i'll wait till one of the first nice weeks in spring where i can take off for a few days and really attack with a bunch of other new stuff - once the engine is stripped enough to change the manifold a lot of other things become much easier to do at the same time : my power steering pump & one hose have been slow leaking for years; i need to upgrade the alternator & associated cables for the stereo i'm installing (slowly); it's a great time to install the underhood part of the factory cruise control i'm adding, do a new water pump, radiator, hoses, whew!! i did give up at least for now on making a go of the mercruiser marine fuel injection setup - i'll be perfectly happy with a new FI spider instead & money ahead.

I'm sure it would hold for many years, will be replaced way before it fails. Yep, at that point might as well do it 'while we are here'. If you aren't going to do some kind of forced induction you probably don't need the ability to change the injectors anyway.
You will be real happy with the new spider using real injectors.

It's nice having a comfortable place to work, spent a few years not having that and I wouldn't go back to that.

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

PreviousNext