Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Should lower radiator hose be this close to belt?

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  sixsix 
#1 ·
While inspecting the underside of my 2000 AWD Astro (2" lift) I noticed the gap between the serpentine belt and the lower radiator hose is really tight. I would estimate 1/8" or a bit more but seems too close to me.
Anyone else notice this or have a belt wear a grove in the lower hose? I don't see how the hose can be moved any farther away. Does a lift change clearance? The picture is from underneath looking up toward the idler pulley

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
It's fairly tight between the frame and the belt.. and this is typical. This is a very unique hose that fits this specific application. There is however, some wiggle room in how the hose can be twisted into place when it is installed on the waterpump, affecting how close it may sit next to the belt.

If you're concerned about it.. you might be able to put some kind of strap or relief to pull it back a little.

#3 ·
It's always pretty close there, and yes a lift would change the relation between the engine and the radiator so that would make a difference, having a longer engine like a v8 in there would also change it.

As long as you have slight clearance there it's not a big deal, the only time it could make contact is if your belt starts to shred.

#4 ·
My lower rad hose looks the same -- with a 3+1 lift. Hasn't been a problem.

It does look like your belt/tensioner might be out of spec though -- if belt is stretched that'd move it marginally closer to the rad hose -- but it is hard to tell from the angle.

Here are the two relevant pics from the service manual -- be sure to click the pictures so you can see the explanatory text about how the belt should sit:

When Installing a new belt:
Belt1.JPG

When installing a used belt:
Belt2.jpg

Now the upper radiator hose on the other hand -- be careful - after a lift that one can hit the belt... don't ask me how I know. Luckily I caught it before it became a problem. Few cable ties later -- and we're safely out of harms way now.

#5 ·
WinnieVan makes an excellent point. As the belt stretches.. the tensioner pulley will reach out further to take up the slack. This would certainly increase the belt angle bringing it possibly closer to the lower hose.

Here's an old photo of mine...
(not necessarily the best angle to show how close the hose is)
But it does seem to show my tensioner pulley extending somewhat outward.
Note however, my belt never made contact with my lower hose.

PS: I never knew that about the indentation mark... learned something new today! :D

20190724_BeltRadiatorHose.jpg

Using the same stock belt with my new larger alternator.. pulley is much further in now...

20200912_111748.jpg

#6 ·
WinnieVan said:
Now the upper radiator hose on the other hand -- be careful - after a lift that one can hit the belt... don't ask me how I know...
LOL! I'm with you there too.. although I never allowed mine to go that far.
Here is a STRAP I made for my custom fitted upper hose (my 92)...
Ironically made out of an old serpentine belt! lol
I have same home-made strap on my lifted 2000 as well... (click photo twice to zoom)

20161022_194501-Radiator Engine 92.jpg

Home-made hose strap... (made from old belt)
20200329_094846HoseStrap.jpg

#8 ·
Mmusicman said:
WinnieVan said:
Now the upper radiator hose on the other hand -- be careful - after a lift that one can hit the belt... don't ask me how I know...
LOL! I'm with you there too.. although I never allowed mine to go that far.
Yeah. I had to replace the upper on my '02 because it had been cut by the belt before I replaced the belt and tensioner. I've never had the lower cut by the belt, but it can be close when the belt stretches.

#9 ·
Thx for all the reply's and I guess I'll just check on that bottom hose occasionally. With only a 2" lift the top hose is fine. I appreciate the new info on the tensioner. I put a 244 alternator on a couple of years ago and took advice from someone on this site regarding a new longer belt and at the same time I put in a new idler pulley. It appears my tension is right on which is nice to know.

Attachments

#10 ·
Yeah that looks good! I have the same alt upgrade and ended up going with a 96.0" belt to stop what become chronic squealing. Mine is probably a bit too tight now -- I think 96.2" is probably the sweet spot -- but I wouldn't mess with it if you aren't have any driveability issues.

#11 ·
WinnieVan said:
My lower rad hose looks the same -- with a 3+1 lift. Hasn't been a problem. ...
Thanks for the pic/diagram.
Interesting... in another post about the Tensioner, I was looking at the one at the Top of the Motor - our '92 / CPI.
I did not know that mark for new and used was on there because older Vans have a different one?

Seems in the Pics there are 2 locations - 'above' or next to & 'below' the Alternator.
And 2 different styles used - depending on yr or Gen or if it's Tues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.