Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

getting my 89 Astro back to New England

5K views 53 replies 15 participants last post by  sixsix 
#1 ·
So when I move to california I moved here with a penske truck and car hauling trailer with my Astro on the trailer. Now it looks like we will be moving back to NH next spring/early summer since we have a buyer for the California home. But Penke does not rent just the trailer and we do not need the truck. I checked with Uhaul and the trailer alone is 1200+ and there website says the total weight to be on there trailer is 5k but my van weighs close to 6k and it says our ford e350 with the 10 cylinder is not (in there book) a good vehicle to tow the trailer and van together. Any ideas? its a 3040 mile trip. Would it be safe to just do it if I can get the trailer? No clue as to why Penske trailers can do it but u- hauls can not?

#28 ·
LOL, guess we have to start adding standard disclaimers around here.
Warning: Contents of coffee cup may be hot.

markmitch said:
I posted the link that shows the laws for flat towing in all us states. My van is over 3000 lbs so it is not legal.
Mark, while you have decided to go another route, I was just stating an option. It IS in fact legal with the proper tow bar and braking setup.

Anyway, if this comes up in search here are a couple examples, a tow-bar that has the brake system built in, and an add-on as well:
https://amzn.to/3nhCRHT
https://amzn.to/3rURUuG

There are more, but they are a simple google search away for those that care to find them.

And they even have the emergency brakeaway as required by a lot of states. https://amzn.to/3bh3ZV2

#29 ·
Oh I know you can buy them for more weight I was talking about the u haul bars, it really does not make much sense to buy a bar for a one time use. But I appreciate your help. We still have time to figure this all out. We are currently looking at a southern home for winter so if that happens we may just rent a moving truck and trailer like we did 7 years ago when we moved here.

#30 ·
markmitch said:
Oh I know you can buy them for more weight I was talking about the u haul bars, it really does not make much sense to buy a bar for a one time use. But I appreciate your help. We still have time to figure this all out. We are currently looking at a southern home for winter so if that happens we may just rent a moving truck and trailer like we did 7 years ago when we moved here.
I don't think U-haul does tow bars, only tow dollies and trailers. Sure, it may not make sense for a 1 time use unless it's $500 to rent what you need. Or purchase one for $1,000(I got mine used but in mint condition) to $1500, then sell it like I did. Then you get to use it for $0 or even make money on it. Either way, just giving options. Of course if you are renting a $3,000+ U-haul already, what is a few extra $$.

Tow Bar:
towbar.jpg

Tow Dolly:
towdolly.jpg

Trailer:
cartrailer.jpg

#31 ·
markmitch said:
And most tow bars are rated at 5000 lbs and my van weighs is closer to 6000 lbs.
Was just thinking about this today after towing another van home recently. Have you weighed your van? Should easily be under 4500lbs, maybe you are looking at GVW(Gross Vehicle Weight) instead of curb weight?
With your shorty, probably closer to 4,000lbs

#32 ·
OK so I spoke to a guy on facebook that used a dolly from uhaul to tow an Astro from New York to Florida and never had an issue with the towing or the police. I have a friend back in New Hampshire that has a tow dolly he bought and he offered to sell it to me next time I go to NH again. So we are going to drive there come spring with both our truck and the new(to us) 03 Astro. I will be towing a pop up camper I use to haul stuff with tools and parts inside. The trailer and truck will be left in NH and I can tow the empty car dolly back to California so it is here when we actually move. We have a 97 ford e350 with a 10 cylinder engine. I will use it to tow my Astro to NH with the dolly. I will remove my drive shafts as needed and install two donut spares on the front. This is the plan for now. I may also buy some towing lights to put on the top of my van and plug them into the ford.

#33 ·
My van will most likely be towed on a u haul dolly from California to New Hampshire by the Ford e350 in April /May
I will load my tools into the Silverado and tow a pop up camper to New Hampshire in March get there unload park the camper and the truck then after a week or so fly back to California. Then what ever we decide to take to NH will be loaded into the ford then load the Astro on the dolly and drive one more time. This way the ford will not be loaded down and towing. I still need to go to pick n pull and get an extra donut spare tire. The tires that were on my 98 parts van are very new and two of them will be on the rear of my Astro-I will get new tires after the move once its drivable again. Thanks for all the help. Mark

#35 ·
Using the u-haul dolly my friend in NH sold the dolly he had, so u haul it is. turn a five day trip into a 6 or 7 just to be safe. Why rush could be the last move like this for me due to health issues. Even if we bu a home in Texas of where ever my van and tools are staying in NH. I will put them in my will for my oldest stepson since he is the only car guy in my family. He has a 11 second Mazda RX7.

#36 ·
With that E350 just buy a good used 7000# car hauler trailer.
With the mountains and high winds across WY & NE trying to dolly tow will be challenging and stressful.

Don't need the trailer after the move. Craigslist it to recoup some $$$

As far as flat towing is concerned.
Properly rated towbar and safety chains with working lights on rear of towed vehicle.
Remove front bumper and use bumper mount holes to build hitch crossmember to attach towbar.

#37 ·
MI_Ghost said:
With the mountains and high winds across WY & NE trying to dolly tow will be challenging and stressful.

Properly rated towbar and safety chains with working lights on rear of towed vehicle.
Remove front bumper and use bumper mount holes to build hitch crossmember to attach towbar.
Haha - save your breath.

