What have you done to/with your van today?

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

Re: What have you done to/with your van today?

Postby Rockridge » February 13th 2021, 3:04am

WoodButcher wrote:Open it up, if just the spider has failed you might be able to drop in a locker?

Did the r/r this summer on my '93. Big brakes, steel springs and Detroit tru trac and found the spider of my new/old gen 2 rear to be pretty bad w/ lots of chips n' bits on the magnet but the ring and pinion were pristine. Cleaned it out, put in the locker and she worked great.

If you find no damage other than the spider you can call it a reason for upgrade!

Definitely will take a look tomorrow. fingers crossed it's not Nuked!

It still rolls pretty easily with no nasty noises so maybe it's not completely boogered up?

How do you like the Tru Track, any time in the snow with it?
Rockridge
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Rockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 50
Alias (AKA): Walker
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • No Start, Here's What I've Done
    by zippy » January 16th 2021, 7:46am in Engines
    22 Replies
    Last post by zippy View the latest post
    January 19th 2021, 9:25pm
  • Anyone modded or done anything unique with their ashtray?
    by SportsBoy » March 20th 2021, 9:09pm in Interior
    8 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    March 24th 2021, 6:19am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 14th 2021, 3:03am

Postby AstroWill » February 13th 2021, 4:50am

Yeah if it ends up being the spider gears(not-uncommon) there is no setup required, pull out the old, clean EVERYTHING really REALLY well, then reassemble. Once you start changing the carrier, then you will have to learn to setup or pay someone to set up the new carrier.
I had that happen on a van I bought cheap from a nice Boston lady. Was ~$100 for the spider gears + gasket and lube, did the replacement in her yard and drove it home. Can be had as cheap as $60 https://amzn.to/3795QZt

Another place to check out is https://www.car-part.com/ for junkyards. But if it's just the spider gears, it's a cheap and easy fix that anyone can do.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby Mmusicman » February 13th 2021, 1:12pm

Back in my younger more abusive days.. I used to break and replace spider gears all the time.
In fact, I still have a bucket full of them.. some broke, some good. lol
Just pop them in and off I'd go!
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby Rockridge » February 13th 2021, 1:23pm

PXL_20210213_120449987.jpg

PXL_20210213_120459308.jpg

PXL_20210213_121015028.jpg

PXL_20210213_125654481.jpg

Going to need to rig up some heat to look for other damage, gear oil is thick!

It looks I'm seeing damage where the gear sits (top of carrier) and the input gear at the back has some chipped geara Looks really chewed up.
Rockridge
Years of Membership: Rockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full years

Postby dcsleeper » February 13th 2021, 2:41pm

If that pinion looks as chewed up as I think it does, yeah you're going to need new gears and a setup. Several hundred bucks anywhere. Sorry.
I would get a junkyard rear w the same ratio and get a garage to swap the rears. Doesn't take a particularly skilled garage either.
Ask for further assistance as you deal with junkyard or garages.

Thanks for the carnage views!
Please update your User Control Panel to include your location!!! it's in the upper right!
Profile | Edit signature

ChevyMaher wrote:If you don't want people saying you suck, which is the truth, stop sucking
dcsleeper
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: dcsleeper has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 21
Alias (AKA): DC
Extra Info: I have 2 1AWD 1RWD

Postby tungtide » February 13th 2021, 3:48pm

What is the ratio? I have a 3.42 just taking up space in my shop. It came out of a Astro 99.. I know it was an open diff. I just took the whole third member out of the housing and dunked in a bucket of used motor oil. I would loan you an axel, but the two spares I have are not for sale. I may be off course but if I can help I will. Ken
Ken
tungtide
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: tungtide has been a member for 2 full yearstungtide has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 27
Alias (AKA): tungtide
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: 2002 LT AWD 1999 LS

Postby johnv » February 13th 2021, 3:58pm

Yesterday Friday, 2002 RWD
Approaching an intersection there was NASTY whining screaching from engine, dashboard went whacky, BATT light and steam.
Sitting at light I shut it down. Coolant all over the ground. Low Batt (clicks no start).

