Backup Signal under Dash

Backup Signal under Dash

Postby jimi_lee [OP] » July 15th 2018, 5:05am

Can anybody help me locate a reverse signal under the dash? It seems stupid to have to run a wire from the tail lights up to the the dash when there is already a wire carrying that signal going the opposite direction.

Am I right to assume the wire is light green (the color of the reverse signal in the tow harness)?

There are 3-4 light green wires coming from the steering column. Would one of those be it?
Original Poster [OP]
jimi_lee
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: jimi_lee has been a member for 3 full yearsjimi_lee has been a member for 3 full yearsjimi_lee has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: Awd

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • another turn signal post
    by paulbot » January 21st 2021, 1:12am in Electrical
    5 Replies
    Last post by paulbot View the latest post
    January 25th 2021, 1:20am
  • Ignition switched power source under hood
    by snailsafari » September 4th 2020, 10:45pm in Electrical
    3 Replies
    Last post by Sailing_Faith View the latest post
    September 6th 2020, 6:12pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 2nd 2021, 9:05pm

Re: Backup Signal under Dash

Postby Leeann_93 » July 15th 2018, 3:45pm

'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby jimi_lee [OP] » July 16th 2018, 4:58pm

Thanks to those who replied. Several others had posted the same question on this forum looking for a somewhere they could tap into to install a backup camera. There did not seem to be an answer other than "Just wire it back to the brake light/tow package."

Yesterday I poked around and found what I was looking for.

Here is a picture of the backup signal wire.
It is right where Leeann's diagram shows it should be. The wire is light green. It is in a giant bundle of wires leaving the fuse box in the drivers foot well. I think it is the only light green wire in this cluster. In this photo I have already cut the wire and crimped on spade connectors (pink). Hope this is helpful.
Original Poster [OP]
jimi_lee
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: jimi_lee has been a member for 3 full yearsjimi_lee has been a member for 3 full yearsjimi_lee has been a member for 3 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby chr_sei » July 16th 2018, 9:49pm

Thanks for figuring this out! This should be helpful for wireless cameras.

However if you buy a regular reverse camera most have the cable for the reverse signal with the camera cable which you have to run anyways. It was quite easy to fish the cable under the headliner in my case.
chr_sei
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: chr_sei has been a member for 2 full yearschr_sei has been a member for 2 full years
Alias (AKA): Chris
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: RWD

Postby jimi_lee [OP] » July 16th 2018, 10:24pm

chr_sei wrote:Thanks for figuring this out! This should be helpful for wireless cameras.

However if you buy a regular reverse camera most have the cable for the reverse signal with the camera cable which you have to run anyways. It was quite easy to fish the cable under the headliner in my case.

I am not sure that is how backup cameras are supposed to be set up. At least it wasn't for my head unit/camera.

My head unit, a Sony xav-ax100, connects to the camera by the composite video connection. The head unit has a separate wire, labelled "reverse", which tells the head unit to switch video inputs when the car is in reverse. The video input will switch back when the car is out of reverse. I can also go through the settings and manually change the video input to the back up camera when the car is not in reverse.

Wiring for the camera include 1) a positive lead, 2) a negative lead, and 3) a composite video connection. The positive goes to an accessory power cable (something that turns on when the car is on and off when the car is off) so that the camera is still on if I want to manually change the video input.
Original Poster [OP]
jimi_lee
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Leeann_93 » July 16th 2018, 10:32pm

Glad I could help.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby Andejo » September 13th 2020, 4:29pm

jimi_lee wrote:Thanks to those who replied. Several others had posted the same question on this forum looking for a somewhere they could tap into to install a backup camera. There did not seem to be an answer other than "Just wire it back to the brake light/tow package."

Yesterday I poked around and found what I was looking for.

Here is a picture of the backup signal wire.
It is right where Leeann's diagram shows it should be. The wire is light green. It is in a giant bundle of wires leaving the fuse box in the drivers foot well. I think it is the only light green wire in this cluster. In this photo I have already cut the wire and crimped on spade connectors (pink). Hope this is helpful.

Just stopping by to thank you for your 2018 post and photo. It helped me greatly.
Andejo
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: AWD passenger van

Postby Theslaking » January 15th 2021, 1:06am

Just bought a n Astro and trying to get the radio installed so I drive this thing around.

Jimi lee do you still have a picture of the reverse wire location?
Theslaking
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2001
Extra Info: RWD

Postby SportsBoy » January 15th 2021, 3:49am

It's up above in this post....
SportsBoy
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: SportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 23
Alias (AKA): Blake
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD

Postby AstroWill » January 15th 2021, 5:01am

Theslaking wrote:Jimi lee do you still have a picture of the reverse wire location?

jimi_lee wrote:Here is a picture of the backup signal wire.

03_reverse_lights_firewall_passthrough_400.gif
03_reverse_lights_firewall_passthrough_400.gif (96.54 KiB) Viewed 207 times

I will just throw these in here as well.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches