Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

What have you done to/with your van today?

1M views 17K replies 709 participants last post by  The GOZ 
#1 ·
The Jeep forum I'm on has this thread. Thought I'd bring it here. The idea is to post quick little things that really aren't special enough to have their own thread.

I go first.

Seven (my new parts van): Removed the rear drive shaft and mounted two donuts in the front. Then towed it to my brothers house.

Loaded up nicely, once Grumpy was used to shove it up the ramps.

Uhaul thinks we're moving a Dodge Neon. They won't rent tow dollies to move an Astro, they are supposed to be too wide.

The only good reason to use donuts on an Astro.

Plenty of room now.

We didn't bring Grumpy to the unload point and couldn't push Seven off the dolly. Our solution, set it's parking brake and pull the dolly out from under it. Worked beautifully. Unfortunately I didn't take pics or video of that.

See less See more
#16,402 ·
Yeah if it ends up being the spider gears(not-uncommon) there is no setup required, pull out the old, clean EVERYTHING really REALLY well, then reassemble. Once you start changing the carrier, then you will have to learn to setup or pay someone to set up the new carrier.
I had that happen on a van I bought cheap from a nice Boston lady. Was ~$100 for the spider gears + gasket and lube, did the replacement in her yard and drove it home. Can be had as cheap as $60 https://amzn.to/3795QZt

Another place to check out is https://www.car-part.com/ for junkyards. But if it's just the spider gears, it's a cheap and easy fix that anyone can do.

#16,403 ·
Back in my younger more abusive days.. I used to break and replace spider gears all the time.
In fact, I still have a bucket full of them.. some broke, some good. lol
Just pop them in and off I'd go!

#16,405 ·
If that pinion looks as chewed up as I think it does, yeah you're going to need new gears and a setup. Several hundred bucks anywhere. Sorry.
I would get a junkyard rear w the same ratio and get a garage to swap the rears. Doesn't take a particularly skilled garage either.
Ask for further assistance as you deal with junkyard or garages.

Thanks for the carnage views!

#16,406 ·
What is the ratio? I have a 3.42 just taking up space in my shop. It came out of a Astro 99.. I know it was an open diff. I just took the whole third member out of the housing and dunked in a bucket of used motor oil. I would loan you an axel, but the two spares I have are not for sale. I may be off course but if I can help I will. Ken

#16,407 ·
Yesterday Friday, 2002 RWD
Approaching an intersection there was NASTY whining screaching from engine, dashboard went whacky, BATT light and steam.
Sitting at light I shut it down. Coolant all over the ground. Low Batt (clicks no start).

AAA towed down the block to local shop, at least water pump. They gave an estimate of $1200 with hoses which seemed REALLY high.
walked home. Nosed around on line and called another local shop all of which averaged guestimates of $500-$700.

Very near other long-time shop here blind-quoted $680.
talked to both mechanics And let things sit till this morning.
Second shop said he already ordered and had pump and hoses from yesterday's talk (??!!)
Hemming and hawing and finally decided to pay Shop-1 for estimate time and use another AAA Magic Spell Tow and get to the second shop.
things are going well this morning with phone calls, organization and getting van moved... all from home.

fingers crossed about The Right Decision... and Any Other Damage Issues...

#16,409 ·
Yeah Walker that pinion is toast. If you need to, the ring gear will have numbers printed on the outer edge somewhere to find the ratio.
You're in for complete r&r or replacement. I bought used on fleabay some years ago after having 2 different shops repair the rear in my '97. That was the new to my '93 rear end I did the r&r on this summer. I like the Tru Trac alot... The snow we had about a week ago caused me no issue though I don't have a driveway like yours. My street has a 1/10 th mile grade before my house that will stop most w/o AWD, I manage w/ snow tires and experience. With the TT as long as I stay off the loud pedal, the locker w/ snows on back pull me up like it were dry pavement. Having had it in this summer I had a chance to learn in the wet, I can spin this thing on a dime in a puddle of pee.
I lucked out buying this rear online, it was shipped here from the midwest, IIRC it took 10-14 days from the "buy it now" till it was in my truck. That includes the time I spent on the r&r I did on the '97 new brake cylinders, hardware, axle bearings, hard lines on the axle, clean and paint and also the "franken pack" springs I put under it. Considering the loads I carried on it in the '97 when I put it in the '93 finding only the spider to be chewy was a pleasant surprise.
Did you know it is possible to carry 3/4 yard of stone in an astro? w/ tools and shelves full of hardware? :eek:

john v, water pump only or is a lower intake manifold in there too?

