Power Steering Removal Difficulties

Power Steering Removal Difficulties

Postby arian [OP] » January 28th 2021, 6:03am

Hey all,

Just bought a '95 Astro, AWD, 180k miles; I got it for a killer deal, but with that, a few problems to take care of. My first series of jobs include the water pump, front breaks, and the power steering pump.
So I've picked up everything I need, got to the pump, took it off the bracket, but I can't get enough clearance to get to the hoses in the back. I've seen that removing the bracket seems to make everything easier, but my bracket doesn't match up with newer models (with the 4 bolts and a nut) so I want to make sure I do this correctly. I attached an image of the bracket. The blue bolts seem to be the ones holding the ac compressor to the bracket. Do I just need to remove the six bolts and hang the compressor with a bungee?
I've scoured through the forum and other resources but can't quite get the information I need, so any tips regarding the issue at hand, other jobs, or general advice regarding the van is welcomed and well appreciated.

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_0542.jpeg
Original Poster [OP]
arian
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Power Steering Removal Difficulties

Postby AstroWill » January 28th 2021, 7:52am

arian wrote:Do I just need to remove the six bolts and hang the compressor with a bungee?

Yes, remove the bolts for the AC compressor, but don't disconnect the lines at all. That will allow you to move the bracket and get enough room for the rest.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby arian [OP] » January 28th 2021, 10:14am

Awesome, I believe I saw you say the same thing in another post, thank you for the clarification. Those top two bolts facing towards the engine look like they’re going to be a pain.
Original Poster [OP]
arian
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby arian [OP] » February 10th 2021, 7:31am

AstroWill wrote: Yes, remove the bolts for the AC compressor, but don't disconnect the lines at all. That will allow you to move the bracket and get enough room for the rest.

Hey Will, want to thank you for your help here and on my other post as well. I'm having some trouble with my serpentine belt now that I've gotten everything back together. It pops off whenever I try to start the car. My best guess is that my power steering pump pulley does not seem to be aligned with everything else. I've removed the pulley from the pump and have tried to remount it, but it still seems to sit a little too far forward and the pulley won't go any further in. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks
Original Poster [OP]
arian
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » February 10th 2021, 8:13pm

Hmm, have a picture of how it sits right now? One from top down and one of the front of the pulley would be great.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years

Postby MmusicmanMmusicman is online! » February 10th 2021, 9:54pm

Yes.. if the PS pulley is not seated correctly, it will likely throw the belt.
Of course, it is assumed the bracket is mounted square on the block.

Last time I did mine.. I used a straight-edge/square to be certain it all lined up.
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
MmusicmanMmusicman is online!
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby arian [OP] » February 10th 2021, 11:07pm

Mmusicman wrote:Yes.. if the PS pulley is not seated correctly, it will likely throw the belt.
Of course, it is assumed the bracket is mounted square on the block.

Last time I did mine.. I used a straight-edge/square to be certain it all lined up.
AstroWill wrote:Hmm, have a picture of how it sits right now? One from top down and one of the front of the pulley would be great.

Planning on doing some further investigation today, I'll take some pictures. I've reinstalled the pulley a few times, I don't think its a seating issue at this point. The block is worth looking into, I did make sure to tighten all the bolts evenly so it sits flush, hopefully that isn't the issue. I've read that the pulley shaft could be a different length (compared to the original), I'm going to take measurements there. If that's the issue I'm thinking of adding washers between the pump and bracket to align the pulley.
Original Poster [OP]
arian
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » February 11th 2021, 3:02am

Shaft length doesn't matter as long as you can hit the spot where everything is in alignment. It's designed so that there can be some adjustment, can't just put it flush with the shaft and call it good.

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby arian [OP] » February 11th 2021, 7:03am

AstroWill wrote:Shaft length doesn't matter as long as you can hit the spot where everything is in alignment. It's designed so that there can be some adjustment, can't just put it flush with the shaft and call it good.

IMG_0613.jpg
AC to PS

AC to PS, pulleys look to be in line here

IMG_0615.jpg
Fan to PS

IMG_0618.jpg
Crankshaft vs PS

Looks like the PS pulley is too far forward

IMG_0641.jpeg
Idler Pulley

When I start the car with the belt installed, the belt slips off the idler pulley.

