No awd

Re: No awd

Postby Rockridge [OP] » December 18th 2019, 3:27am

Lol...

Storm dropped 4" today. The drive home was slow and at times quite interesting. :shock:
Original Poster [OP]
Rockridge
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Rockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 49
Alias (AKA): Walker
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • No power
    by equitube » September 13th 2020, 4:55am in Electrical
    4 Replies
    Last post by MechBob View the latest post
    September 17th 2020, 5:40am
  • 2000 GMC Safari turns over fires intermittent no start
    by Isuzuguru » September 21st 2020, 5:20am in Engines
    8 Replies
    Last post by Isuzuguru View the latest post
    September 29th 2020, 1:16am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 7th 2021, 3:33pm

Postby packmule » January 3rd 2021, 7:56pm

I know this post is over a year old, but I was wondering if you ever figured out the problem? I just purchased a 2004 chevy astro with the only problem being awd not working. I also am not getting a service awd light and the fuse is good. Really don't want to just throw parts at this. 233 swap out of budget as of right now, maybe at a later date. Any info would be extremely helpful. Thank you.
packmule
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: AWD

Postby Popsiclepete » January 9th 2021, 2:44pm

Very interesting and informative thread here. I am a Newby to astrosafari.com. Just joined yesterday. I’ve been having intermittent problems with the AWD on my 2005 Astro for a couple years and finally decided to fix it. I had a mechanic tell me that I may as well just replace both the transfer case shift motor encoder and the Transfer Case Control Module (TCCM). So, I decided to start with the shift motor encoder which was done a couple days ago and did not fix the problem. I still have no AWD when needed. The fuse is good but I pulled it yesterday after I read on this forum that permanent damage can be done to the transfer case if the codes are not cleared after installing a new shift motor encoder. My first question is what exactly can happen if the codes are not cleared to damage the transfer case? My second question is whether or not replacing the TCCM is the next logical step to fix the AWD? After reading some posts here, I am now wondering if the axel speed sensors might be the problem.
Popsiclepete
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005

Postby Mmusicman » January 9th 2021, 3:00pm

Popsiclepete wrote:My first question is what exactly can happen if the codes are not cleared to damage the transfer case? My second question is whether or not replacing the TCCM is the next logical step to fix the AWD?

Good questions.
(unfortunately I can't answer)

Is your AWD dash light on?

There's always a chance of numerous failures... TCCM, sensors, connections and wiring.. even internal clutches can be bad. (too many failure-points for me)

If I were going to guess throwing parts at it.. I'd start with the cheapest (or most likely) options first.

Also, are we sure new encoder is installed and working correctly?
To determine.. you "could" actually see if the encoder is getting signal
(wiring to encoder is available in DS kick panel)

When my AWD wasn't "up for the job".. I upgraded it to the manual 4x4 option! lol :mrgreen:
(but sticking with AWD is the better option if you drive in snow)

Good luck.. keep us posted
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby Popsiclepete » January 9th 2021, 3:17pm

The Service AWD light comes on intermittently. Seems to have a mind of its own. I’m beginning to like my 98 Astro AWD more and more but it bit the dust (engine) back in 2014. That’s when I bought this 05. Never had a problem with the 98 AWD. Better vehicle all around. I guess I’ll be looking into the 233 conversion or maybe just live with 2WD. Not sure if the new encoder is working. How would I know? Also, what about uncleared codes ruining the transfer case?
Popsiclepete
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Popsiclepete » January 9th 2021, 3:20pm

Now I’m going to show my ignorance. DS kick panel?
Popsiclepete
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Mmusicman » January 9th 2021, 4:46pm

Popsiclepete wrote:Now I’m going to show my ignorance. DS kick panel?

Driver side kick panel (wiring harness behind panel left of parking brake)

There are a pair of heavier gauge (guessing 14-16 gauge maybe) black wires that send the signal to the encoder motor (from the TCCM). This would be a possible place to "measure" the signal while attempting to engage the AWD (you would have to pierce or strip back some insulation). Of course the other option (maybe simpler) is to measure the signal at the encoder motor itself directly.

The "signal" is PWM (pulse width modulated).. but should still be readable with test light or VOM.

This is just one option to see if encoder is getting a signal, which would tell you which direction needs possible repair.

Sorry.. still no answer on clearing the TCCM codes.. or if it's even an issue.
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby Leeann_93 » January 9th 2021, 5:18pm

I've never had any trouble with the AWD on any of my Astros, including my '05. But I have heard of people having trouble with replacement encoder motors not working out of the box.

So I guess I'd start there with testing, but make sure you put the AWD fuse back in first :lol:

TransferCase.jpg
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):

Postby Rod's Trucks » January 9th 2021, 10:41pm

I believe;
From the diagram Leeann provided, it is obvious there is a 12v signal to operate the motor, but the signal could be a PWM one ( internally done in the module) and a short term one, which reverses the polarity to engage and dis-engage the encoder motor.
If you are going to try to operate the motor on a bench test, with a clip lead, it should only take a few seconds to determine the motor operation.
I would not plan to leave that constant 12v lead applied for more than a few minutes. It probably would not hurt anything, but I would not plan on leaving it connected.
A double-pole and double-throw ( DPDT ) momentary toggle switch with a center off position ( a relatively common switch) could be easily wired to do the task if desired. The momentary designation means you would have to hold your finger on it to keep any current applied to the motor.
You would have to manually switch the encoder ( momentarily )to the disconnect position when no longer needing the AWD function.
Rod J
Issaquah, WA
Rod's Trucks
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Rod's Trucks has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 32
Alias (AKA): Rod and/or WE7X
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: Forest Green LS AWD

Postby Popsiclepete » January 9th 2021, 10:43pm

Thanks for the input. I’ll let you know what I find out or decide to do.
Popsiclepete
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby packmule » January 16th 2021, 12:59pm

Rod's Trucks wrote:I believe;
From the diagram Leeann provided, it is obvious there is a 12v signal to operate the motor, but the signal could be a PWM one ( internally done in the module) and a short term one, which reverses the polarity to engage and dis-engage the encoder motor.
If you are going to try to operate the motor on a bench test, with a clip lead, it should only take a few seconds to determine the motor operation.
I would not plan to leave that constant 12v lead applied for more than a few minutes. It probably would not hurt anything, but I would not plan on leaving it connected.
A double-pole and double-throw ( DPDT ) momentary toggle switch with a center off position ( a relatively common switch) could be easily wired to do the task if desired. The momentary designation means you would have to hold your finger on it to keep any current applied to the motor.
You would have to manually switch the encoder ( momentarily )to the disconnect position when no longer needing the AWD function.
Rod J
Issaquah, WA

Could you wire a three way switch to engage AWD? Such as: up, then back to center, to turn on, down and back to center to turn off?
packmule
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » January 16th 2021, 5:51pm

Popsiclepete wrote:The Service AWD light comes on intermittently.

What codes are stored?

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby Rockridge [OP] » January 16th 2021, 8:33pm

Wow, a year later and I'm still driving around with just 2wd. Too many projects and too little time! A great set of snow tires has helped me tackle the driveway most days this winter. Of we get alot of snow I just leave it at the bottom and hike.

I will be tackling the transfer case swap soon and will provide photos of my solution. Have a friend with a lift and talent so should be a good time.

Planning on opening up the awd transfer case to see whats up, if anything. Looking forward to 4 low for pulling the boat up the ramp, possibly plowing and whatever.
Original Poster [OP]
Rockridge
Years of Membership: Rockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 49
Alias (AKA): Walker

Previous