Diagnose With Me

Diagnose With Me

Postby OldSchoolNoe [OP] » January 16th 2021, 9:33pm

Hello all using a relay circuit tester to find a bad wire or bad ground. It is Cal-Van Tools 76. Simple tester the tool shows 2 lights, green = connected to battery and red = connection to ground. It tests battery to relay wiring (30) relay to switch (86) and relay to component (85)

Currently seeing what these lights tell me about the wires, what do you see? Van has crank no start condition. Fuel pump 60 psi, no blown fuses all relays passed a relay tester test.

Simple right? Here it is testing the fuel pump circuitry
Attachments
20210116_115951.jpg
20210116_120147.jpg
Starter enable relay, looks normal to me
20210116_120157.jpg
Tool has the ability to "turn on the component." This is how it looks when "cranking." This is on the starter enable relay, the starter itlsef works.
20210116_120249.jpg
IGN relay, yeah something's not right here.
Original Poster [OP]
OldSchoolNoe
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA): Noel
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: Explorer High-Top

Re: Diagnose With Me

Postby Rod's Trucks » January 16th 2021, 10:14pm

I am not familiar with that specific tool, but it appears to be able to test the circuit of a common Bosch style relay, and manually energize that relay circuit.
Wire #30 is power from fuse block, which will be switched to the load ( Pin #87), when the relay coil ( Pins #85 and #86) are energized.

If the circuit works as it should with the tool, and the relay tests OK, then the only logical result is that the control circuit for the relay is not present to operate the relay.
You will need to trace back up the control wiring to see where the necessary signal is ( should be) coming from.
Also, many of the relays are identical ( look closely at the markings and pin configuration to be sure) . You can easily swap identical relays to test for a possible bad one.
Rod J
Issaquah, WA
Rod's Trucks
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Rod's Trucks has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 32
Alias (AKA): Rod and/or WE7X
Van Model Year: 1998
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Forest Green LS AWD

Postby AstroWill » January 16th 2021, 10:58pm

Looks like a cool tool to have. I couldn't justify the price for me, I would just use a meter and some jumpers :)

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby OldSchoolNoe [OP] » January 16th 2021, 11:17pm

OEM Tools and ATD Tools make the same tool, just a different brand gets stamped on it.

"There should be at least one red, and one green light illuminated, when testing any given circuit. Both the red and green light should not illuminate on any given circuit, as this indicates a short in the circuitry."

Oh so now those pictures are starting to make sense

Fuel Pump Relay - Both lights on for 30 and 86 = There's a short between the relay and the fuel pump switch (I'm assuming it would be ignition key)

Starter Enable Relay - Both lights on for 86 = There's a short between the relay and the starter switch (I'm assuming it would be the ignition key when turned)

IGN Relay - Both Lights on for 85 = There's a short between the relay and component. So what's IGN relay going to? The Ignition control module?

Not shown is the A/C Enable relay(5pin) . Tool says (red 30) (green and red 86) (green 85). There's a short on 86, relay to a/c switch?

Not shown is the A/C Relay (4pin) - (green red 30) (green 86) (green [dim red] 85). There's a short on 30 battery to relay.

I don't care for A/C so I can just leave those relays disconnected. I learned that the wiring to the starter switch is somewhat funky. Anyone agree with me? The ignition key is not the original, previous owner installed a different ignition lock cylinder. I do not know what the "IGN Relay" powers but I'm assuming it is the ICM.
Original Poster [OP]
OldSchoolNoe
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: Explorer High-Top

Postby OldSchoolNoe [OP] » January 19th 2021, 2:19am

Used a test light on ignition switch connections and one of the pins gave a very weak light. I'm fairly certain the ignition switch is bad, before I buy a replacement I just want to make sure you guys agree.
Attachments
20210118_171059.jpg
Nice bright light on black cable indicating ground
20210118_171241.jpg
Very weak connection on green cable
Original Poster [OP]
OldSchoolNoe
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)