Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

AWD driveline swap.

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  AngryPunk 
#1 ·
Quick question - removing engine and transmission from a 99 AWD subframe to put it a 99 AWD body with high Kms and a dead transmission. How much should be kept together? I was think of keeping these u-joints in place and keeping as much together as possible. Is that a bad idea for transportation or for installing in the new body? Is there a usual way people do this? Planning to keep everything except the frame (wheels, brakes, mounts, etc. ) as spares, even if they aren't needed. Grateful for suggestions.
Longer term plan is a V8 swap. I guess the other question is should I go to the trouble of installation a temporary engine or. Go straight to the V8? If I could get a decent V8 cheaply now, that would make sense.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Agree that NOW is the time to do the V8 while it's all apart!
But maybe the replacement V6 is good.. and your just not ready for the swap yet.
If you're not in a rush with this sub-frame swap... I'd probably wait for the V8.

BTW.. you do NOT need a special oil-pan if you lift the engine about 2"... just enough to clear the front differential. Of course you would also need to have minimum 2" lift or more of body lift to make it fit. This is how I will be doing my 2000 when the time comes.

As far as how much to keep intact if you want to just put the whole subframe in as is... why not! If you think it's all in good shape... then it's nice to be able to just pop the entire subframe right in.

But again, changing certain items while it's out can greatly ease the job. Motor-mounts for sure! Steering components and "some" suspension parts aren't too difficult to change later if they seem fine now. Personally, I certainly wouldn't worry too much about appearance or stuff you can't see.

Your call...

PS: I wouldn't worry about the cv-axles unless you know they are bad.
It's probably about the same amount of work whether subframe is installed or not.

#4 ·
Good tips, thank you. I guess I need a working vehicle soon as a top priority. So maybe I will hold off on the V8. Booting the new subframe on is very tempting except that unfortunately it is rusted. So that's not an option. I'll salvage what I can. Not sure about current CV joints but the vehicle has 480k Kms so the new ones are probably better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.