#38 ·
sixsix said:
MI_Ghost said:

Haha - save your breath.
Still waiting to exhale :rolling:

#39 ·
not sure how flat towing verses dolly towing would be that much different to be honest. Buying a tow bar then modifying it would be more hassle since I only have a 110 mig welder which is not enough to weld something that strong in my opinion. As far as the dolly if there is wind blowing that strong then I will have to go slow or stop for the night early.

#41 ·
markmitch said:
not sure how flat towing verses dolly towing would be that much different to be honest.... As far as the dolly if there is wind blowing that strong then I will have to go slow or stop for the night early.
Dolly towing creates an additional pivot point that makes more slop/movement in the towing connection. I often see people dolly towing totally oblivious to the fact that the vehicle they are towing is swaying like a fishes tail behind them. I have even seen wrecks were the towed vehicle swayed enough to cause the driver to lose control.

When you cross WY and see all the big fence like objects. Those are wind breaks. 25-30 mph winds are the normal light winds. NE does not have any wind breaks. Not even trees! Even a semi truck does the white knuckle dance in those winds. April is still winter across the Sierras an Wasatch ranges. Watch the weather and drive safe. Plan on a 6-8 day trip towing with a dolly.

As a OTR truck driver for 30 years it is a safety issue to me. I've said my peace. You will do as you wish. Enough said.

#40 ·
markmitch said:
not sure how flat towing verses dolly towing would be that much different to be honest.... As far as the dolly if there is wind blowing that strong then I will have to go slow or stop for the night early.
Dolly towing creates an additional pivot point that makes more slop/movement in the towing connection. I often see people dolly towing totally oblivious to the fact that the vehicle they are towing is swaying like a fishes tail behind them. I have even seen wrecks were the towed vehicle swayed enough to cause the driver to lose control.

When you cross WY and see all the big fence like objects. Those are wind breaks. 25-30 mph winds are the normal light winds. NE does not have any wind breaks. Not even trees! Even a semi truck does the white knuckle dance in those winds. April is still winter across the Sierras an Wasatch ranges. Watch the weather and drive safe. Plan on a 6-8 day trip towing with a dolly.

As a OTR truck driver for 30 years it is a safety issue to me. I've said my peace. You will do as you wish. Enough said.

#43 ·
We bought an RV in Dec '18. Our Safari has been a toad for about 10K miles. It's 2wd, I was given a (what used to be) Remco driveshaft disconnect coupler. This was on a shaft for a Chevy truck, I went to salvage yard and found an Astro/Safari driveshaft identical to mine - took that and the shaft with coupler on it to a driveline shop to have it put on. I wanted to save my original. I don't have any of the parts to operate it from inside van, but if I did I wouldn't bother. 15 seconds i can slide under van and snap spring-loaded coupler to desired position. It is right in front of yoke on rear axle. I did run wiring and diodes to use van rear brake/turn/tail lights from connection to RV. Other than that turn ignition out of "lock" position so steering wheel can move and disconnect battery. Bought a Roadmaster base plate for van from etrailer.

#44 ·
how does the baseplate bolt to the frame of the Astro van? which tow bar did you use and can you explain the lights wiring a little better? I have to get my 89 Astro to New Hampshire from Nor-Cal in April. Appreciate the help.
Any other pointers are much appreciated.

#45 ·
It bolts to the front subframe at the sides, and also at the front.
I was given a used BlueOx towbar by the same guy that gave me the Remco disconnect. Roadmaster I think is the only baseplate still avail for these vans. Etrailer had an adapter to go from Roadmaster baseplate to BlueOx towbar.

As for the lights all I am using is a 4 flat connector. Just ran a male 4 flat (trailer end connector) from front bumper under van securely. Came up thru passenger rear quarter, across back under interior trim piece at rear and spliced into factory taillight harness in driver's side rear panel. The diodes (also from Etrailer) were necessary for the turn signals to work. Tried without and backfeeding caused both to flash regardless. Also isolates from the van power for the lights.

#46 ·
I will be using a tow dolly simply because the tow bar system has to have brakes on the towed vehicle by law if the towed vehicle is over 3000 lbs. Which my van weighs in at approximately 3400 lbs. I am driving down south to get on I 40 which will take me across to I-95 area then up to NH. To avoid the high winds /ice on I-80 in April. It will add a few extra days to my trip but as long as I make it I will be happy. But Thanks for the tips.

#47 ·
markmitch said:
my van weighs is closer to 6000 lbs.
markmitch said:
Which my van weighs in at approximately 3400 lbs.
Please, please, PLEASE let me know what kind of diet you put your van on. I knew those rear bench seats were heavy, but I didn't think they were THAT heavy.

#50 ·
OK so after some considerable time going over routes of travel in April , weather conditions , traffic using a dolly for approximately $500 to rent verses the internet quote of $1150 to rent a trailer. I was going to use a tow dolly and go I-40 from the southern California area across the southern parts of the country. This route is much nicer weather wise BUT that adds 2 days and many more miles to my trip which in turn would cost more money and wear and tear on both vehicles
So I was at a local hardware store today and they do the u-haul thing so I got a quote for the trailer instead of the dolly and guess what? For some reason its $380 dollars cheaper then the only price for the same dang trailer. So if I get the trailer going I - 80 all the way to New York with my van on a trailer won't be a problem. So after all this A trailer it will be. I will post when I am on my way (1st week of April)

#51 ·
Yes, and you can carry other stuff on the trailer, and enclosed in the van.
I brought home a couple of long ladders and some long lumber on a trailer under a Mercedes, that was coming this way behind a relatively short rental van.
Have a safe trip...and that is a direct order! :pray:
Rod J.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.