Battery Disconnect Switch

Battery Disconnect Switch

Postby wisosim [OP] » February 22nd 2021, 6:16pm

Hi all, been a lurker around here for a while and really enjoy hearing all the expertise in this forum. I am a somewhat new owner of a 2004 Chevrolet Astro, and have been using it on / off for the past 6 months, probably once or twice a month.

I've had issues with my battery requiring jump starts after long periods of inactivity, and I think there might be some parasitic drain on the battery that I will have to address once the weather gets warmer. Until then, and given that I only use this every so often, I am looking to install a battery disconnect switch that will let me easily disconnect the battery without unscrewing the side post terminals.

From my research online, it looks like one of the following is what I need, but I wanted to get a second opinion as I've never used one before. I will make sure to get one that has a instantaneous amp support for up to 1000 amps given my battery cranks at 875, and continuous amps of at least 125.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-74104

https://www.grainger.com/product/FLAMING-RIVER-Battery-Disconnect-Switch-5LPK5

Does anyone here have experience with these, or recommendations on switches that they've used in the past?
Original Poster [OP]
wisosim
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Battery Disconnect Switch

Postby Ray M » February 23rd 2021, 12:54am

Get yourself one of those trickle chargers from harbor freight.
Ray M
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): Ray
Van Model Year: 1992
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 1985 350 w454tbi

Postby tungtide » February 23rd 2021, 1:54am

The one from summit racing is not so good. I had one on my tractor and in no time I had to toss It. The Grainger one is better. Don’t have a part number don’t even remember where I got it but my Astro also sits and I installed a battery disconnect. Works great for me.
Attachments
5CFE8997-873A-4A58-99D9-68BC68D426F2.jpeg
I put it on. Neg side
Ken
tungtide
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: tungtide has been a member for 2 full yearstungtide has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 28
Alias (AKA): tungtide
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: 2002 LT AWD 1999 LS

Postby AstroWill » February 23rd 2021, 4:54am

$150 battery disconnect better come with installation ;)

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 109
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby sixsix » February 24th 2021, 10:16pm

Missed this thread a couple days ago...

Since The Van went from DD to Garage & Flower-Fetchin Hiway Demon...
- and considering all the elec crap I unknowingly mangled.
Had to either feed the battery w/ a "Maint. Gadget" or Disconnect it easily and Cheaply.
So - I got this:

1004 Terminal Switch-Front-Install

And The Van lounges in the Garage full time - I can leave the Hood open - Just tightened the Black Knob

Here's where I wrote up about the purchase & install - our '92 build:
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 33#p920833

Mostly pics and [email protected] price - about $7

I Love Peaches also & Wolverines and Gophers
sixsix
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA): Mike
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby MI_Ghost » February 28th 2021, 2:40pm

An often overlooked piece of useless trivia.
The battery neg cable is attached on the inside of the radiator support. This makes it a perfect spot to place a disconnect on the ground side.
~Ghost
Ast' Cargo: 2001 Astro Cargo
Beauty: 2009 Impala LT
MI_Ghost
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: MI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA): Ghost
Van Model Year: 2001
Extra Info: Big White RWD Box

Postby wisosim [OP] » March 1st 2021, 1:40am

Thanks for all the tips and feedback. I went to my local Autozone this weekend and bought this kill switch:

https://www.autozone.com/ignition/kill-switch/duralast-side-post-knife-switch/815834_0_0

It is a bit bigger profile than the ones you both shared, and due to the battery proximity to the right side of the bay, there is no room for the switch to operate if I connect it to the negative terminal of the battery. From my reading, it seems like people recommend installing these on the negative terminal (including the recommended install instructions of my switch), but I noticed in sixsix's example, his is attached to the positive.

Given that there is much more room on the positive side of the terminal for this switch, do you foresee any issues or danger with putting it on the positive side? It seems like it would work just fine but wanted to get another opinion on it before I try.
Original Poster [OP]
wisosim
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):

Postby sixsix » March 1st 2021, 2:46am

Well, I looked at that unit you mentioned at @ut0z0ne also.
Seemed a little light duty on the knife part and the 2 brass swivel & catch parts.
The one we bought - it is heavy 3/16" / 4.5 mm at ALL connection points.

The Knob Bolting it together can stay captive within the disc. part.
I should find a RED knob for it.

I could not find any reason NOT to use the POS. for the disc. and I asked around a few forums before going w/ it.
And as Ghost mentioned you could actually still use the NEG. post / term / wire...

1005 Terminal Switch-Side-Install

Just connect at the backside of the Rad. Support - I have a Yellow term that I added.
- you can see the short ( 10" ) NEG. section laying on the wire conduit and the 1/4-20 nut of grnd # G150.

I Love Peaches also & Wolverines and Gophers
sixsix
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA): Mike
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby AstroWill » March 1st 2021, 3:13am

wisosim wrote:It is a bit bigger profile than the ones you both shared, and due to the battery proximity to the right side of the bay, there is no room for the switch to operate if I connect it to the negative terminal of the battery. From my reading, it seems like people recommend installing these on the negative terminal (including the recommended install instructions of my switch), but I noticed in sixsix's example, his is attached to the positive.

Given that there is much more room on the positive side of the terminal for this switch, do you foresee any issues or danger with putting it on the positive side? It seems like it would work just fine but wanted to get another opinion on it before I try.

I don't care for the knife style, but they do work just as well. The problem with putting it on the positive terminal is that you are creating a huge contact area for something to accidentally contact it and create a direct short to ground. Same reason you remove the battery negative first and install it last.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 109
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches