Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Battery Disconnect Switch

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Patrick C2 
#1 ·
Hi all, been a lurker around here for a while and really enjoy hearing all the expertise in this forum. I am a somewhat new owner of a 2004 Chevrolet Astro, and have been using it on / off for the past 6 months, probably once or twice a month.

I've had issues with my battery requiring jump starts after long periods of inactivity, and I think there might be some parasitic drain on the battery that I will have to address once the weather gets warmer. Until then, and given that I only use this every so often, I am looking to install a battery disconnect switch that will let me easily disconnect the battery without unscrewing the side post terminals.

From my research online, it looks like one of the following is what I need, but I wanted to get a second opinion as I've never used one before. I will make sure to get one that has a instantaneous amp support for up to 1000 amps given my battery cranks at 875, and continuous amps of at least 125.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-74104

https://www.grainger.com/product/FLAMING-RIVER-Battery-Disconnect-Switch-5LPK5

Does anyone here have experience with these, or recommendations on switches that they've used in the past?

See less See more
#3 ·
The one from summit racing is not so good. I had one on my tractor and in no time I had to toss It. The Grainger one is better. Don't have a part number don't even remember where I got it but my Astro also sits and I installed a battery disconnect. Works great for me.

Attachments

#5 ·
Missed this thread a couple days ago...

Since The Van went from DD to Garage & Flower-Fetchin Hiway Demon...
- and considering all the elec crap I unknowingly mangled.
Had to either feed the battery w/ a "Maint. Gadget" or Disconnect it easily and Cheaply.
So - I got this:

1004 Terminal Switch-Front-Install

And The Van lounges in the Garage full time - I can leave the Hood open - Just tightened the Black Knob

Here's where I wrote up about the purchase & install - our '92 build:
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 33#p920833

Mostly pics and Ebl@y price - about $7

#6 ·
An often overlooked piece of useless trivia.
The battery neg cable is attached on the inside of the radiator support. This makes it a perfect spot to place a disconnect on the ground side.

#7 ·
Thanks for all the tips and feedback. I went to my local Autozone this weekend and bought this kill switch:

https://www.autozone.com/ignition/kill-switch/duralast-side-post-knife-switch/815834_0_0

It is a bit bigger profile than the ones you both shared, and due to the battery proximity to the right side of the bay, there is no room for the switch to operate if I connect it to the negative terminal of the battery. From my reading, it seems like people recommend installing these on the negative terminal (including the recommended install instructions of my switch), but I noticed in sixsix's example, his is attached to the positive.

Given that there is much more room on the positive side of the terminal for this switch, do you foresee any issues or danger with putting it on the positive side? It seems like it would work just fine but wanted to get another opinion on it before I try.

#8 ·
Well, I looked at that unit you mentioned at @ut0z0ne also.
Seemed a little light duty on the knife part and the 2 brass swivel & catch parts.
The one we bought - it is heavy 3/16" / 4.5 mm at ALL connection points.

The Knob Bolting it together can stay captive within the disc. part.
I should find a RED knob for it.

I could not find any reason NOT to use the POS. for the disc. and I asked around a few forums before going w/ it.
And as Ghost mentioned you could actually still use the NEG. post / term / wire...

1005 Terminal Switch-Side-Install

Just connect at the backside of the Rad. Support - I have a Yellow term that I added.
- you can see the short ( 10" ) NEG. section laying on the wire conduit and the 1/4-20 nut of grnd # G150.

#9 ·
wisosim said:
It is a bit bigger profile than the ones you both shared, and due to the battery proximity to the right side of the bay, there is no room for the switch to operate if I connect it to the negative terminal of the battery. From my reading, it seems like people recommend installing these on the negative terminal (including the recommended install instructions of my switch), but I noticed in sixsix's example, his is attached to the positive.

Given that there is much more room on the positive side of the terminal for this switch, do you foresee any issues or danger with putting it on the positive side? It seems like it would work just fine but wanted to get another opinion on it before I try.
I don't care for the knife style, but they do work just as well. The problem with putting it on the positive terminal is that you are creating a huge contact area for something to accidentally contact it and create a direct short to ground. Same reason you remove the battery negative first and install it last.

#10 ·
when I disconnect and re-connect my negative battery terminal it of course resets the computer, then when I go to start the engine I get a 'rough start' and have to pump the throttle to keep it running long enough to relearn (about 6-8 seconds)...

I believe this is because the computer has lost the idle programming and has to relearn it. Is this common procedure for these 2000 GMC Safaris?

#11 ·
Mine does the same thing. We pull it behind an RV. I tried a battery disconnect switch, but found it just as easy to disconnect positive cable.
After reconnecting, cycling the key between off and run a few times before starting seems to make for a smoother start.

#12 ·
gotcha. This cycling through the key is the last step and it works. Thanks for posting.

I found out there are ways to keep your computer memory while disconnected from the neg terminal, but it kinda defeats the purpose of why I do it.
Regardless, this works for what I need. I don't mind the clock reset on the radio.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.