AAA towed down the block to local shop, at least water pump. They gave an estimate of $1200 with hoses which seemed REALLY high.
walked home. Nosed around on line and called another local shop all of which averaged guestimates of $500-$700.

Very near other long-time shop here blind-quoted $680.
talked to both mechanics And let things sit till this morning.
Second shop said he already ordered and had pump and hoses from yesterday's talk (??!!)
Hemming and hawing and finally decided to pay Shop-1 for estimate time and use another AAA Magic Spell Tow and get to the second shop.
things are going well this morning with phone calls, organization and getting van moved... all from home.

fingers crossed about The Right Decision... and Any Other Damage Issues...
johnv
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: johnv has been a member for 6 full yearsjohnv has been a member for 6 full yearsjohnv has been a member for 6 full yearsjohnv has been a member for 6 full yearsjohnv has been a member for 6 full yearsjohnv has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA): JohnnySonic
Van Model Year: 2002
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: added tow and susp

Postby Leeann_93 » February 13th 2021, 5:11pm

Ouch. That was what I was afraid of.

I wouldn't rebuild that; I'd get a replacement from a JY or member here and swap them.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005

Postby WoodButcher » February 13th 2021, 5:15pm

Yeah Walker that pinion is toast. If you need to, the ring gear will have numbers printed on the outer edge somewhere to find the ratio.
You're in for complete r&r or replacement. I bought used on fleabay some years ago after having 2 different shops repair the rear in my '97. That was the new to my '93 rear end I did the r&r on this summer. I like the Tru Trac alot... The snow we had about a week ago caused me no issue though I don't have a driveway like yours. My street has a 1/10 th mile grade before my house that will stop most w/o AWD, I manage w/ snow tires and experience. With the TT as long as I stay off the loud pedal, the locker w/ snows on back pull me up like it were dry pavement. Having had it in this summer I had a chance to learn in the wet, I can spin this thing on a dime in a puddle of pee.
I lucked out buying this rear online, it was shipped here from the midwest, IIRC it took 10-14 days from the "buy it now" till it was in my truck. That includes the time I spent on the r&r I did on the '97 new brake cylinders, hardware, axle bearings, hard lines on the axle, clean and paint and also the "franken pack" springs I put under it. Considering the loads I carried on it in the '97 when I put it in the '93 finding only the spider to be chewy was a pleasant surprise.
Did you know it is possible to carry 3/4 yard of stone in an astro? w/ tools and shelves full of hardware? :o

john v, water pump only or is a lower intake manifold in there too?
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby AstroWill » February 13th 2021, 6:31pm

Oh yea, going to need a complete rebuild or replacement. Guess it's going to depend on what works the best for you, either finding a replacement axle or buying the parts and having new internals.
Normally I would say find a good used axle at a JY and slap it on there but if you are having difficulty finding one then maybe new internals is the way to go.

johnv wrote:Very near other long-time shop here blind-quoted $680.

If it's possible to do it yourself, can do it pretty cheap and it's not difficult, don't even have to lay on the ground ;) Could DIY for ~$100

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years

Postby Rockridge » February 13th 2021, 7:33pm

I found a local shop that could set up the rear end. Have not called yet for cost. Also waiting for more info on a complete axle (3.42 with G80).
Rockridge

Postby Rod's TrucksRod's Trucks is online! » February 14th 2021, 11:51pm

We have had several inches of snow this weekend ( near Seattle), and I have had the joy of checking my AWD operation. This is the first time I have really been able to try it out in a decent snow fall. One winter it spent most of the time my shop for some electrical modifications and other work, and one winter we were in Florida. Usually it is just used on muddy forest roads. It is nice to be able to say for sure it works as expected.

I found a steep snow covered hill and stopped part way up.
Put it in 1st gear and stepped down lightly the gas... and saw snow tossed up from the driver side front tire. After backing off the gas, we went up the hill with virtually no hesitation and no noticeable wheel spin.
I have owned and driven 4x4 Subarus since the early 1980's ( BRAT',s wagons, and sedans). I was expecting a good solid feel and I was not disappointed. I know I was expecting it to feel good, but was still impressed by how well mannered it was in the snow.
A good day!
Rod J
Rod's TrucksRod's Trucks is online!
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Rod's Trucks has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 35
Alias (AKA): Rod and/or WE7X
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: Forest Green LS AWD

Postby SonomaDoug » February 15th 2021, 1:13am

I replaced the idle air control valve this week. This fixed the problem of the van stalling when cold. I thought it might have been caused by a vacuum leak, but did the propane test and found no leaks. Easy repair except for wrestling with the doghouse.
SonomaDoug
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2001

Postby Mmusicman » February 16th 2021, 8:08pm

Drove with my front and rear A/C on... currently 84 here today!
Tropical Caribbean breeze off the ocean helps keep things moderate.
Sorry.. :mrgreen:

hate florida.jpg

Cold front coming...
weather-3-22-14.jpg

100088090_3245962958756212_3815490439998341120_n.jpg
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby sixsix » February 16th 2021, 8:31pm

The Snow is Just Beautiful - Really ! Got about 16-20" of nice base powder with a bit of ice for speed.
Come on up - got power too!

I just have to recall how miserable I was at times living in Florida.
But then again, I grew up there and lived there for a year again not too long ago.

It's just as inexplicably HOT and humid there now most of the time just like it was when I grew up.
If you do not live where Music does or have his "Jobs", life in Florida is atrocious.
Not unlike Calif. anymore.

You have never seen roaches that big... unless you were stationed at Bien Hoa, S Viet Nam.
And there is water everywhere... I mean, everywhere. Yup, even there.

Idiot tourists, stupid people, most of them over 143 and from NY/NJ.
And then there is the "out of countryers".

Having to go there to get on a Cruise Ship is near torture.

But, hey, it's 75 deg.

Wonderful - so am I - in the living room as I watch the news - got nowhere to go anyway.
Did you know Uber will bring Beer ?
They Shop Well!!

:banana-dreads: :banana-dreads: :banana-dreads: :banana-dreads:

I Love Peaches also & Wolverines and Gophers
sixsix
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby sixsix » February 16th 2021, 8:32pm

I do miss her though...

sixsix
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years

Postby WoodButcher » February 17th 2021, 8:28pm

Mmusicman wrote:Sorry.. :mrgreen:

No, no you're not...
I moved my father to the west coast, Sarasota around 1985. He wanted me to move south with him but I knew I couldn't handle the heat of summer. At the time I was roofing and here in CT summer meant 140 degrees on a black roof. I couldn't imagine 1100 miles closer to the equator. Winter I could handle here at the time, I've seen many a sunrise while shoveling snow on the job

Now I'm older the warm sunny weather is tempting, I won't get near a roof anymore, find as much interior work as I can, I leave the hard work for the kids.
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby AstroWill » February 17th 2021, 8:32pm

Mmusicman wrote:
100088090_3245962958756212_3815490439998341120_n.jpg

Do you think that instagram account would be as popular if it was the average fisherman? LOL https://www.instagram.com/bombchelle_fishing/

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby sixsix » February 17th 2021, 9:10pm

Have to admit... she has some beautiful Fish.

And it seems guys ( and girls ) just Love looking at pics and video of Men just as much holding these huge Fish.
It's a riot - like posing in Cambodia w/ a water buffalo-horns bigger than your torso - and cleavage.

sixsix

Postby Bossman » March 1st 2021, 12:08am

Replaced rear brakes with Akebono pads, reman calipers, replaced the 3 rear brake hoses, turn rotors.
service rear diff while I was under there.
Got new tires with an alignment Friday and the tech told me it needed rear brakes RIGHT NOW. Boy was he right.
Almost to the metal and I replaced the rears about 30,000 miles ago. I had used Wagner semi-metallic pads. Go figure.
The fronts have been hanging in there for about twice that and they are now at 20% so they will be next.
The Akebono ceramics just last longer. That's what is in the front.
Bossman
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: Bossman has been a member for 3 full yearsBossman has been a member for 3 full yearsBossman has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 2
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: RWD Cargo

PreviousNext