Bart the V8 4wd/Awd Astro

Forum rules
Build topics only! Members are allowed one topic per vehicle in this forum. Topics may only be started by the vehicle owner but all are welcome to reply to the authors project thread.

Re: Bart the V8 4wd/Awd Astro

Postby dcsleeperdcsleeper is online! » February 3rd 2021, 8:16pm

LOVE the little dollies!
Please update your User Control Panel to include your location!!! it's in the upper right!
Profile | Edit signature

ChevyMaher wrote:If you don't want people saying you suck, which is the truth, stop sucking
dcsleeperdcsleeper is online!
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: dcsleeper has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 21
Alias (AKA): DC
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: I have 2 1AWD 1RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 2002 Astro AWD 4inch Lift Camper Conversion
    by Minist3r » November 28th 2020, 6:10pm in Projects/Builds
    1 Replies
    Last post by SportsBoy View the latest post
    November 29th 2020, 4:08am
  • Dutch AWD astro
    by dutch astro driver » November 29th 2020, 12:03pm in Projects/Builds
    31 Replies
    Last post by dutch astro driver View the latest post
    December 22nd 2020, 7:14pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 15th 2021, 8:40am

Postby AstroWill » February 3rd 2021, 8:40pm

Looking great man!

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby Bigforkg [OP] » February 4th 2021, 1:28am

Rockridge wrote:Awesome job so far.
Thanks

markmitch wrote:When you welded the shock mounts on the axle did you do it with the assembly in it or not I ask because I was told one should never weld the rear diff with the guts inside of it due to the heat hurting the bearings and seals. I wish to do some welding on one in the future to change out the way GM designed the leaf spring attachments.
Yes left everything in. The shock mounts were far enough away if you weld one piece let it cool completely then the other side.

dcsleeper wrote:LOVE the little dollies!
They brought the lower control arms 1.5" above the floor. Didn't have to lift the body as high to clear.
Original Poster [OP]
Bigforkg
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Fueling (Full tank)
Fueling (Full tank)
Years of Membership: Bigforkg has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 8
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: V8 4x4 246Tcase

Postby Bigforkg [OP] » February 10th 2021, 3:45pm

Not much done. Spent about 10 hr figuring out a air cleaner and location.
Original Poster [OP]
Bigforkg
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Fueling (Full tank)
Fueling (Full tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Bigforkg [OP] » February 18th 2021, 4:43pm

Finishing up on the air cleaner assembly, still need the end piece. The hardest part was making sure I could get to everything I needed to without taking it off. Like oil dipsticks and brake reservoir and still shut the hood. I used a air filter from the Tahoe. Got lucky again the Tahoe elbow with temp sensor and air filter service indicator along with a silicon 90 worked perfect. I could have made it easier by using a K&N filter but I wont put that crap filter on anything. No I'm not concerned about not having cold air to it.

Now for oil fill, possible passenger side valve cover?
Attachments
DSCN3232.JPG
DSCN3234.JPG
DSCN3231.JPG
Original Poster [OP]
Bigforkg
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Fueling (Full tank)
Fueling (Full tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby sixsix » February 18th 2021, 11:10pm

Nice work - fab stuff and all - we all hope your intake works out.
Not many that draw from that engine compartment do...

I Love Peaches also & Wolverines and Gophers
sixsix
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby Bigforkg [OP] » February 19th 2021, 2:22am

sixsix wrote:Nice work - fab stuff and all - we all hope your intake works out.
Not many that draw from that engine compartment do...

Thanks. The reason Im not worried is when I did the lift and had the 4.3. I used the stock air box but took the cold air duct of because no way would have fit. It sucked under hood air all summer and winter. No issues. Hope your not right this time.
Original Poster [OP]
Bigforkg
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Fueling (Full tank)
Fueling (Full tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby markmitch » February 19th 2021, 6:26am

Why do you think K&N filters are crap? just curious what you knw that I may not about them.
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 629
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD

Postby Bigforkg [OP] » February 19th 2021, 4:28pm

markmitch wrote:Why do you think K&N filters are crap? just curious what you knw that I may not about them.

https://youtu.be/sJ3L-E-ufYo

I've had them in the past and always had some light dust in the air box and hoses after the filter. I thought it was me not getting it set in just right. For 2 filters the same size and 1 flows more air it has to have larger space in the filter material to do that or more pleats. In this video the K&N does not have more pleats or is any larger than the rest. So it must have larger space and that can't trap small dirt particles.
I did look at a replacement K&N and its is smaller than paper filters. About 1.5 in height and 1/2" in diameter for normal duty filters. Heavy duty paper are 1.25" larger in diameter.
Original Poster [OP]
Bigforkg
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Fueling (Full tank)
Fueling (Full tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Rockridge » February 19th 2021, 4:40pm

Looking good with the factory parts.
Rockridge
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Rockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 50
Alias (AKA): Walker
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby AstroWill » February 19th 2021, 9:58pm

markmitch wrote:Why do you think K&N filters are crap? just curious what you knw that I may not about them.

https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 0#p1528394

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby Bigforkg [OP] » February 24th 2021, 3:59pm

Moving along. Maybe get it started today. I want see if I need to fix anything up to this point before I button it up. Air cleaner housing is done except paint. Tahoe Rad hoses are in, only had to trim the upper. Need to finish up a little wiring for the fans. Exhaust is almost in but only to the mufflers. If it starts and runs then Start on the Transfer case wiring. I have it done just route it in the van and find a place for the switch.
Attachments
DSCN3240.JPG
Upper Rad hose installed.
DSCN3242.JPG
DSCN3282.JPG
DSCN3286.JPG
Trans cooler in. Need a new Condenser but that's a few months off.
DSCN3276.JPG
Exhaust going in.
DSCN3261.JPG
Nothing lower than the trans cross member.
DSCN3290.JPG
Original Poster [OP]
Bigforkg
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Fueling (Full tank)
Fueling (Full tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby markmitch » February 24th 2021, 6:15pm

Years ago I had a K&N filter in my K5 blazer but never tried one other then that to me I didn't see reason to spend the money. Thanks for the info Guys. Mark
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 629
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD

Postby Bigforkg [OP] » March 2nd 2021, 2:29am

The 246Transfercase is wired up. All tucked away and read mostly ready. Have 2wd hi, 4wd hi, and 4auto. Just 1 wire Im not sure about. Some how the TCCM needs to know that the trans in in Neutral. I have a green wire f15 from the orange TCCM plug. I believe thats the one but cant confirm it. If anyone knows I sure would be appreciate it.

Last pic is where I thinking about putting the switch. What do you think?
Attachments
DSCN3300.JPG
DSCN3305.JPG
DSCN3312.JPG
The TCCM is the silver box in the middle of the pic.
DSCN3317.JPG
DSCN3321.JPG
Original Poster [OP]
Bigforkg
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Fueling (Full tank)
Fueling (Full tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby gavio » March 2nd 2021, 3:52pm

If you cut off the left part of the bezel, where the neutral indicator light is, you can fit that switch into the spot where the lower part of the center A/C vent is, like so:

dash-center.jpg
2004 Safari, 4 inch lift, NP-231 t-case, 255/70/16 BFGs, home-brewed pop top, full camper, on-board propane, lions and tigers and bears, oh my.....
gavio
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: gavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 77
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD

Postby Bigforkg [OP] » March 3rd 2021, 3:27am

gavio wrote:If you cut off the left part of the bezel, where the neutral indicator light is, you can fit that switch into the spot where the lower part of the center A/C vent is, like so:

dash-center.jpg

I LIKE THAT! I didnt even think about that. Thank you.
Original Poster [OP]
Bigforkg
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Fueling (Full tank)
Fueling (Full tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby gavio » March 3rd 2021, 4:59pm

You're welcome... I made it more elaborate than is absolutely required - I added a second cross piece to the surrounding dash bezel because I wanted it to look just so... But you could just block off the lower part of the duct and simply replace the lower vent with the switch....

Good luck!
2004 Safari, 4 inch lift, NP-231 t-case, 255/70/16 BFGs, home-brewed pop top, full camper, on-board propane, lions and tigers and bears, oh my.....
gavio
Years of Membership: gavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full yearsgavio has been a member for 8 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Bigforkg [OP] » March 3rd 2021, 8:56pm

gavio wrote:You're welcome... I made it more elaborate than is absolutely required - I added a second cross piece to the surrounding dash bezel because I wanted it to look just so... But you could just block off the lower part of the duct and simply replace the lower vent with the switch....

Good luck!

Oh you used the switch as the filler where the lower vent was. No wonder I couldn't find a blank for the vent was today at the pnp.

For your Tcase to go into 4low does the trans need to be put into Neutral? If so how did you wire that? That is the only wire I need to do. But I can not find a wire diagram for a 99 Tahoe. I know its a green wire F15 on the Tccm to the pnp switch. I dont know if the wire is power, signal or completing a ground. Would you know?
Original Poster [OP]
Bigforkg
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Fueling (Full tank)
Fueling (Full tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby sixsix » March 3rd 2021, 10:39pm

Bigforkg wrote: ... For your Tcase to go into 4low does the trans need to be put into Neutral? If so how did you wire that? That is the only wire I need to do. But I can not find a wire diagram for a 99 Tahoe. I know its a green wire F15 on the Tccm to the pnp switch. I dont know if the wire is power, signal or completing a ground. Would you know?

I wonder if the info is available in a '99 Tahoe Owners manual ? ... he may chime in tho.

I Love Peaches also & Wolverines and Gophers
sixsix
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby gavio » March 4th 2021, 1:57am

For your Tcase to go into 4low does the trans need to be put into Neutral?

Yes, it did.... I don't have the 233 any more (I switched to a 231), but back when I installed the electronic shift, I did a writeup, and it talks about that very thing...

https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=61033

I'm pretty sure you need to do the exact same thing to hook up the 236
gavio
Alias (AKA):

PreviousNext