Advice Needed: Am I Crazy?

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

Advice Needed: Am I Crazy?

Postby Ram [OP] » January 17th 2021, 6:57pm

Totally newbie/dreamer here.

I've been thinking about getting an AWD Astro/Safari, having it lifted, maybe getting a transfer case added so I'd have a true 4WD low gear and, in dream world, getting a slightly higher roof with some built in storage. This would be for solo road trips (wife's not interested), from long weekends to potentially weeks long when I can find the time.

And now...I've found one for sale fairly near me. It's a 1995 with an S10 transfer case already in place. It's got a 6" lift and is sitting on BFG Mud Terrain tires that look (in photos; haven't seen it in person...yet) to be in great shape. There's a platform in the back, and four plush captains chairs. And...it's got dutch doors (which I dig) and the bumped out top with storage compartments. Ideal, right? But...

This thing already has almost 258,000 miles on it and the asking price is a bit over $6000.

Help! Talk me into it or out of it!

I'll attach a couple of photos so you can laugh or drool as appropriate. If it helps, I'm in Arizona where things like this tend to go for more than in some other regions of the country.

Thanks in advance for any comments.
Attachments
1995-astro-awd-lifted-outside-left-view.jpg
1995-astro-awd-lifted-inside-from-rear-showing-cargo-area.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
Ram
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Overhauling the Astro - What am I missing?
    by Rando » September 10th 2020, 6:46am in Uncategorized
    8 Replies
    Last post by Leeann_93 View the latest post
    September 11th 2020, 1:21am
  • wiring info needed-overhead console
    by markmitchmarkmitch is online! » December 31st 2020, 5:46pm in Interior
    3 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    January 4th 2021, 6:46pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    February 26th 2021, 5:05pm

Re: Advice Needed: Am I Crazy?

Postby SportsBoy » January 18th 2021, 4:36am

I guess it depends on how much having the lift pre-installed means to you. I don't know what a 250k mile awd in AZ costs, but around here it would be like $1k or less. Pay someone to get the lift and roof rack installed and buy the tires new and you're still not near $6000.

But having a turn-key rig would be sweet.

These engines go a long time, but 250k+ on the original motor and you've got to start budgeting for a replacement. If you factor that into your budget and it works for you, then do it dude.
SportsBoy
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: SportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 23
Alias (AKA): Blake
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD

Postby Huckleberry » January 18th 2021, 5:17am

There's not an Astro on the planet I'd give $6,000 for.
Huckleberry
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: Huckleberry has been a member for 4 full yearsHuckleberry has been a member for 4 full yearsHuckleberry has been a member for 4 full yearsHuckleberry has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 25
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: RWD

Postby markmitchmarkmitch is online! » January 18th 2021, 6:09am

I would very very skeptical about ever putting much of anything on that roof rack. The fiberglass roof underneath is rated at maybe 45 Lbs on those. I had a similar van with the same type roof a few years ago and I called one of the companies that used to build the vans and the guy told me never put a rack on a fiberglass roof. Otherwise it looks pretty nice. Mark
markmitchmarkmitch is online!
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 626
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD

Postby chevymaher » January 18th 2021, 2:05pm

Just remember yes it is in great shape. But at the mileage everything gonna need replaced Bam Bam Bam one right after another. So your not getting out of building one by paying top dollar.

Find one cheap with trans or motor out(broken) already. Since your willing to pay obviously. Stick a new motor and trans in one. Your set for 30 years with only small maintenance items like a new car. And you can get a nice van cheap with motor or trans not working.

