Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Downward Facing Square U-Bolt Option for Rear Springs

8K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  AstroWill 
#1 ·
I wanted to make a thread about this because I think it is a better option than the u-bolt-plate-on-top option that many people use.

I'm sure plenty won't agree, but I like it because:
1 - You don't have to worry about the u-bolts or plate hitting the unibody (maximum articulation)
2 - Easier to unbolt (for me at least) - my impact doesn't fit in the wheel well to unbolt, but would easily fit in to unbolt from underneath if the rear was jacked up.

This was inspired by posts from user "dit" in this thread - https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 6#p1524716
Here is an example pic -
IMG_0892.jpg

IMG_0897.jpg

The gist of this solution is to use -
- A top plate on top of the springs
- Square u-bolts with threads facing down
- An under-axle saddle or seat of some sort to bolt the ubolts on to and to hold everything securely together.

In dit's example, he used:
- 1/2" thick ubolts, ~3" wide inside, 12" long cut to size
- Stock clamshells cut to form "L" shape - acting as both top plate and spacer on the side (since the springs are 2.5" wide and the bolts were 3" inside).
clm.PNG

- An extra pair of stock astrosafari under axle seats for the u bolts. These have to be grinded down/drilled out since they have pressed-in studs when you take them off the clamshell leaf spring clam assembly on your stock van -
n1.PNG

I am currently working on my install, it involves:
- Ubolt seats and top plates from silverados/sierras in the junkyard.
2021-01-20 22.07.21.jpg

- More metalwork than I thought
- M14 x 1.5 square u bolts (About 9/16 thick, 2.6" inside width, 11" length, 5.8" thread, grade 10.9) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072N ... UTF8&psc=1
sss.PNG

There are certainly some other options for the metal pieces used in this mod - surely there are other trucks you could take parts from. Like this axle seat from a tundra would probably work for example -
Capture.PNG

Here are some of my progress pics - you'll see what I mean when I said it has been more metal work than I'd thought.
2021-01-17 12.42.10.jpg

2021-01-17 14.40.31.jpg

2021-01-17 14.40.34.jpg

2021-01-17 15.07.26.jpg

2021-01-17 15.07.36.jpg

2021-01-17 15.07.54.jpg

2021-01-17 15.08.31.jpg

I'm not done yet obviously, but I think that dit kind of had the perfect setup with how he did it. With the astrosafari under axle saddle thingers and 2-7/8 or 3" wide square u bolts, it would be far less work drilling and getting things to fit. The two holes could be drilled just a bit more towards the leaf spring perch than the stock holes, rather than having to measure for new holes at a different distance and having to drill on an angle the whole time. Plus no messing with the other side of the leaf spring perch.
It wasn't too bad doing it with the axle out of the van, but most people will do this without removing the rear end of course, so it would kind of stink to do it the way I did it. Plus having to grind/drill the perches at all isn't ideal (considering that this weakens them somewhat). That's why I think dit's way would be better.

Who else has done their rear leafs like this? What is your setup and what was/has been your experience with it?
(I am using 22-687hd s-10 springs with this for my rear lift btw)

See less See more
#27 ·
There are rubber isolators both top and bottom of the stock springs as well as thin metal sleeves of some sort. I recently took the stock springs completely apart from my 98 parts van and kept all the parts to have when I rebuild my springs. I am rebuilding mine for now and hope to replace with S-10 springs in the future. But I want to do something similar to what Sportsboy did first now then when I can buy new ones its a simple swap.

#28 ·
Leaf Spring Insulator

Top (Clamshell to spring)
INSULATOR. Spring Rebound
Part Number: 15703602
Supersession(s): 15692363

Bottom (Axle to spring)
INSULATOR. Spring Rebound
Part Number: 15703604
Supersession(s): 15692364

Polyureathane Replacement
Chevrolet Camaro 1968 thru 1969| Multi-Leaf Rear Spring Pads |
Energy Suspension 3.6112
Prothane 71708
4 - 6059 Pads (2 Upper and 2 Lower)
Red/Black

#29 ·
Awesome work man, looks great!

Mmusicman said:
Much better than stock I'd say.

Good job... as well as good job with documentation and photos.
x2
Should have been that way from the factory IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.