IMG_0644.PNG
Belt Tensioner to AC

Hard to tell if the belt tensioner and AC pulleys are out of line. My best guess is that the PS pulley or the bracket is the issue. The thing that throws me off is that the belt is coming off the idler pulley. Since the AC and PS seem to be lined up, I'd guess that the whole bracket is too far forward, but after sticking my phone in the nooks and crannies around the bracket, there doesn't really look like there is any room for it to move back.
Attachments
IMG_0643.PNG
Back of PS Pump
Original Poster [OP]
arian
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby MmusicmanMmusicman is online! » February 11th 2021, 7:15am

You can't just go by visual...
It's needs to be aligned with a straight edge/square or something equivalent and precise.
Of course measuring technique will greatly affect results.

Have you simply tried to drive the pulley further on?
Is that a gap in your last photo?
Could something be causing the bracket to not be installed properly?
Last edited by MmusicmanMmusicman is online! on February 11th 2021, 7:19am, edited 1 time in total.
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years

Postby arian [OP] » February 11th 2021, 7:19am

Mmusicman wrote:You can't just go by visual...
It's needs to be aligned with a straight edge/square or something equivalent and precise.
Of course measuring technique will greatly affect results.

Have you simply tried to drive the pulley further on?

I would measure, but the PS pulley is just so far forward its obvious and the pulley won't go any further.
Original Poster [OP]
arian
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby MmusicmanMmusicman is online! » February 11th 2021, 7:20am

Is that a gap in your last photo?
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby arian [OP] » February 11th 2021, 7:22am

Mmusicman wrote:Is that a gap in your last photo?

From the bracket to the block, yes; but, it's less than a few mm and it looks like the points where the bolts meet the block are flush.
Original Poster [OP]
arian
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby CarpeDiem » February 11th 2021, 7:38am

Watch for an errant washer...that got me once.
I've got to do a PS pump change come spring, so I have been listening with interest.
Let us know how it progresses. ;)
CarpeDiem
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: CarpeDiem has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA): Greg
Van Model Year: 1996
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: V6 RWD passenger

Postby AstroWill » February 11th 2021, 5:40pm

That pulley is way forward, why will it not go deeper on the shaft?

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby WinnieVan » February 11th 2021, 5:56pm

How are you installing the pulley? With an install tool? That PS pulley needs to go WAY further down to get into alignment -- at least based on the picture of the alignment with the crank pulley.

Are you certain you got the right part? Did your new PS pump come with a new pulley?
WinnieVan
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: WinnieVan has been a member for 4 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 4 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 4 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 64
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004

Postby arian [OP] » February 11th 2021, 11:37pm

WinnieVan wrote:How are you installing the pulley? With an install tool? That PS pulley needs to go WAY further down to get into alignment -- at least based on the picture of the alignment with the crank pulley.

Are you certain you got the right part? Did your new PS pump come with a new pulley?

I'm using an install tool. Its the pump my local shop said would fit, rock auto carries the same one under 95 Astro.https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=7045888&cc=1028067&jsn=2936

It didn't come with a new pulley, maybe I should try a new one? Worst case I get the same result and return it.

AstroWill wrote:That pulley is way forward, why will it not go deeper on the shaft?

I've tried removing and re-installing the pulley a few times now, that just as far as it seems to want to go.
Original Poster [OP]
arian
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » February 11th 2021, 11:50pm

But is the pulley bottoming out, or are you just putting it on until it's flush with the end of the shaft?

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby arian [OP] » February 11th 2021, 11:54pm

AstroWill wrote:But is the pulley bottoming out, or are you just putting it on until it's flush with the end of the shaft?

I'm going until the pulley bottoms out, which at that point is not flush with the end of the shaft. I just removed the pulley and measured the shaft with a caliper. It looks like the new pumps shaft is 3mm longer than the original.
Original Poster [OP]
arian
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » February 12th 2021, 12:07am

In that case it sounds like maybe they had the correct box but the wrong pump. Never had one that wouldn't line up.

All three front pump bolts in properly?

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Next