#16,410 ·
Oh yea, going to need a complete rebuild or replacement. Guess it's going to depend on what works the best for you, either finding a replacement axle or buying the parts and having new internals.
Normally I would say find a good used axle at a JY and slap it on there but if you are having difficulty finding one then maybe new internals is the way to go.

johnv said:
If it's possible to do it yourself, can do it pretty cheap and it's not difficult, don't even have to lay on the ground ;) Could DIY for ~$100

#16,412 ·
We have had several inches of snow this weekend ( near Seattle), and I have had the joy of checking my AWD operation. This is the first time I have really been able to try it out in a decent snow fall. One winter it spent most of the time my shop for some electrical modifications and other work, and one winter we were in Florida. Usually it is just used on muddy forest roads. It is nice to be able to say for sure it works as expected.

I found a steep snow covered hill and stopped part way up.
Put it in 1st gear and stepped down lightly the gas... and saw snow tossed up from the driver side front tire. After backing off the gas, we went up the hill with virtually no hesitation and no noticeable wheel spin.
I have owned and driven 4x4 Subarus since the early 1980's ( BRAT',s wagons, and sedans). I was expecting a good solid feel and I was not disappointed. I know I was expecting it to feel good, but was still impressed by how well mannered it was in the snow.
A good day!
Rod J

#16,415 ·
The Snow is Just Beautiful - Really ! Got about 16-20" of nice base powder with a bit of ice for speed.
Come on up - got power too!

I just have to recall how miserable I was at times living in Florida.
But then again, I grew up there and lived there for a year again not too long ago.

It's just as inexplicably HOT and humid there now most of the time just like it was when I grew up.
If you do not live where Music does or have his "Jobs", life in Florida is atrocious.
Not unlike Calif. anymore.

You have never seen roaches that big... unless you were stationed at Bien Hoa, S Viet Nam.
And there is water everywhere... I mean, everywhere. Yup, even there.

Idiot tourists, stupid people, most of them over 143 and from NY/NJ.
And then there is the "out of countryers".

Having to go there to get on a Cruise Ship is near torture.

But, hey, it's 75 deg.

Wonderful - so am I - in the living room as I watch the news - got nowhere to go anyway.
Did you know Uber will bring Beer ?
They Shop Well!!

:banana-dreads: :banana-dreads: :banana-dreads: :banana-dreads:

#16,417 ·
Mmusicman said:
Sorry.. :mrgreen:
No, no you're not...
I moved my father to the west coast, Sarasota around 1985. He wanted me to move south with him but I knew I couldn't handle the heat of summer. At the time I was roofing and here in CT summer meant 140 degrees on a black roof. I couldn't imagine 1100 miles closer to the equator. Winter I could handle here at the time, I've seen many a sunrise while shoveling snow on the job

Now I'm older the warm sunny weather is tempting, I won't get near a roof anymore, find as much interior work as I can, I leave the hard work for the kids.

#16,418 ·
#16,419 ·
Have to admit... she has some beautiful Fish.

And it seems guys ( and girls ) just Love looking at pics and video of Men just as much holding these huge Fish.
It's a riot - like posing in Cambodia w/ a water buffalo-horns bigger than your torso - and cleavage.

#16,420 ·
Replaced rear brakes with Akebono pads, reman calipers, replaced the 3 rear brake hoses, turn rotors.
service rear diff while I was under there.
Got new tires with an alignment Friday and the tech told me it needed rear brakes RIGHT NOW. Boy was he right.
Almost to the metal and I replaced the rears about 30,000 miles ago. I had used Wagner semi-metallic pads. Go figure.
The fronts have been hanging in there for about twice that and they are now at 20% so they will be next.
The Akebono ceramics just last longer. That's what is in the front.

#16,421 ·
johnv said:
If it's possible to do it yourself, can do it pretty cheap and it's not difficult, don't even have to lay on the ground ;) Could DIY for ~$100[/quote]

yes'm... I thought that...
keep tellin me though, I need the pep-talk..
the temp and weather when the WP went made me take the shop-route for that.

doin the same with the ignition issues... even though I have nothin'-but-time. need to get MOTIVATED...

#16,422 ·
Got my axle today. Looks good. I want to clean it up a bit before install and it would be nice to fold and weld the shock mounts now but I kind of need to get it done asap too. I need a garage.....

Hoping I can do the swap without opening up the brakes, no idea if the hard line will clear the axle on removal/install. Might be too difficult without a better set up/extra hands. We'll see.

Attachments

#16,424 ·
The misfire code was getting really old but nothing a new motor and harness wouldn't fix.It wasn't too bad, it only took three days...got held up on the Chinese 3-row alumni radiator and the oil cooler fittings provided not fitting properly otherwise, it would have only been two days. Runs really well passed the emissions test right after the test drive. Love this site, lots of tips to help it get done.
Thanks guys!

Attachments