My advice do it yourself then you know what you got and you can trust it.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby AstroOafAdventurer » January 18th 2021, 2:14pm

I like it but wouldn't necessarily buy it.
I like that it's a 95, I like the high top and lifted AWD.
But as above, I wouldn't load much of anything in that FG roof basket, in fact I'd look at removing it.
Aside from the engine and trans, you have 25 years of $.05 & $.10 accumulation.
Door seals, locks, handles, switches, leaking conversion van windows.
Mine was a conversion van that I bought not long ago and had a musty smell inside I chalked off to a 23 YO vehicle that's sat for last several years.
As I was gutting it I found one of the conversion van windows leaking, luckily no mold or rust.
97 Astro Conversion Van 62k 64k miles
AstroOafAdventurer
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Thorsteenster
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: RWD Conversion Van

Postby Ram [OP] » January 18th 2021, 5:59pm

Thanks for the advice. I figured this'd be the right place to get some honest opinions! Not sure yet which direction I'll go, so am happy to hear more thoughts. I was hoping to get down to see it today (a day off for me), but timing didn't work out...or maybe he's selling it to someone else. That'd solve my dilemma.
Original Poster [OP]
Ram
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 AWD

Postby sixsix » January 18th 2021, 10:46pm

It's a '95 and it used to be a "Conversion Van"

But... 'Looks' good...

"Ban gerrymandering" out 1 side, then says, "We really need to get rid of the electoral college for starters, there is no way in hell that the person that receives fewer votes wins, simply crazy."
So only CAL, ILL & NY Elects

sixsix
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby AstroWill » January 18th 2021, 11:37pm

Cool looking ride.

If it's what you want and it's in great shape... But that is a lot of miles and I think it's a bit overpriced. DIY lift costs you ~$500 if you do it all yourself, probably a little more if you order a 'kit'. Figure in another $200 or so for a transfer case swap. I'm sure you could find a nice low mileage conversion van for cheaper, do the lift and have money left over.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby Leeann_93 » January 19th 2021, 4:04am

Yep. I think that's a bit much for that van.

You could get a '95 van for far under $1k, then put $3k into it to make it yours and still be ahead of that 'deal' - it's just too much.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby stent » January 19th 2021, 7:00am

Ram wrote:This thing already has almost 258,000 miles on it and the asking price is a bit over $6000.

:obscene-sexualbutt: :obscene-sexualkyjelly: :obscene-sexualbutt: :obscene-sexualkyjelly:
:obscene-sexualbutt: :obscene-sexualkyjelly: :obscene-sexualbutt: :obscene-sexualkyjelly:
stent
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: stent has been a member for 3 full yearsstent has been a member for 3 full yearsstent has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: rwd cargo

Postby Huckleberry » January 21st 2021, 6:31am

Personally, I'd never do business with a man who'd throw
his wife under the bus the way that guy did in his ad.
Huckleberry
Years of Membership: Huckleberry has been a member for 4 full yearsHuckleberry has been a member for 4 full yearsHuckleberry has been a member for 4 full yearsHuckleberry has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 25
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: RWD

Postby gavio » January 21st 2021, 3:44pm

Personally, I'd never do business with a man who'd throw
his wife under the bus the way that guy did in his ad.

X2
2004 Safari, 4 inch lift, NP-231 t-case, 255/70/16 BFGs, home-brewed pop top, full camper, on-board propane, lions and tigers and bears, oh my.....
gavio
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: gavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 77
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: AWD

Postby AstroWill » January 21st 2021, 5:03pm

Where is it listed?

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years

Postby stent » January 21st 2021, 10:24pm

AstroWill wrote:Where is it listed?

Phoenix craigslist
dork.jpg
stent
Years of Membership: stent has been a member for 3 full yearsstent has been a member for 3 full yearsstent has been a member for 3 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby stent » January 22nd 2021, 1:09am

hey ram,
journeys offroad is in prescott and they do custom work. consider finding a nice stocker & getting to know them.
astro.png
astro.png (234.87 KiB) Viewed 363 times

:text-link: https://www.journeysoffroad.com/index.html
lift-4x4_orig.png
stent
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » January 22nd 2021, 6:38am

stent wrote:
AstroWill wrote:Where is it listed?

Phoenix craigslist

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/ ... 48037.html
Thanks!

Yeah, I would say that it's still overpriced.

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby markmitchmarkmitch is online! » January 22nd 2021, 4:29pm

I agree -to much money for that one and I also agree with the under the bus thing. Come get my low mileage 03 and lift it yourself. I'm in NorCal 140k miles. many new and used back up parts go with it. $4k it's yours. Selling do to moving across country soon. Mark
markmitchmarkmitch is online!
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 626
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD